News Feed

October 23, 2016 - Barbados welcomes MV Viking Star The MV Viking Star docked for the f ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Griffith wins BLP nomination in St John   Charles Griffith will repres ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Hudson Griffith withdraws from BLP nomination for St John seat     As supporters of the ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Chelsea thrash Mourinho’s United 4-0 Source: AFP- LONDON, United Kingdom ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Relief on the way, says BWA The Barbados Water Authority (BWA) ... +++ October 23, 2016 - SSA board could face legal action, Comissiong warns Outspoken social activist and attor ... +++

Maynard wants opportunity to speak to young people

COURT TODAY BLOCKDeon DaCosta Maynard, convicted earlier this year of unlawfully killing an elderly St George man and his son-in-law, yesterday appealed to Madam Justice Jaqueline Cornelius for him to be placed on a “programme to speak to young people”.

“I see so many young people coming in here [prison] . . . this is my first offence before this court and all I am asking for is a chance, Ma’am, that is all I am asking,” Maynard told Court No. 5 of the Supreme Court when his case came back up for hearing.

Arthur Chadderton and his son-in-law, Gerhard Stock, were shot dead on August 2, 2011 during a robbery attempt at Chadderton’s home in Salters, St George.

The court heard from a probation officer that the accused, a father of five and a barber, of Rendezvous, Christ Church, is known to Interpol in the United States. He has four previous convictions including, robbery and illegal entry and was deported to Barbados on March 11, 2009.

The officer also revealed that Maynard had shown no remorse for the offence before the court but sympathized with the family since lives were lost though he remained adamant that he was not on the scene.

“[He is rated] low risk for re offending” . . . but scored high for association with his companions, the probation officer explained.

However, Maynard who is representing himself said, “I do have remorse for the family, I do,” as he questioned how the probation officer had conducted the assessment to rate him.

The matter was adjourned until June 15.

3 Responses to Maynard wants opportunity to speak to young people

  1. jrsmith June 2, 2016 at 9:37 am

    What is wrong with our f…ing people he is a criminal he should have been hanged or be in solitary confinement.. If I had kids or gran kids in Barbados of schooling age and this government allowed this man anywhere near them I would move the earth and sky to sue who ever allow this happening…he is evil …

  2. Roslyn Clarke
    Roslyn Clarke June 2, 2016 at 2:37 pm

    Really- two men dead and he wants community service! No way, no way! Send him off to dodds and when he gets out then he can go speak at a forum for troubled young men!

  3. Rev. Winston Jones June 2, 2016 at 2:49 pm

    Now he realises he had the option of doing good? He just took a gun,, loaded it with live rounds and discharged those rounds into two people. That he is now concerned about the youth is admirable, but the courts should send him to prison for a lifetime. After twenty years at least, then he may be considered for the privilege of speaking to youngsters after he fully comprehends the full weight of his way of thinking.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *