October 26, 2016 - Wanted man bulletin Police are seeking the assistance o ... +++ October 26, 2016 - School feeding programmes could help fight NCDs A food and nutrition official has i ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Government has run out of options – Arthur Government’s fiscal policy is inf ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Sick airline A top official of regional airline ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Teachers back away from court threat The Barbados Union of Teachers (BUT ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Beacon supports regulatory move Beacon Insurance Company is giving ... +++

Shot down

Man accused of shooting cop killed by police

Mere hours before he was to surrender to lawmen in the company of his lawyer Andrew Pilgrim, QC, wanted man Romario Lashley was shot and killed by police this afternoon.

Lashley, 20, of Downes Gap, Arthur Seat, St Thomas, had been on the run since July 9 after he was accused of shooting and wounding 35-year-old police officer Shane Newton of Foul Bay,
St Philip.

Pilgrim told Barbados TODAY he spoke to Lashley two hours before he passed away just after 5 p.m., and the lawyer is now calling for a thorough and impartial investigation into the circumstances surrounding the young man’s death.

From left, Romario Lashley’s mother Maxine (left), his girlfriend Makayla and  friend Rasheed are trying to come to terms with news of his death. Inset,  the late Combermere student who  was gunned down by police this afternoon.

From left, Romario Lashley’s mother Maxine (left), his girlfriend Makayla and friend Rasheed are trying to come to terms with news of his death.

“I spoke to him a few hours ago and we made arrangements for him to go into police tomorrow. His father told me he wanted to go today but for some reason I guess that didn’t work out.

“And he said, ‘I want to go in tomorrow’. I asked if he could go for 11[a.m.] and he said, ‘11, 12’ and I said, ‘let’s settle on noon’ and he said ‘alright’. We agreed how he would contact me and so on and then I got this message,” Pilgrim explained, the shock in his voice palpable.

The attorney-at-law said before word had reached him about the young man’s death, he had heard that he was in police custody. The lawyer said he called different police stations but “they said they didn’t have him”.

“And then basically the next thing I heard is that he was dead. The family paid in the money in advance from last week. I spoke to the boy just now. It is an unfortunate situation. It is always strange when you talk to somebody and then moments later you hear that they are not alive,” Pilgrim told Barbados TODAY.

Police issued a bulletin on July 19 seeking the public’s assistance in locating Lashley, who was being sought in connection with a number of serious criminal matters.

Lawmen said he was considered armed and dangerous and should not be approached by members of the public.

Barbados TODAY understands that after police executed a search warrant at 4th Avenue, Harts Gap, Christ Church this afternoon, a confrontation ensued in which Lashley was shot multiple times.

Romario Lashley

Romario Lashley

He was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital by ambulance, where he was pronounced dead just after 5 p.m.

His mother Maxine, who had earlier appealed to her son to turn himself over to the authorities, said she was not surprised at the way in which her son died.

In an interview with Barbados TODAY on July 11, the woman said she believed her son had gone into hiding because he feared for his life, and she too, was worried he could meet a violent end.

“I want Romario Lashley to please contact me so that I will be able to take him in because at the present moment I am living in fear that he may lose his life . . . . I really don’t want it to come to that,” she said at the time.

Tonight, dropping to the ground at her house while resting her head on a chair for comfort, a grieving Maxine told Barbados TODAY she had prayed her son’s life would not have ended this way.

She said from the time police visited her home in search of the former Combermerian in connection with the shooting on Saturday July 9, she knew “this was going to happen”.

“My son is dead. From day one I knew this is what they were gunning for. I mean it is alleged he shot an officer in his arm. I have not seen him or spoken to him to hear his side,” she said.

The mother said she had received word about Lashley’s death through various sources, but it was confirmed when a female officer visited her home to give her the bad news.

“I could not move. As a mother to get news like that you feel something is dragging your inside out. My whole body just feels as if it is locked down. She was talking and it wasn’t even registering. I am hurting.

“But what I would like them to know is they have taken him out of this world, but God doesn’t sleep and he surely doesn’t take vacations. Retribution will come for everybody. I have left it in God’s hands and justice will be served,” Lashley said, adding that she was feeling mentally and physically drained.

The last time Maxine saw her son’s face was the morning before the officer was shot.

“I didn’t even get the chance to let my child know that I love him. Despite what might have transferred, I love him and I will always love him. That was my child,” she lamented.

The three siblings of the deceased could not hold back the tears when they heard they would never see their brother alive again.

And his father, while comforting Maxine, could not hide the pain he felt. Friends who converged at the house were also in a state of shock.

Police cordoned off the scene where the youth was shot. However, residents gathered at vantage points to catch a glimpse of what was taking place.

Public Relations Officer of the Royal Barbados Police Force Acting Assistant Superintendent David Welch told Barbados TODAY that investigations would continue into the matter.

