October 23, 2016 - Griffith wins BLP nomination in St John   Charles Griffith will repres ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Hudson Griffith withdraws from BLP nomination for St John seat     As supporters of the ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Chelsea thrash Mourinho’s United 4-0 Source: AFP- LONDON, United Kingdom ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Relief on the way, says BWA The Barbados Water Authority (BWA) ... +++ October 23, 2016 - SSA board could face legal action, Comissiong warns Outspoken social activist and attor ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Remembering David Thompson Today marks the sixth anniversary o ... +++

Weir wins nomination

Travel agency operator and Barbados Labour Party Public Relations Officer, Indar Weir, tonight secured the nomination as his party’s candidate for St Philip South.

‎At a branch meeting at the Hilda Skeene Primary School, Weir earned 48 votes, to defeat challengers Mona Alleyne with 17 votes; Sylvan Greenidge, seven votes, and Ahmed Proverbs with eight votes.

In his acceptance speech Weir wasted no time in attacking government’s claims about increased tourist arrivals expected for Crop Over.

He declared that bookings have not gone passed the figures of last year.

Weir vowed to help a BLP government take Barbados’ tourist arrival figures to the one million mark.

Calling for change in the style of political leadership, Weir said, “Representation of a constituency can no longer be an ‘I’, it has to be a ‘We’.

“The solution must come from you,” he told party supporters.

12 Responses to Weir wins nomination

1. Charles Alleyne
    Charles Alleyne June 5, 2016 at 10:52 pm

Are these serious about consistency support or just getting into parliament.I have live in St.philip north for years and I find we do not get proper representation ..that is people who are genuinely interested in really helping the community rather than their own personal agenda.I think there has to come a time when persons who wants to run be vetted to see where they stand and not just put there by some political party to just occupy a seat and gets a salary and all the perks that goes with it.This is the time for such a process because our consistency deserved more because poor representation has been going on for too long.

• Coralita June 6, 2016 at 12:38 am

Mah bruddah, you mean constituency not consistency!!!!

• Tristan John
      Tristan John June 6, 2016 at 1:45 am

Constituency* .. but good points!

• Suzette Clarke
      Suzette Clarke June 6, 2016 at 6:45 am

Sadly modern day politics is not about representing any constituency; it is more about what is in it for “me”. Seems like a lot of people think that politics is now the easiest way to become rich. Maybe with some justification, I don’t know.

• Suzette Clarke
      Suzette Clarke June 6, 2016 at 9:03 am

You also have the option of not voting at all.

• Charles Alleyne
      Charles Alleyne June 6, 2016 at 9:46 am

Well yes I have not voted in 22years …my last vote was in 1994 and it was for this said government because at the time my uncle was running for the party.

• fiona June 6, 2016 at 5:32 pm

you are so right, i live in that parish too and can wholeheartedly agree with you,

2. Beverley Headley
    Beverley Headley June 6, 2016 at 7:18 am

If the Lord spares my life I will be voting, but I am warning you guys now, the votes from my household and within our entire neighborhood won’t be easy to come by, so be prepared to work for our votes as you have to effectively outline how you plan to give proper representation and please don’t come with no stupidness, as in my area we don’t want no handouts, so come prepared to answer strategic questions and it won’t be done in one session, so if you are not prepared to at least come prepared with proper answers at least five visits within your campaign, stop before you start. We demand proper representation now, no more easy votes, sorry!!

3. Sharon Taylor
    Sharon Taylor June 6, 2016 at 7:29 am

4. Gearbox June 6, 2016 at 10:01 am

@Suzette Clarke
    Yes, we have the option of not voting, but at the end of the day somebody is still going to be running the country and doing as they like. So the way I see it, I prefer to use my vote to voice my approval or disapproval with how the gov’t has performed. I am not a party person neither do I vote based on promises to do x, y, or z, I vote to either keep a gov’t or remove it based on its performance during the last 5 years.

5. Ryan Bayne
    Ryan Bayne June 6, 2016 at 10:24 am

Well, Mr. Indar, make sure you keep Dems under Weirs this coming election because they want going to the laundromat. Dems smelling too funky these days.

6. Anson Sobers
    Anson Sobers June 6, 2016 at 1:18 pm

In some constituencies there are about 8000 votes and some even more I don’t think it is possible for a candidate to visit every single one but they should at least have a point person in each area who knows what the area wants and who persons can report to….remember candidates/MPs also have family to look after and if I’m opposition also have to keep their jobs to make money to fund constituency activities.

That being said Blessings to you Indar…you are a great guy I’ve worked with you on many occasions and I know you would make a good representative for the area and be an asset to the People of Barbados.