Top girl expresses delight

Simply delighted!

That phrase best sums up the emotion of Adia Jovanna Deane, the top girl in this year’s Common Entrance Exam.

IMG-20160607-WA0020
St Angela’s Principal Kim Somerville delivering the news to the top student.

Adia, who attends St Angela’s, received the good news a short while ago from her Principal Kim Somerville, who was equally elated.

She pointed out that the top student, who is a national swimmer, was able to strike the right balance between her academic studies and extra-curricular activities to come out on top.

The news took the top student by surprise.
The news took the top student Adia Deane  by surprise.

Adia, who is headed to Harrison College with a score of 249.24, and an A in Composition, admitted that the Mathematics paper was challenging, but said she gave it her best shot and she is pleased with her final results.

Top student Adia with Class Teacher, Mrs Naomi Weekes.
Top student Adia with Class Teacher, Mrs Naomi Weekes.
Top Girl Adia Jovanna Deane with class teacher Susan Mohammed.
Top Girl Adia Jovanna Deane with teacher Susan Mohammed.

The top student overall this year is Zachary Andrew Gill of St Gabriel’s.

48 Responses to Top girl expresses delight

1. Celia Black
    Celia Black June 7, 2016 at 1:35 pm

well done, congrats <3

2. Lydia S StClair
    Lydia S StClair June 7, 2016 at 1:54 pm

congratulations….well done….love it

3. Divine Duchess
    Divine Duchess June 7, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Y do i feel like crying smh…im a lunatic!!! Well done babygirl, i love to see kids happy and excelling!

• Ann Annie Bowen
      Ann Annie Bowen June 7, 2016 at 2:21 pm

i bout hey bawling like she is mine! lol

• Divine Duchess
      Divine Duchess June 7, 2016 at 2:22 pm

At least im not alone lol

Mark Fenty June 7, 2016 at 2:40 pm

We can’t help but to feel a sense of collective joy, when any child from the lower echelon of society achieves academic excellence.

• Ryan Williams
      Ryan Williams June 7, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Mark Fenty, did the report say she was from the lower echelons of society? You didn’t have a better comment to make?

Is St angelas a public or private school?

I don’t get your comment at all.

Mark Fenty June 7, 2016 at 2:50 pm

So why are you blaming me for your want of comprehension sir? The comment wasn’t directed at the young lady perse, but at the idea of the joy expressed when a child from lower society achieve academic excellence. Listen! in a society such as Barbados, education is the main vehicle which pulls one up from the lower levels of society and propels one to a higher standard of living. You don’t have have a good education in America, to live a relatively decent life as one does in Barbados because of the standard of live here. And finally, I know of individuals who make $250,000 annually, with a mere high school diploma, but of course a lot of this income is made by way of overtime.

• Ryan Williams
      Ryan Williams June 7, 2016 at 2:51 pm

You just casted an aspersion on a child on a report that made no mention of which strata of society she subscribes to.

You are myopic.

Mark Fenty June 7, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Ryan Williams, did you read my comment sir? I said we can’t help but to feel a sense of collective-joy, when “any child” and not this particular child Sir. My comment above has little to do with the kid in the above article sir, so don’t attribute your lack of comprehension as a misrepresentation on my part.

• Ryan Williams
      Ryan Williams June 7, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Your comment is still silly……..The article is about the top student. You are making a specific judgement on one’s status…..why make reference to where they are on the echelon pyramid. That was irrelevant.

• Ryan Williams
      Ryan Williams June 7, 2016 at 3:21 pm

Still waiting for your answer to my question about the 23,000 dollar tractor rental. You ignored that and answered this one.

Still waiting.

Mark Fenty June 7, 2016 at 3:31 pm

Listen! Believe what you wish Sir, but my comment was really directed at Ann Annie Bowen comment, with little or no reference to the student in the article above Sir. And where did I specifically state that this student was from the lower echelon of society Sir? Had I said that then perhaps, you would have been correct in labeling me myopic in my outlook Sir.

Mark Fenty June 7, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Ryan Williams, let me make it simpler for you because I see that you have a little trouble with comprehension and interpretation I gathered. The comment I made regarding the hierarchy of society, was a side comment, not connected to the student in the above article in no way, shape or form boss.

• Ryan Williams
      Ryan Williams June 7, 2016 at 3:55 pm

My comprehension is intact. You just lack a sense of propriety.

Mark Fenty June 7, 2016 at 4:13 pm

Ryan Williams, and you’re also ignorant to assume that just because a child attends a school with a national reputation, that he or she is from the higher echelon of society. Listen! It is best that I inform your thinking regarding the fact that a lot of family members abroad are paying the tuituon of children at various levels of their education, and they’re doing this in Barbados and elsewhere in the Caribbean Sir.

• Ryan Williams
      Ryan Williams June 7, 2016 at 4:35 pm

Not like you would ever admit to your impropriety but at least you know that someone called you out.

Mark Fenty June 7, 2016 at 4:42 pm

I am man enough to man up to my irregularities, but where have I been guilty of commiting any here Sir?

Mark Fenty June 7, 2016 at 5:03 pm

Ryan Williams, Listen! With our kind of ego, I don’t think we are going to get much accomplish here, so let us agree, to disagree, agreebly Sir? In any event, let me end by saying this to you though : it is not my design to convince you our anyone here for that matter, to see things as I do, you’re free to see things way you choose to, but your inability to recognize, accept and celebrate a difference of opinion, shall continue to be your undoing, if your fail to acknowledge this fact.

