October 21, 2016 - Teenager bamboozles England Teenage off-spinner Mehedi Hasan to ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Local weed cultivation on the rise Marijuana cultivation is on the ris ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Pollard vents on his failed UAE tour PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad – Kie ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Teen faces indecency charge A St George teen who was charged in ... +++ October 21, 2016 - GAIA wage dispute resolution in sight A prolonged and sometimes bitter wa ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Combermere thrash Graydon Sealy Former champions Graydon Sealy had ... +++

Hinkson steals a $6.99 bottle of rum from Massy

courtA 64-year-old man Wednesday pleaded guilty in the District ‘A’ No 1 Court to stealing a bottle of Mount Gay rum, valued at $6.99, from Massy Stores Supermarket.

George Averal Hinkson of 1st Avenue, Fariways Gardens, Rendezvous, Christ Church reportedly entered the supermarket on July 5 and was seen by security putting a number of items into a shopping cart.

He then went to the aisle where the alcoholic beverages are kept and was observed taking the bottle of rum from the shelf and putting it in the left pocket of his pants.

Hinkson then proceeded to the cashier, where he paid for the other items before attempting to leave the supermarket, but was stopped by security. A search was conducted and the bottle of rum was recovered.

“Sir, I honestly did not remember that I put the rum in my pocket. I told the lady that I was sorry and that I would pay. It was just an error . . . I put it in my pocket when I went to the ATM,” Hinkson told Magistrate Douglas Frederick.

However, the magistrate explained to Hinkson that by putting the item in his pocket, it looked as though he was stealing it.

“I have to take into consideration that you are 64-years-old, have no prior convictions, retired, and I will give you some credit for that. Not even some young people can remember some things . . . [but] at your age I don’t know if your memory is faulty  . . .. You helped build the country and you have asked for leniency, so I am going to give you a chance,” Frederick said.

“Learn from that. Rest assured you can only get treated as a first timer once,” the magistrate warned as Hinkson was reprimanded and discharged.

13 Responses to Hinkson steals a $6.99 bottle of rum from Massy

1. Anne Ince
    Anne Ince July 7, 2016 at 10:49 am

What a waste of time. This should have been settled at Massey. Does Security make money on the number of people turned in…so frivolous..smh

2. Michael A Clarke
    Michael A Clarke July 7, 2016 at 11:27 am

Wonder how you can get treated as a “first timer ” more than once ?

3. Ricardo Bascombe
    Ricardo Bascombe July 7, 2016 at 12:01 pm

4. Ryvan Bigman
    Ryvan Bigman July 7, 2016 at 12:05 pm

This is news? Wow smh

5. kathy-Ann Clarke July 7, 2016 at 12:28 pm

But, I mean if he say he will pay, Massy should’ve given him the chance to prove him self. Well, then if he could’nt pay, I feel they could have warned him or banned him from coming there. But I still feel he know what he was doing tho.

6. Sharon Woolley
    Sharon Woolley July 7, 2016 at 12:43 pm

It’s one thing thieving food because you have no money, but you don’t have to thieve rum.

• Kevin Cave
      Kevin Cave July 7, 2016 at 1:10 pm

I totally agree with you on this one.
      Utter foolishness.

7. Ezekiel Baker
    Ezekiel Baker July 7, 2016 at 12:44 pm

The rum might be 7 dollars, does that give anyone the green light. To takes what they choose, as long as its a few dollars. What business could keep afloat.

8. BoboTheClown July 7, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Why didn’t he try putting the other items in his pocket when he picked them up? I suppose he would say that the pocket was only so big ,but could hold the bottle of rum. I think if i were him and got off without either a fine or time in the can, i would have gone to my home and have a real strong drink .
    Stupidity is not an excuse in this case ,intent seemed to be more logical.

9. Earl Christie
    Earl Christie July 7, 2016 at 1:57 pm

LoL. Betta than drinking de water. LoL.

10. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce July 7, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Absent minded, a senior moment. It happens, give Hinkson the benefit of the doubt. Winner: Mount Gay Free Advertisement on social media. Loser: Tax Payers. All Massey had to do accept the payment for the rum and send Mr Hinkson on his way.

11. Donild Trimp July 7, 2016 at 8:30 pm

This is a total waste of the court’s time. Utter foolishness.

I agree petty theft must not be encouraged but why waste the taxpayers money prosecuting this frivolous act by a senior especially when the man offered to pay the six dollars.

Banana republic mentality.

12. The Negrocrat July 8, 2016 at 12:10 am

I once exited a gas station with a bottle of coke in my hands. I looked back and saw everyone watching me and didn’t understand why.
    These things happen and it could have been dealt with there and then.