Work ethic approaching ‘national crisis’

Barbados’ work ethic and etiquette have sunk to a new low, particularly among school-leavers, with officials yesterday raising concern that the situation was approaching a national crisis.

Human resource professionals have identified a lack of letter writing skills, poor deportment and speech, as well as a lack of teamwork, as some of the worrying trends that must be addressed if Barbados is to become more competitive.

The labour relations consultancy organization Regional Management Services Inc has partnered with the National Initiative for Service Excellence (NISE) and the Human Resource Management Association of Barbados (HRMAB) to organize the inaugural World of Work Showcase in an attempt to address the problem.

However, they know that they have their work cut out for them.

“You are looking at the letters of application and looking at the outline of the resume and you are wondering, ‘what happened here?’” Vice president of HRMAB Donna Hope said yesterday at the media launch of the showcase.

She said the problem was not limited to secondary school leavers but extended to university graduates as well.

Hope made reference to cases where employers had reported that some individuals were using text message language in their letter-writing and some applicants went to job interviews knowing nothing about the organization at which they intended to work.

And there were those, she said, who, having secured interviews, displayed shocking behaviour.

“Even when people come to an interview, in terms of business etiquette, your phone is on the table; and we have had some instances where it was reported . . . that persons go into an interview and they are asking the interviewing panel or human resources person if they could plug in their phone . . . . This is where we are lacking and it is very serious,” Hope complained.

NISE Chief Executive Officer Kim Tudor called for a national response to the issues, stating, “if it is almost like a national crisis then it needs a national solution.

“We in leadership positions need to ensure that we prepare our young people appropriately.”

Managing Director of Regional Management Services Inc Dennis DePeiza added that not only was the issue prevalent among young job seekers, but the more mature adults were also falling into the trap.

He said this was particularly pronounced in the way they dressed, such that “you don’t recognize if it is a party, work or some other activity”.

DePeiza said too many young people appeared to lack an understanding of teamwork at the corporate level, leading low productivity.

“You will have a problem with the moral in the workplace, you will have things like absenteeism arising because you will have a lot of internal conflict,” he said.

The World of Work Showcase is designed to introduce secondary and tertiary school-leavers who are 35 years old or younger to job opportunities and accepted standards to be followed by entrants into the world of work, among other critical areas.

The one-day event takes place at the Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre on June 20 and is expected to attract over 700 participants.

11 Responses to Work ethic approaching ‘national crisis’

1. Mark Fenty
    Mark Fenty May 25, 2016 at 6:33 am

I noticed a lot off old and middle people in Barbados are resistant to change, because whatvis wrong with asking to plug one phone in if he or she has young children at school and daycare?

• harry turnover May 25, 2016 at 7:17 am

Mark…..you is a idiot or wha ? what change you talking bout? it is called MANNERS !!. manners don’t change….you know wha you talking bout??…look.. in most establishments there are signs asking people to turn their cell phones off when conducting interviews or having discussions.
      You need to learn more about cell phones….they not only ring.

2. Shawn Walrond
    Shawn Walrond May 25, 2016 at 7:29 am

I just think yeay ago we had more England ways like good morning now we have lots off America yea dog I think this ghetto culture is the problem so we have to enforce better standards I have said manners always make us man it’s not to late we can make the nise program a subject in all schools teaching them how to live in society we still have a lot of positive young people I think we need to find someone even a new paper can go around schools and work places to interview the great things young and old are doing in positive ways and give a price each week in the papers the young person and natural person for the week we need to stop high lighting to much ghetto culture in our country they are getting to much attention and we need to stamp it out all is not loss

3. dave May 25, 2016 at 7:48 am

It means therefore that people are leaving learning institutions and not learning. Why are they not learning? They are not being properly taught. Why are they not properly taught ? Something is wrong with the Teachers. something is wrong with the system, the physical plant .

Whats wrong with the Teachers ?
    Whats wrong with the system ?
    Whats wrong with the physical plant ?
    Whats wrong with the Teaching methods ?

