October 22, 2016 - Helping Haiti The Help Haiti Today Radiothon, has ... +++ October 22, 2016 - St James man nursing stab wounds One woman is assisting police with ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Teen remanded Eighteen-year-old Adam Harris of En ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Police probe Wildey fire Police are investigating a fire whi ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Intrigue among Barbados Pride With the start of the 2016-17 West ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Water hope Relief could soon be on the way for ... +++

Last ride

Pensioner dies on his way to the bank

A 69-year-old man who collapsed and died Tuesday morning while riding his bicycle along the Graeme Hall stretch of the ABC Highway suffered from high blood pressure and heart disease, family members have revealed.

While it has not yet been determined what killed Chalmer Jones of Maxwell, Christ Church, his wife and children told Barbados TODAY Tuesday afternoon the former Government employee had been diagnosed with a heart defect.

Chalmer Jones

Chalmer Jones

Jones was on his way to the bank in Wildey, St Michael to change his pension cheque when he collapsed and died around 11:45 a.m.

Speaking to Barbados TODAY at their Christ Church home, family members said they were having a tough time coming to grips with the sudden death.

They said in addition to his health concerns, Jones had also been worrying over an ongoing court battle over a land dispute.

His wife Marcia Lashley-Jones said since being diagnosed with the heart defect, her husband had consistently used his prescribed medication and followed his doctor’s strict guidelines.

“I don’t know what happen today. I know the doctor tell he that if he riding and feel the heart start to trouble he, to get off and catch himself.

“But nobody wasn’t there with he. He was alone. He was worrying about this thing [land dispute]; up to this morning he was telling me about it. Only God knows,” the grieving wife, who found out about the untimely death on her way home from a trip to town early this afternoon, told Barbados TODAY.

Lashley-Jones also said her husband had recently complained of tightness in the chest.

Jones’ youngest daughter Nicole was the first family member to find out about the man’s passing.

While driving past the scene she saw the body and immediately felt it was her father.

Upon checking with the police officers present, she was told that the officers were travelling in a vehicle behind the elderly man when his bicycle started to wobble. They said he got off before he collapsed.

Ambulance personnel responded to the incident but he was dead by the time they got there.

“I see the police vehicle and then I see a man on the ground; I tell my friend ‘I hope that ain’t my father’. So when we passing I tell my friend turn around because I want to see,” Nicole recalled.

“When I get out and went I see the bicycle because I know nobody else ain’t got no bicycle like my father own. Then I notice the shoes because nobody don’t wear shoes like my father.

“When I get a little closer the police ask me if I know this man and I say, ‘that is my father’. When them raise up the sheet that was he,” the daughter continued as she described the tragic discovery.

Nicole said her father, who retired from his job as a watchman about two years ago following a career as a labourer with a Government institution, was a no nonsense person who did not entertain idle talk.

“It was so sudden. He died alone on that road,” Gale Williams, another daughter, lamented.

Police say no foul play was suspected.

16 Responses to Last ride

1. Lisa Moore
    Lisa Moore July 19, 2016 at 11:27 pm

My condolences to his family

2. Maria Leclair Dasilva
    Maria Leclair Dasilva July 19, 2016 at 11:41 pm

Perhaps Bajans can now stop with their stupid unfounded speculations of government conspiracy, pesticides, something in the water etc and understand people die for health reasons. I am glad the family allowed his cause of death to become public, so as to give all the sceptics a reality check. My sincere condolences to his love ones.

• Harriette Carrington
      Harriette Carrington July 19, 2016 at 11:45 pm

Well said!

• Ashanda Coward
      Ashanda Coward July 20, 2016 at 12:24 am

You know right if that wasnt done it would be a whole big topic so that ease them smh

• John Herbert
      John Herbert July 20, 2016 at 12:41 am

Be careful with the information you put out there, no cause of death has been determined. The family said what he was dealing with, not what he died from, only an autopsy can determine cause of death.

Condolences to the family and may he rest in peace!

• Brien King
      Brien King July 20, 2016 at 12:59 am

Maria Leclair Dasilva, are you aware of all the other factors of the other deaths that occurred for you to make such a statement? Were you with those other people that died suddenly 24/7 that you would know exactly what they did not die from and what they have died from ? You fool, do yourself a favor and stop jumping to CONCLUSIONS.

• harry turnover July 20, 2016 at 7:50 am

Wha you doing up at that time ,you couldn’t sleep ? are you saying that when a person dies AWAY from home like on a road,a gas station,going into a rum shop that they die SUDDENLY ? and not someone who dies at HOME ? daiz what you trying to tell me ??

• Brien King
      Brien King July 20, 2016 at 1:15 am

Shumain McCollin, Hello

• Maria Leclair Dasilva
      Maria Leclair Dasilva July 20, 2016 at 1:45 am

Very much so Brien King. I also know that not everyone one dies while sleeping in bed, sitting back relaxing in their comfy recliner watching TV, or in hospital etc. etc. People die of natural causes and from illnesses everyday while doing anything and everything. It is not unusual for death to happen at anytime. It’s the people who are making a big deal about the deaths is what’s abnormal, not the deaths.

• harry turnover July 20, 2016 at 7:31 am

Brien King…you talking a roll. People don’t die suddenly….nobody en got life put down…people HAVE to die..some die as Maria at home others on the road some in Hospitals.some going up the steps of a shop to drink rum,some in the saddle….. EVERYWHERE people die WHEN THEIR TIME IS UP and because people die ON THE ROAD…AWAY from home as though people got to die at home…people like you say they die suddenly…..that is RUBBISH from the top draw.

• harry turnover July 20, 2016 at 7:33 am

Exactly !!

• Brien King
      Brien King July 20, 2016 at 1:50 am
  3. Joan Weekes
    Joan Weekes July 19, 2016 at 11:43 pm

Condolences to family

4. Shadia Forde
    Shadia Forde July 19, 2016 at 11:44 pm

My condolence to the family Jonesy may ur so rip

5. Alicia Roach
    Alicia Roach July 20, 2016 at 12:13 am

My condolences to the family

6. Valerie Small