October 26, 2016 - Wanted man bulletin Police are seeking the assistance o ... +++ October 26, 2016 - School feeding programmes could help fight NCDs A food and nutrition official has i ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Government has run out of options – Arthur Government’s fiscal policy is inf ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Sick airline A top official of regional airline ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Teachers back away from court threat The Barbados Union of Teachers (BUT ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Beacon supports regulatory move Beacon Insurance Company is giving ... +++

Corn beef thief deported to Guyana

courtA 51-year-old Guyanese man was today ordered to leave the country after pleading guilty to theft in the District “A” Magistrates’ Court.

Magistrate Kristie Cuffy-Sergeant issued the deportation order to Johnny Harington Worrell, who has been living in Barbados illegally for the past 11 years.

Worrell, who resided in Deacons Road, St Michael, was charged with stealing one can of corn beef valued at $5, two cans of tuna worth $6.20 and three cans of condensed milk valued $11.55 from A1 Supermarket Limited.

He was arrested yesterday after security personnel responded to a report that a man was seen concealing items “on his person”.

The tuna was found in spandex-like underpants while the other items were found in the small of his back under a vest.

According to a report the accused arrived in Barbados in December 2004 and applied for an extension to stay in the country until June the following year.

However, he failed to regularize his status when it expired on August 31, 2005.

21 Responses to Corn beef thief deported to Guyana

1. Kearn Williams
    Kearn Williams June 14, 2016 at 7:33 am

Not funny

2. Margaret Lorde
    Margaret Lorde June 14, 2016 at 7:53 am

Now he tail want a hot lash in it, here illegally for eleven years, going about unnoticed without any problems and that’s not enough. The people of Barbados now have to pay for a flight and send officials with him back to Guyana stupse…he should be made to pay back for his flight etc.

3. Veronica Williams
    Veronica Williams June 14, 2016 at 8:37 am

Could dear, the man must have been hungry and you must have compassion on others. Some people always play pompous and quick to point their fingers. Things are even hard here with us that are legal. I’m not condoning what he did nor neither I’m I encouraging him but a woman would get something to eat faster than a man. If I had known him and he was in my neighborhood I would’ve given him something to eat. This is not time to make laughing sport at each other. In a twinkle of a eye any situation can change. I know women are going to hate me now for this. Men leave out their-selves and give to women and leave their-selves undone. I hope men learn their lesson. Check their-selves first. A man will give a woman a table and a chair, go long and leave her. Another one will give her a stove and a fridge, go long and leave her. Give them big cars and houses and leaving their-selves undone. All the time the women are gathering and the men gathering nothing. Men look at women with big behind and beautiful faces and not their mind or their heart that they are only grabbing.I have brothers, uncles and nephews. These are some of the things that women have done to them. Real talk! Have a productive day.

• Toni Layne
      Toni Layne June 14, 2016 at 12:13 pm

I agree 110%with everything you’ve said … And I’m a woman

4. recoanthony June 14, 2016 at 8:53 am

5. jrsmith June 14, 2016 at 8:54 am

What about the others who are here illegally as well especially women.. who are being look after..

6. Elke Hassell
    Elke Hassell June 14, 2016 at 9:36 am

In the meantime Leroy Paris is sitting pretty on his veranda sipping gin and tonic, embezzling thousands of people out of their savings, another one that embezzled millions of “Bank Loans” for cars that didn’t exist walking around free. OK I think I covered that $4.99 Corned Beef story.

7. Elliott June 14, 2016 at 10:35 am

This should be a lesson to all those who are here illegally, don’t break the law and get caught; when I was a young lad growing up there was an old fisherman in my area of the Crane ,St Philip who alway used to say that no one is punished for breaking the law, what they are punished for is breaking the law and getting caught for so doing. So be warned.

8. Adrian Hinds June 14, 2016 at 12:27 pm

It’s a horrible thing to be poor and hungry. Nevertheless things are good in Guyana now so all is not lost for him. I wish him well.

9. Ossie Moore June 14, 2016 at 12:51 pm

Lord mek peace! He can now go to Courenteen or Ruparuni and raise him own cattle! and da’s a whole lota canned beef. Brand name GT- Senna Pole!