Do Teachers care or are they only looking to drawing a salary ?
    Are there too many female teachers in the system ?
    Have the whole situation been feminized and therefore showing the characteristics of a woman : propensity to gossip ; not solving problems only creating problems; give up easily; not inventive; unmannerly; discriminatory; selfish; cant raise boys; fat; lazy ;dissatisfied with job -only doing it for money ; opportunistic -whats in it for me ? -and on and on

Are male teachers marginalized and ganged -up upon therefore bowing to female pressure ?

To Be Continued …………………….

4. Mac10 May 25, 2016 at 1:48 pm

I am willing to draw the ire of the four commentators above but the grammatical errors in the comments you have all left prove precisely what Donna Hope was talking about. The language used is loose, slang and incorrect in many cases, including the language used by both sides of the political divide. With such poor role models from teachers to politicians, can we really wonder how the young people are such poor professional communicators, both in written & verbal formats?

5. harry turnover May 25, 2016 at 3:16 pm

This is an English Examination part 1,and marks will be deducted for grammatical errors,loose language and slang by one Mac10 and Donna Hope……who is wunna though ?…wunna need to get a life in the REAL WORLD and stop worrying wunna selves over foolishness.
    By the way I have a GCE O’level pass in ENGLISH LANGUAGE administered by the Oxford and Cambridge Board of England and I am qualified to write how I like and when I like….wha bout you ?

6. Tony Waterman May 25, 2016 at 5:25 pm

@Mark Fenty!!!! I know that it is bad English to answer a question by asking one, but i will anyway, what is wrong with the person arriving at the Interview with their Phone already Charged ???if he or she has young children at school and daycare, they SHOULD always be prepared.

@Shawn Walrond!!!!!Be careful, you might be called a Colonialist, or even something worse.

@Dave!!!! Please take that Chip off you Shoulder, the problem with the Bajan education has NOTHING to do with who is doing the Teaching, and all to do with WHAT is being Taught. and in that case the Teachers have to follow the cirriculum, and there is NO Etiquette 101 being taught.

@harry Turnover!!!!!! you seem to be part of the Problem. i have the same, and add Literature to that also.

this is so bad, does anyone remember the Cruise ship that came to Barbados last year and wanted to leave with 30 new employees ? they eventually left with ONE, Why??? Bad Language skills, Bad deportment, unkempt, Tatooed, you name it. On the Block is where it’s at Today in Barbados, and it will get WORSE.

7. dave May 25, 2016 at 8:42 pm

Mac 10 – I welcome any correction of my grammar. Go ahead if you are competent. I am willing to learn and I know that one can learn from anyone and from any situation.

Tony
    My shoulders are capable of holding heavy loads but A CHIP I do not carry so if you can see one, please let me know.

I hope that Mac 10 approves of my grammar in this particular post. I am trying hard to communicate as effectively as I CAN UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES. iI do not think that my spelling can be faulted though !~ I am happy that what I write is understood, however.

8. dave May 25, 2016 at 8:51 pm

Mac 10 –there is something call -typos. When I read back my post in the first line , I was aware that I made a typo when I wrote

“Do Teachers care or are they only looking to drawing a salary ?”

I had already press the Post Comment button -so I could not pull it back. This blog does not allow -editing- I know that I should have used the infinitive. Please do not get your knickers twisted

9. dave May 25, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Dear Professor Mac 10
    I have made some corrections
    I am tired and cannot do all at this time
    Please me grade my paper and let me know my grade by daylight tomorrow
    ————————————————————————-

It means therefore, that people are leaving learning institutions and not learning much. Why are they not learning much ? They are not being properly taught. Why are they not properly taught ? Something is wrong with the Teachers or something is wrong with the system or the physical plant .

Whats wrong with the teachers ?
    Whats wrong with the system ?
    Whats wrong with the physical plant ?
    Whats wrong with the teaching methods ?

Do teachers care or are they only looking to draw a salary ?
    Are there too many female teachers in the system ?
    Has the whole situation been feminized and therefore showing the characteristics of a woman ? Such charateristics include but are not limited to : propensity to gossip ; not solving problems only creating problems; giving up easily; not being inventive; unmannerly; discriminatory; selfish; cant raise boys; fat; lazy ;dissatisfied with job -only doing it for money ; opportunistic – materialistic ; whats in it for me ? -and on and on.

To Be Continued …………………….