29 Responses to Shot down

1. Troy Hunte
    Troy Hunte July 26, 2016 at 11:42 pm

Oh btw…all the prayers ain’t go work…stop looking for answers from the invisible sky daddy and look logically inwardly and solve ya own problems ….this stupidness

2. Stanton Peace
    Stanton Peace July 26, 2016 at 11:56 pm

from the moment that the attorney received the money they should have taken him in,you cannot be planning for tomorrow if he is a fugitive and is being sought by the police. The delay in surrendering immediately should have been avoided.

3. Joan Wickham
    Joan Wickham July 27, 2016 at 12:12 am

why did he not turned himself in with his father or mother, why as he talk to an attorney, the police found him/shot him, was he shooting at them was he alone in the house, so many questions,, either way he would have ended up dead , because he shot at a cop,allegedly , sad ending

4. ch July 27, 2016 at 1:38 am

It is really sad that a young life ended this way. We all have ignorance in us when we are young and we are just lucky when we get that second or third chance. If we do wrong, we have to stand and face it.
    But sometimes, there is no turning back and I ask young people to stop and think hard about their choices.
    This young man had to be scared and desperate and I have to wonder why he was not taken in yesterday as he wanted to do. He would be alive. Just like all of the murderers walking about our streets. But that is past.
    He was a son, a brother and grandson and I extend condolences to his family and pray for God’s mercy to him and them.
    -” In every human being, there is something worth our love. Deserving of our care- Because within us all- Something of God is there”.

5. Judith Hebson
    Judith Hebson July 27, 2016 at 2:39 am

Really can’t understand why this lad was on the run, whoever was keeping him should have got him to surrender, but why shoot him multiple times, was the lad shooting at anyone, rip boy, my condolences go to yr family & the family of the policeman who u shot 🙁 tragic stories all round, sad waste of so many involved

6. Kim Gaskin
    Kim Gaskin July 27, 2016 at 3:34 am

Power n the tongue… That’s exactly what mummy say would happen. I am not surprised!
    Always always speak with a positive tongue…

7. Ricardo July 27, 2016 at 3:40 am

Pilgrim seems so distraught, but all im wondering is this money going to be returned? As an attorney, you should have had fugitive and money , not money alone, so spare us your concern.

8. Frank Gilkes July 27, 2016 at 5:50 am

His mother and father should cry because they gave the world this young man who chose a life of crime. At twenty he made no significant contribution to society except to help put money in the coffers of a lawyer and twenty years from now only his family will remember that he was here. Yes mum and dad, cry because you failed to give the contry and the world a responsible and productive citizen in exchange for the opportunities offered in education which he obviously rejected, along with his lack of parental guidence and discipline.

• bubbles 69 July 27, 2016 at 7:36 am

How they refuse to produce a good person, he is 2o years old and had a mind of his own, he knew what he was doing and did so he have only him to blame, some people raise in the church and what happen when they get to adult age, what they want, stop blaming his parents, he is to blame for his actions, good or bad, school church where ever isn’t to blame

• ch July 27, 2016 at 11:55 pm

@ bubbles 69- Bajans are experts at judging other people’s parenting and their children. without knowing any facts. But they believe they are perfect and that their own children are God’s last gift and do not realize that anything can happen to anyone at anytime. That is why life brings them to their knees sometimes to learn that we are all human and flawed. Today for these parents and their son but tomorrow for them and theirs. And they will want the understanding and compassion that they will not give this family.
        And- newsflash- the world will forget all of us when we leave it.

9. Sherlock Holmes. July 27, 2016 at 6:10 am

You actually had the family’s money a week in advance and it appears that you were very tardy in getting this young man into police custody,i consider your actions to be very irresponsible a man is wanted for an alleged serious crime and you have been conversing with him over the phone about when to meet you to go in,Sir it was your duty once you had that money in advance to go for him as soon as possible and transport him to the police. I doubt very much that if he was in, let’s say in your vehicle that there would have been such a turn of events. Some body fouled up here and i do not think it is the police.It is also clear to me that you with all of your influence apparently did not inform the police of your intended plans and to me this is another lapse in judgement that has led to the present outcome of this situation.

• harry turnover July 27, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Well said Mr.Holmes.

• Coralita July 27, 2016 at 9:59 pm

Sherlock I agree with you 150%.

I could not believe what I was reading, he was sitting down on the people money, Wah it couldn’t get interest so fast!!!

10. Richard Braithwaite July 27, 2016 at 7:30 am

The moral in this story is……
    Do not mess with firearms….unless you are in the police / army
    or defence force……
    Why is this young man in possession of a gun….
    and shot , alleged ..that is…..a cop….
    What good did he think would come of it….????
    Live by the sword / there’s a possibility that you will die by it as well…….my condolences go out to this young man’s family..
    Lessons will have to be learnt from this…..gun tooting nonsense..!

11. 3rdsun July 27, 2016 at 7:44 am

Good observation Sherlock. Mr Pilgrim should be shamed.

