October 25, 2016 - Vehicle overturns at Warrens Police say no injuries were reporte ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Digital direction Send and receive money digitally, e ... +++ October 25, 2016 - GG winding down school visits In a matter of weeks, once all goes ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Husbands, Walcott brilliant in Canada TORONTO, Canada – Veteran Bar ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Many positives on Windies A tour DAMBULLA, Sri Lanka – Head co ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Dismissal of iMart cashier raises eyebrows The Labour Department is said to be ... +++

Melissa’s last rest

Young woman dies suddenly while taking afternoon nap

Melissa Eastmond, a 27-year-old mother of three, told her family some time early Tuesday afternoon that she felt tired and was going to take a rest. Not long after, her mother was discovering Melissa’s lifeless body in the bed in which she had sought repose.

When Barbados TODAY visited Melissa’s home at Work Hall, St Philip around noon Wednesday, her mother Cora Eastmond was overcome with grief. Her shirt soaked with tears, she said she had not stopped crying since she found the fourth of her six children dead around 1:30 p.m. yesterday, leaving behind two-year-old twin boys Jaylen and Jayden and their nine-month-old sister Jelissa.

A grief-stricken Cora Eastmond being comforted by her daughter Gaile Eastmond as she holds her deceased daughter Melissa Eastmond’s (inset) baby close to her bosom.

Holding the baby, who seemed a little cranky, close to her bosom, Eastmond cried that it was heart-rending that her grandchildren were now without a mother.

Melissa was the only person in the household who worked and her unemployed mother is now wondering how she will find the emotional and financial strength to care for the children.

“These children don’t have a mother. I am really going to need help. I know I have to do it but I don’t know where to start or how to start. I just don’t know what to do and I am asking the Lord to show me what to do,” a shaken Eastmond said.

The woman explained that Melissa had just returned home after taking her baby to a doctor’s appointment and sat in the living room chatting with others when she suddenly complained that she was feeling tired and was going to the bedroom for a rest.

The mother said minutes later, while doing dishes in the kitchen, she heard the little girl, who was lying next to her mum, crying.

When the child would not stop crying, Eastmond asked Melissa’s younger sister Faye to see what was going on, she said, only for Faye to realize her sister was unresponsive.

“Up to now I still can’t come to grips with my daughter’s death. I just cannot come to grips with this. My daughter was not sick that I know about. The thing that hurting me is that she gone long and left three young children,” Eastmond lamented,  explaining that she did not sleep last night because she had to comfort the children.

Eastmond described her daughter as a kind, loving and helpful individual who dedicated her life to her three children and would give the little she had to those in need.

The Eastmond family is still trying to come to terms with the sudden death of their loved one, Melissa Eastmond. Here, Melissa’s sister Gaile (left) and mother Cora hold on to Eastmond’s three children.

The deceased was employed at a cleaning firm and never said no when she was called to work on her days off because every dollar earned went into meeting the children’s needs.

“My daughter would tell me, ‘mummy, I get called into work and for the sake of the children I going and catch a dollar bill’.

“Even if Melissa ain’t feeling well and they call her she would still put on her clothes and go and spend all the money on her children,” she said.

The grieving mother said she would welcome any assistance she got to help with her grandchildren because she was determined to keep a promise she had made to her daughter.

“Earlier this year Melissa asked me to take care of the children if anything happen to her. She say, ‘mummy if anything happen to me I don’t want anybody else raise my children but you. The father could come and look for them but I want you to raise my children’. I will do it,” Eastmond pledged.

“I just can’t believe that my child gone,” she repeated.

The two had planned to celebrate Eastmond’s 58th birthday tomorrow at Q in the Community, but the mother was mourning instead, she added.

An autopsy will be carried out to determine the cause of death.

20 Responses to Melissa’s last rest

1. leroy July 28, 2016 at 1:04 am

Cleaning firm? Chemicals?

2. Joceline Blackett
    Joceline Blackett July 28, 2016 at 1:29 am

May her soul rest in peace. Condolences to her family, friends and colleagues.

3. Nashauny Armstrong
    Nashauny Armstrong July 28, 2016 at 1:41 am

Sad just sad may her soul R.I.P. I pray this mom gets some help for the kids. My sincere condolences to you all

4. Jason Belle
    Jason Belle July 28, 2016 at 4:24 am

Wow. It sounded like she literally worked to death. So sad. The rest of the household will have to step up.

5. Carson C Cadogan July 28, 2016 at 7:42 am

I guess she had an NCD as well.

Rest in peace.

6. kathy-Ann Clarke July 28, 2016 at 8:06 am

This is so sad. Condolences to the the family and loved ones, and I pray for the sake of the little ones, the required help will come to this family. May she rest in peace.

7. Smiley July 28, 2016 at 8:37 am

Sympathies to the family and friends,may God bless and comfort you all now and in the future.FATHER OF THE CHILDREN STEP UP TO THE PLATE,YOU ARE THE NEXT PERSON TO CARE SUPPORT AND BE PRESENT IN THE CHILDREN LIVES.. Chemicals from work may have been in the body hope that we find out what caused her death.Mom,sis trust God to help you Jesus cares. Sorry for your lost.

8. Jackson Unplugged July 28, 2016 at 10:06 am

My heart aches for this family. My deepest sympathies to all who are and will be affected.

The song that I sung in my workplace’s in iouse competition speaks to sudden deaths and the stresses of life that are taking toils on us daily.

For closure and to be able to educate others on what we are doing wrong, please make sure you find out what is the cause of death.

9. Angela Fergusson July 28, 2016 at 10:25 am

Condolences to the family of Melissa!
    I noted she took her baby to the doctor which is a good thing, however perhaps she was sick and unfortunately did not pay attention to the signs because she saw the most urgent need (to her); that of, taking care of her children.
    It is very possible Melissa suffered a bleed in her brain (aneurysm).
    I wish the family well and look forward to the children’s father to be financially and lovingly take care of these precious young ones. Their grandmother is willing, and can play a big role, but she needs much support and help. Through God, Providence will be given.

10. Ormond Mayers July 28, 2016 at 12:11 pm

I am so sadden by this, the loss of a mother to those three angels. However, I do hope that the father of those children,
    would assist you financially, in raring those three kids.

It is time men understand their social responsibility.

11. omari July 28, 2016 at 6:24 pm

I’m sorry we have to go any way some way blessed to her and you mom I think she is in a better place, love too you all

12. Francia Matthews July 28, 2016 at 6:52 pm

I know that family. My condolences to them. They mother and grandmother was my mother’s best friend. Sorry to hear this. I am in a bad situation financially but I can help in others way

13. Roselyn english July 28, 2016 at 7:40 pm

Could it be a possibility that she knew she was sick since she ask her mom to raise her kids?either way it is so sad.may her soul find the family have faith and be strong with god all things is possible

14. Ingrid Husbands-Griffith July 28, 2016 at 8:46 pm

My condolences go out to you. May her soul rest in peace and rise in glory. I do not claim to have much but what little I have i will try to help you out mam.

15. Von July 28, 2016 at 9:45 pm

My heart aches for this family; so sadddd.
    Maybe a Fund can be started to assist these little ones.
    So saddddd

16. ch July 28, 2016 at 10:58 pm

My condolences to her mum and entire family. R.I.P, Melissa.

17. PattyCake July 29, 2016 at 12:18 am

Life is so uncertain. My condolences to her family. I pray that God will give gran and the siblings of the deceased the strength to deal with this death. I also pray that God will provide in a big way for this household so that these children’s basic needs and more will be met in the name of Jesus. Sleep on Melissa

18. Doreen Tisdale Hutchinson July 29, 2016 at 1:08 am

My deepest condolences to you and your family. I’m very saddened at this time. May God give you strength and mercy.

19. roxanne July 29, 2016 at 8:09 am

this brought up chills all over my body we really never know what to expect that ‘s why we have to live for Jesus my heart goes out for the entire family.

20. Michelle July 29, 2016 at 9:06 am

Truly sad, my condolences to her family and God bless those kids, it’ll be tough for the family but by God’s grace they will pull through it.