October 20, 2016 - UPDATE: Yearwood gets bail Kwame Everton Dashawn Yearwood, 17, ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Wanted man surrenders Police  now have in custody 42-yea ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Teen charged in connection with ‘sex tape’ Police have arrested and formally c ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Teen’s living arrangements worry magistrate Information from a 17-year-old male ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Young cricketers show their mettle Reveria Cottle struck a well-played ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Look to organic farming – UNDP official A senior official of the United Nat ... +++

Sammy sacked

West Indies captain confirms being dumped by selectors

Darren Sammy has been fired as captain of the West Indies Twenty20 team.

Sammy, who four months ago led the regional side to their second International Cricket Council Twenty20 title, upstaged any official announcement from the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB), by taking to social media to reveal that he had been dismissed by the selectors.

Darren Sammy has been given “out” by the West Indies selectors.

Darren Sammy has been given “out” by the West Indies selectors.

Sammy, who has retired from Test cricket but is still available in the two shorter forms of the game, posted a video on his Facebook account today where he said he would not be West Indies T20 captain anymore. Sammy said the chairman of selectors Courtney Browne had informed him via a 30-second phone call that the selectors had “reviewed the captaincy of T20” and he did not merit a place in the West Indies squad.

“I got a call yesterday morning, it was probably 30 seconds, from the chairman of selectors telling me that they’ve reviewed the captaincy of T20 and I won’t be captain anymore of the T20 team, [and] my performances have not merited selection in the squad,” Sammy said in the video.

“But that’s okay, I’ve always believed West Indies cricket is not about Darren Sammy. They are looking to the future and I want to wish the new captain – I don’t know if it’s out yet so I won’t call any names – all the best as he looks to lead West Indies cricket and take it forward.

“Obviously, throughout my captaincy, winning the two [T20] World Cups has been the highlight. And these memories I will cherish for a long time. This is not me retiring from one-day or T20, it’s just me thanking the fans and my players and the coaches I’ve worked with and WICB for…yeah, letting me lead the side for the last six years. But for now the captaincy has come to an end and thank you people.

“I just know I played with my heart and soul whenever I stepped out on the cricket field,” he said.

A visibly emotional Sammy started by talking about the CPL campaign of his team St Lucia Zouks, that lost the eliminator to Trinbago Knight Riders last night, before talking about losing his West Indies captaincy and his exclusion from the T20 squad. The limited-overs team is scheduled to play two T20Is against India in Florida at the end of the month.

“Six years ago I was asked to captain West Indies, a task which I fought [and] would be the biggest challenge in my career, in my life. A task which I know would be so difficult but guess what…I took it head on. I embraced the challenge, I embraced the difficulty. I turn up at the office which is my playground, the cricket field, every day and put in the work.

“I started off with Ottis Gibson [then West Indies coach]. I want to thank you buddy for believing in me and now it has ended up with Phil [Simmons]. To my players all over the years, who’ve been part of the team and who’ve been under my captaincy, I want to thank you all for all the support. We’ve had our ups and downs but I have never given up hope, I have never stopped believing in myself and in the team. That is what I was about as captain – trying to instill positive, never-say-die attitude into my players. The result we won two World Cups and I want to thank all of you.”

Sammy also led the West Indies to victory in the 2012 Twenty20 World Cup in Sri Lanka. However, in this year’s tournament the affable St Lucian was hardly a factor with either bat or ball. He faced 13 balls in his three innings, scored eight runs, and bowled three overs, taking one wicket. He has played 66 Twenty20 Internationals, scored 534 runs at an average of 15.70, a strike rate of 148.74 and 42 his highest score. He has also taken 44 wickets at an average of 24.27 and an economy rate of 7.28.

Sammy led West Indies in 47 Twenty20 Internationals starting in 2011, with 27 wins. After winning the T20 title in Kolkata in April this year, he had given an emotional speech at the post-match presentation, expressing his disappointment at the lack of support from the WICB and criticising its administration.

Following his outburst in India after winning the T20 title in April, WICB president Dave Cameron issued a public statement in which he apologized to the global audience for what he deemed Sammy’s “inappropriate comments” and promised to enquire into the reasons for them and to have the matter addressed.

Before that official statement had been released, Cameron, like Sammy, an avid user of social media, had posted a sarcastic tweet in response to Sammy’s comments stating: “When is the last time a critic paid one of your bills? Always remember that when you start to give them your energy.”

This makes the second occasion a sacked West Indies player has taken to social media to relate being dropped. Prior to the start of the ongoing West Indies/India series, wicketkeeper Denesh Ramdin had tweeted about his exclusion from the Test side. His tone, however, was much different to Sammy’s as he berated Browne, questioning his ability as both selector and former West Indies wicketkeeper.

13 Responses to Sammy sacked

1. Sarifa August 5, 2016 at 11:29 pm

Best of luck Sammy. May Gid bless you in all your future endeavours. Let me encourage you that we can’t always be on the mountain but our valley experiences causes us to look upward once again and by the grace of God you wil be back on top of the mountain.
    Take heart the major problem with WI cricket is not so much the players but the WICB. Good leaders get people to follow. Our selection board never picks a righr team. They discourage instead of encouraging and I say that withou prejudice or apology.

2. Coralita August 6, 2016 at 1:53 am

Sammy, it is not over until God says it is over. Your life and outcomes are in your hands not the hand of these infantile selectors. Move forward with faith, you have a good heart and that will take you places.

In life it is good to detach yourself from toxic people and situations like the WICB. This bunch have proven to be failures, they don’t have a clue about leadership and they lack inspiration so they can’t pass on what they don’t have.

Dave Cameron and crew can take full marks for stunting the growth of West Indies cricket, when arrogance was giving away he got a huge portion. I have zero support for this bunch.

3. seagul August 6, 2016 at 5:32 am

With all respect and blessings for Jamaica on this special day of celebration. A day which my Jamaican grand dad had always celebrated in Bim. But unto the arrogant pack surrounding Cameron I wish woe….

4. harry turnover August 6, 2016 at 7:30 am

Good riddance ! you cannot eat biscuits and whistle at the same time thou fool.
    People say that players got rights and I agree…NO PROBLEM WITH THAT…..BUT…the BOARD AND SELECTORS GOT RIGHTS TOO.
    All those saying that Sammy was right to have critisized and embarrassed the Board ( his EMPLOYERS ) on the WORLD WIDE WEB,should try doing the SAME to their EMPLOYERS and come on this forum and say if they still GOT A JOB.

5. Phil August 6, 2016 at 8:45 am

I’m taking no side on this seemingly contentious issue. All I can visualize is the rest of the cricketing world are witnessing the destruction of West Indies Cricket from within, and are laughing their hearts off. Instead of a 30 seconds dismissive phone call, Perhaps the WICB senior management team should have flown Mr. Sammy in to their headquarters, sit him down in a meeting, listen to his grievances, clearly outline theirs, then read him the riot act. It’s just a case of acting professionally and not autocratically. Coralita, AKA miss undecided, Girl you don’t sleep? 1:53 a.m.? Somebody should have been batting on your wicket. If I know them, Barbados Today will not post this comment. I wrote nothing wrong nor disrespectful.

• Coralita August 6, 2016 at 6:02 pm

Phil sweetheart, I could not sleep. I was up cheering on my man Chris Gayle and the Tallawahs to victory in the CPL.

My man Russell batted like a beast and scored a century.

The wicket first class but there is no cricketer in the wings. lolololol

6. Green Giant August 6, 2016 at 9:30 am

The players previously had a problem with the selectors informing the media of their non – selection before informing them first. They and we the public thought that method of communicating through the media was down right disrespectful.

Now the Chairman of selectors is calling them first to inform them of the decision of the selection panel prior to making a public statement, and they are the ones now going public with the information. Yes I supported you throughout your challenging period as captain Sammy, and I too agree that the board is termite infested and the house needs rebuilding, but I’ve come to realise that the team also needs a purge to allow the cricketing side to settle down. The ship was once more losing the rudder, and it truly is time for major maintenance, new captain and crew members. I want to thank you Darren, and hope very soon to be able to say thank you to some other members of your crew. WI should host a benefit T20 match for you all and present all of you with retirement medals.

• Coralita August 6, 2016 at 5:56 pm

Name one, just one of the previous players who exited West Indies cricket with dignity. WICB has no respect for the players. As recent as Chanderpaul, what did they do for him?

What you are suggesting is wishing thinking at its best.

I hope these guys invested their monies wisely over the years and that they can forget WIBC and chart new courses for themselves.

7. Donna Harewood August 6, 2016 at 11:02 am

To Whom it May Concern

Sammy left a contract in the Nat West Tournament in England to come to the CPL. During the IPL he was on the television mike. I am sure he will continue to prosper. You see, he is not a hateful person. And he is very positive.

• Coralita August 6, 2016 at 5:46 pm

Donna, thank you for saying that.

That’s why I said earlier that his life and outcomes are not in the hands of this infantile bunch.

Sammy will continue to prosper.

8. Donna Harewood August 6, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Coralita, some people think that the WICB members are the owners of West Indies cricket and therefore are the EMPLOYERS. Really though they are just the MANAGERS as the cricket belongs to all of us. A recent court case in India examined this phenomenon in great detail and quite predictably came to the conclusion that the Indian people had a stake in Indian cricket and that the BCCI could not do anything it pleased.

9. BoboTheClown August 6, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Sammy, skills can be imparted,but the will to persist ,and persevere is inborn.It’s a talent you have been blessed with my friend . Well done …mate .Hold your head high.

10. Fred August 7, 2016 at 11:47 am

I totally agree with Ramdins sentiments regarding Courtney Browne.He does not have the credential as administrator and as is Phil Simmons ,he reeks of mediocrity. ..’re.Steve Waugh @ Sabina..dropped..Anyhow..if Sammy docent merit his place neither Holder or Brathwaite does..