Last Lap promoters not aware of any gun incident

The promoters of last Saturday’s Last Lap event held at Kensington Oval are seeking to distance themselves from a video, which has been circulated on social media this week of two young men showing off their guns at a recent show.

In a letter to Barbados TODAY this evening, attorney Santia Bradshaw spoke for the Last Lap promoters, who were not identified by name, saying “to the best of their knowledge no such incident took place at the Last Lap fete.

Santia Bradshaw
Santia Bradshaw

“Mr Lyte head of security engaged by the organizers of the event has also confirmed that all patrons were personally searched by male and female security personnel and metal detectors provided by the Kensington Oval Management Inc. were also used to detect weapons. They were also over 36 security personnel as well as trained dogs at the premises on the night,” Bradshaw’s letter said.

However, police are looking into the matter which has prompted at least one other group of promoters to step up security arrangements ahead of their inaugural event for the 2016 Crop Over season.

In a telephone interview today, Tremayne Austin, spokesman for Brewster’s Road Crew (BRC), said he was concerned about recent reports of violence on the island, adding that his committee was prepared to do whatever was necessary to ensure patrons’ safety.

“If there’s one thing we take seriously is security. What we have done this year is having our events in very secure facilities. Our first event is being held on the compound in the back of BDF [Barbados Defence Force] headquarters St Ann’s Fort and we adopted the BDF security. We will also be having the RBPF [Royal Barbados Police Force] as well. I don’t think you could want it better than that,” he told Barbados TODAY.

“Then we head over to Coast Guard base and we will be replicating the same thing. We are incorporating the people in Barbados that really take charge when it comes to security and violence. I can guarantee you that our patrons will feel extremely safe. They have always been safe before with the security firm we have worked with in the past and we will still work with them. We try to meet between the two, the private security and the BDF/RBPF.”

Austin, said he was quite concerned about the intentions of partygoers these days and urged them to come out and have good clean fun.

“I never thought the day would come when Barbados would get to this stage. All you can do is hope that the police and other security personnel be in a position to more or less control it. I was always concerned about the violence. For my patrons I try to promote clean fun. I don’t understand people looking to come out for fighting; you come out to have fun . . . especially during Crop Over when you have so many tourists coming into Barbados,” Austin added.

He said promoters should be committed to providing a safe partying environment for Barbadians at all events.

“I don’t have any fear when it comes to our events, I’m just in fear of the violence in general. But we are basically giving more confidence in BRC members and team that we could provide a safe environment. We have always done it and we will continue,” he stressed.

16 Responses to Last Lap promoters not aware of any gun incident

1. Loraine Bovell Warner
    Loraine Bovell Warner June 24, 2016 at 7:55 am

video clearly not in barbados

2. Kimberly Simmonds
    Kimberly Simmonds June 24, 2016 at 8:21 am

I wanted to know if it was bim forreal.. i heard it was pun a boat it clearly dont look like a boat

• Penny-Ann Waithe
      Penny-Ann Waithe June 24, 2016 at 10:03 am

Lol hahahahahahha it’s not on a boat you need to see the video for yourself…ohhhh and it’s not in bim

3. Mark Fenty
    Mark Fenty June 24, 2016 at 9:26 am

And because it isn’t in Barbados we ought not to be concern? Listen! We are all West Indians in these chain of islands, so therefore, it ought to concerned all of us.That is like a Texan saying to a Californian, I don’t care what is going on in your state because I live on the other side of the country.

• Loraine Bovell Warner
      Loraine Bovell Warner June 24, 2016 at 9:45 am

Of course gun crimes are a concern anywhere …..the issue at hand was that they kept saying it was in Barbados and it is not

• Mark Fenty
      Mark Fenty June 24, 2016 at 10:20 am

But I am quite sure it has and does occur in Barbados, so whether it is or it isn’t Barbados, is of little or no importance in my judgment.

4. Sharon Taylor
    Sharon Taylor June 24, 2016 at 9:44 am

If it ain’t in bim, it ain’t in Bim…. Now carry on smartly…. I hope d RBPF back to finding out how so many guns getting into this island!

5. Penny-Ann Waithe
    Penny-Ann Waithe June 24, 2016 at 10:00 am

Are some bajans just stupid????? That’s not even in Barbados if yuh all would listen you would hear that the dj has an accent

6. Joel C. Payne
    Joel C. Payne June 24, 2016 at 10:49 am

Them drugs got wunna.

7. jrsmith June 24, 2016 at 2:11 pm

All you are hearing its this place that place , don’t really matter where it is its a matter to be taken very, very seriously people all..
    what should happen everyone should see if they can identify the low life’s and pass that information onto the police ,where ever…

8. dave June 24, 2016 at 3:10 pm

There is an Abundance of GUNS in Barbados and that is fact confirmed by the Police. Need I say more ? The Government of the Day must take the Blame. The Government of the Day is clueless –clueless. They have not achieved one significant thing in the two terms in Office. No mealy mouthed supporter can deny the facts .

9. dave June 24, 2016 at 3:17 pm

FACT SHEET:Whenever the DLP forms the Government things go very crazy . The BLP when in power allows some trickledown and put money in people’s pocket but when the DEMS in ,everything gets hard hard hard. The people say so not me and I cannot see how any DLP yardfowl can dispute these facts

10. Yogi Ni June 24, 2016 at 5:43 pm

I’m not very smart . Can anyone tell me from the pic I’m seeing , how anyone know it’s not in Barbados? I’m not saying it’s in Barbados or not because I don’t know. But some people commenting here are saying it’s not in Barbados as though there are 100% sure they know where it is.

11. Yogi Ni June 24, 2016 at 5:46 pm

Why the hell BAJANS have to make the crime situation political. All our asses is on fire. Anyone of us can be shot anytime any place. You all ass better get up and see what time it’s .

12. dave June 24, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Yogi Ni

The Government has been elected to do what ? Draw Salaries and Pension ? Why do you have a Minister of Education. an Attorney General; A Prime Minister? What are they supposed to do ?
    The Government of the day must take the blame . A society does not break down on its own. Study it my friend. Do not make any apologies for those who form the Government whether DLP , BLP , PEP, PDP , Solutions Barbados . BWP (Barbados Womens Party ) -led by Maria Agard or whatever consortium of Independents that emerge after the next elections.

Running a country involves the responsibility of making that country safe for its citizen. The Government must come with programmes and policies to ensure that this happens. This Government promised Integrity Legislation and Freedom of Information legislation . Where is it ? They have been in power for two terms and begging for a third term but have achieved nothing but the art of cussing everybody who disagrees with them and blaming others for their ineptitudes and setting bad examples. Do you not know that the boys on the block know that a man -a member of the House of Assembly pulled a GUN on another member of Parliament . Do you know that when these fellas hear this that they are going to feel emboldened and say that if HE could do it . I could do it too. I have been there -I know what I am saying in this regard. So YES -EVERYTHING IS POLITICS BRO What is not ?