• Nicholas Brathwaite
      Nicholas Brathwaite June 7, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Wait so the man ignorant to assume that she’s from the upper echelon of society but you right to assume she’s from the lower echelon? Look how ignorance destroy a whole positive post.

Mark Fenty June 7, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Sir, let us not go there because I’ve never assumed that she was from the lower echelon of society. I made a general statement unconnected to the student above, but regarding the fact that it conveys to many of us a collective-joy, when any child from the lower echelon of society achieves academic excellence. That statement does not mean that I meant the student above was from lower society, because in my mind the two weren’t connected. And I made that statement from the premise of being born and bred of lower class in Barbados, to indicate the importance of academic excellence for that element, and how it elevates one social standing in the Barbadian society.

• Nicholas Brathwaite
      Nicholas Brathwaite June 7, 2016 at 5:48 pm

The story is about this young lady. The comment is about this young lady. You really need to shut up sometimes.

Mark Fenty June 7, 2016 at 5:53 pm

Sir, let us not go there because I’ve never assumed that she was from the lower echelon of the Barbadian society. My exact words: ” We can’t help but to feel a sense of collective-joy when any child from the lower echelon of society achieves academic excellence.” That statement does not mean that I meant that the young lady above was from the lower echelon of the Barbadian society, because in my mind the two weren’t connected Sir. And here is my finally thought and this issue: many of us who were born and bred in the lower echelons of the Barbadian society understand the importance of academic excellence, and its transforming power.

Mark Fenty June 7, 2016 at 6:20 pm

Danielle Rm, I don’t know how to reiterate this but the statement above has little to do with the young lady above. I made that statement from the premise of someone who was born and bred in the lower echelon of the Barbadian society, and understand the importance of academic excellence. Question: what do you particularly mean by that this is Barbados and not America?

• Angela Maria
      Angela Maria June 7, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Mark admit that you were stereotyping and that your comment while made to include all “lower class” children who excel, was borne out of your assumption that she is one such child.

Mark Fenty June 7, 2016 at 6:38 pm

Angela Maria, the comment was in no way shape or form connected to this brilliant young lady. And Angela, I don’t know this young lady from Adam, so why would I assume anything about her? And to assume such a narrative, speaks to ignorance and belies the tools of common-sense and reason in my judgment!

• Nicholas Brathwaite
      Nicholas Brathwaite June 7, 2016 at 6:48 pm

Then why make the comment under this post??? You sir, have completely lost the plot.

4. Sharon Ward
    Sharon Ward June 7, 2016 at 2:30 pm

Congrats to her & her parents

5. Sonia Romain
    Sonia Romain June 7, 2016 at 2:35 pm
  6. Mark Fenty
    Mark Fenty June 7, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Kudos to you on your academic achievement, but always remember to remain humble, as you pursue your higher education.

7. Cordelia Prescott
    Cordelia Prescott June 7, 2016 at 2:37 pm

Congratulations

8. Sonia Romain
    Sonia Romain June 7, 2016 at 2:41 pm

To Adia and the other students who will be going to secondary school in september….continue you to excel and may God guide, protect and strengthen each and everyone of you in your next step to academic excellents…..#neverstoppraying

9. Yvette Reid
    Yvette Reid June 7, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Congrats!!!

10. Cindy Rickerby
    Cindy Rickerby June 7, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Well done. Your hard work has paid off. Keep on striving for excellence in all you do. I dont know you but proud of you and for you.

11. Tha Prototype
    Tha Prototype June 7, 2016 at 2:57 pm

Congratulations to this young lady. Aspire to do great things sweetie. All the best for your future.

12. Patricia V. Gaskin
    Patricia V. Gaskin June 7, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Congratulations young lady. Your hard work has paid dividends, now the journey continues. Keep reaching, for the sky’s the limit.

13. Sonia Debique-Millington
    Sonia Debique-Millington June 7, 2016 at 3:06 pm

Congratulations from St Vincent and the Grenadines…

14. Venice Daisley
    Venice Daisley June 7, 2016 at 3:21 pm

Congrats to all,hard work pays off.

15. Rosalind Eastmond
    Rosalind Eastmond June 7, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Congrats .

16. Yvette Carless
    Yvette Carless June 7, 2016 at 6:41 pm

Congratulations and best wishes

17. Elliott June 7, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Congratulations to the student, the teachers and to the school.Well done.
    Young lady your journey now begins at a higher level, press on with determination to reach the very top. Set your sight and goal high and go after it. Best wishes to you.

18. Marilyn Weekes
    Marilyn Weekes June 7, 2016 at 8:15 pm

Congrats. Well done

19. Sandra Browne Sampson
    Sandra Browne Sampson June 7, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Congrats!!!!!

20. Wendy Stewart
    Wendy Stewart June 7, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Congratulations for a job well done!

21. Maria June 7, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Best wishes to the top students and those who gave it their best.

22. Denise Armstrong
    Denise Armstrong June 7, 2016 at 10:36 pm

Congrats! Well done!

23. Ego June 9, 2016 at 12:06 am

Just be happy for the children who have made us proud. It is time to forget asll this nonsence and just pray for their continued success.

24. Ego June 9, 2016 at 12:07 am