12. Alan agard July 27, 2016 at 7:47 am

Troy hunte it is amazing how silly you have become But I will continue to pray for you !!!

13. Deborah moore July 27, 2016 at 8:05 am

We all shudder when a young life has been taken by violence. But at 21 something is seriously wrong , he was afforded an education but choose another way of life. Parents I know u grieve but where was you in all this. What morals do were renforced did did you show him a better way. Did you pray with him did you give him that spiritual guidancee. All these questions need bee bee answered and why did he choose a life of crime. U paid the lawyer why did he was running away from what ? It showed you parents had no influence over him not even the lawyer could not get him to commit to a time 11 or 12 not my words pilgrim own. Before we going blaming the authorities assess and see where we as we as members of this society has gone wrong in cultivating a value system in our young people. I pray God loving comfort to his grieving relatives and that it draws them closer to God.

14. Enimej July 27, 2016 at 8:26 am

GOD gave him life and allowed him to be here…I am disturbed at some of the comments…Tell me at age twenty where your life was?…and if anything I hope the young boys in every community would learn from this…as unfortunate as it is…We have a wild wild west communities and somebody preying on our youth because in almost every community the young boys showing off with the guns! So we have a bigger issue on our hands. I really hope that people talking bout prayers not gonna work and u have to work inwardly know that there is only so much you can do as a parent! and I hope you never had to call out to God for anything…think about that! I hope persons talking have children because u can raise a child and do so much but at the same time you don’t ever leave them or neglect them…you talk and talk and keep talking and letting them know you are there for them and hope that your words and voice stay on their minds…So please…Until you are ever placed in a situation…u will never understand!

15. Mika B July 27, 2016 at 8:33 am

The police had to plans on bringing in this young man alive. They heard the story of the colleuge and that’s the story they were sticking with. They didn’tcare if this young man was iinnocent or not. To the family of this young man, my deepest sympathy to you. To those who are suppose to serve and protect, Only you know the real story as to how Romario met his death and you already had your intentions. But remember God isn’t sleeping and Karma is a ………..

16. Wayne July 27, 2016 at 8:46 am

BLM….. BAJANS LIVES MATTER, These acts of execution by law enforcement must be addressed, officers are to fight crime not be judge, jury, and executioner.

• miche July 27, 2016 at 9:04 pm

Wayne,,,Criminals murder each other so often,and you never came out and called it as you did here,,,Why is that? you share the same criminal mind as they,,,you are an ANTI person… Anti Police,,Anti law,,Anti justice. you Anti people bother me

• harry turnover July 28, 2016 at 6:34 am

WAYNE….. you is a top class FOOLBERT…shooting at the POLICE en a CRIME eh ? so wha you tink de Police did dey to do ?…..FIGHT A CRIME ya EDIOT !

17. harry turnover July 27, 2016 at 7:18 pm

@ Wayne….ya talking SH8.!….cops lives matter too ! if that force ripe gun slinger didn’t shoot at the Police in the FIRST PLACE they wouldn’t have been there to FIGHT THAT CRIME and as you say to be jury and executioner too

18. Carl July 28, 2016 at 12:11 am

I concur with Sherlock. I wonder what the people would be saying if the police had died. Cast the blame where it belongs. He wasted a free education at Cawmere. He chose to become involved in criminal activity. He refused to contact his mother as she had publicly requested. The attorney had their money well in advance and seemingly failed to notify the police of his intentions. I doubt that the police would have shot an unarmed man. This isn’t the US. We must see things as they are and stop this anti police mentality. If he had surrendered he would be alive.

19. Sherlock Holmes. July 28, 2016 at 6:25 am

Carl, you really believe that he did not contact his mother? These so called bad boys run to mummy every time they do foolishness more so than daddy, he may have avoided going back home as he would have been aware that a warrant had been previously executed at his parents home,but i am sure that he and mummy conversed over the phone and she knew exactly where he was,the attorney it appears knew as well. I hold fast to my view that the attorney has to share some of the responsibility for the outcome of this situation,to me it can be viewed as neglect of one’s duty and i bet you in an effort to cover his apparent negligence you will see him all over the media parading about the police and their actions in this matter,but in our society certain people can literally say and do anything without any form punitive action or consequences when they foul up.may the boy’s parents now need some legal advice on how to deal with a tardy lawyer.

20. Sherlock Holmes. July 28, 2016 at 6:27 am

correction,…..should read maybe the boy’s parents…

21. Bitterfly July 28, 2016 at 9:08 pm

I agree with you Sherlock Holmes. This guy knew a bulletin was issued for him and he had ample time to turn himself in, his parents should have made sure of it. And not wait until this happen and blame the police for doing their job.

22. peter July 28, 2016 at 11:38 pm

Do u know police ? A lot are dishonest the system is corrupted sorry to say his life gone for not .cause if he plan turn self in then why would he confront police make no sense .if the person who kill him was right ok but if not she call God to deal with ir and it be well done