10. Jus me June 14, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Yes we all sympathise,except if it we is being robbed.
    Guyanese are a no good mob of uneducated ruffians,.
    Wait a minute isnt our DPP Leacock a Guyana man??
    Well there you go case proved.
    He he heh.
    Lack of Honesty knows no social boundaries.

11. Jus me June 14, 2016 at 1:00 pm

A friend a mine in Guyana en Stabrock market recent, and two girl come up on he en one say.
    Buy we two plate a food en you kin sex me.

This guy reply ,Listens Girls two a yuh and two foods I sex de two yuh .

12. Alfred Shepherd June 14, 2016 at 1:21 pm

I agree he was wrong, but you can’t blanket an entire group of people just because of a few bad apples. And he could have been hungry or had a family to feed. You don’t know, if a Barbadian had gone Guyana and got caught steeling, would you be happy if they said all barbarians are criminals. only God can judge this man. And he spent 11 years here, was he ever in any trouble like this before now. We have to consider all these things. And if not he should be given a chance to stay. As long as he stay out of trouble.

13. Jus me June 14, 2016 at 1:41 pm

ALFRED get real.
    Wha ya sayin is He ent get ketch.
    God ent look en yuh undies, de boy blue did.
    En him find nuff to skedaddle he outa heah.

14. Leroy Parris June 14, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Hey Elke Haswell, please please nothing to do with me dear. I am far away on London. My hands are up, am an innocent man. But the man was very hungry as his takings showed.

15. sunshinecanada June 14, 2016 at 4:47 pm

he should have gotten a chance, food is free, thats so sad

16. BoboTheClown June 14, 2016 at 8:49 pm

17. Menace II Babylon June 15, 2016 at 7:45 am

Such a display of ignorance, lack of empathy, CARICOM xenophobia, stupidity and verbal diarrhoea is extracted from every key stroke of Bobo The Clown’s clownish antics on a grown folk newspaper blog. It is of no surprise of your online pseudonym as the character reflects such. From a short 5-6 paragraphed article and a court article picture you are able to ascertain he is a Rastafarian and to include their faith system in your derogatory comments about the offence and consequence. Sometimes its best not to engage but better yet to smile in wonder or SMH.

18. Jus me June 15, 2016 at 9:17 am

Menace Bobo mekkin sport.
    Yuh back broader den dat.

19. Menace II Babylon June 15, 2016 at 5:50 pm

To my sistren/Idren Jus me all is well….. Blessings, love, manners and respect. Have no energy for clowns.

@jus me….not all Guyanese are deviants, not all Jamaicans are killers, not all Trinis are heartless killers and kidnappers, not all vinci is drug dealers etc Have you travelled to any of these countries? Do you have first hand knowledge of these people and their cultures…. do you have friends in Caricom or all from big continents. Do you know any Guyanese personally or you just follow pattern like a suicidal sheep that plays follow the leader. I have not been Guyana but I have been TNT, vinci, Jamtown plenty of times. I have travelled Caricom Lucia, Dominican Republic, Grenada etc and make it a must as well as the motherland. I met hard working people, squaddies, farmers, soildiers, nurses, lecturers and some of the criminal element. We have this vision with our cosmopolitan eyes these places are filled with squalor and crime. I can assure you just like Bim, you stay on tourist path you are fine, if your with a local sure, stray you will get robbed. I have been the victim of a very violent crime in a bungled robbery, where I got stung by quite a few angry bees, extremely painful and lots of healing and physical therapy. This was committed by Bajans with no mercy for vanity.

We have our own militant guerrilla criminals that you should be aware of not a man that committed this offence for obvious reasons.

We stay in our 166 and cast stones. I can assure you of places in Barbados and you know it ain’t safe that you ain’t gine down in there maybe you are universal can trod any place without the element of fear? It is quite common with our crab in a bucket mentality to stigmatise, criticise and belittle our Caricom neighbours and the recent Nigerian fiasco with those horrible comments proves to shows that their plan to divide and rule is effective and reaps rewards. I don’t condone criminal acts but to offend and defend two different things. Stop worrying about their women, you are queens and it is only a weak heart that falls for those virtues Veronica described. We love black women, Bajan women and we are not all gullible by big asses, curly hair etc….we have that home grown Veronica…. 🙂