October 21, 2016 - Teenager bamboozles England Teenage off-spinner Mehedi Hasan to ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Local weed cultivation on the rise Marijuana cultivation is on the ris ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Pollard vents on his failed UAE tour PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad – Kie ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Teen faces indecency charge A St George teen who was charged in ... +++ October 21, 2016 - GAIA wage dispute resolution in sight A prolonged and sometimes bitter wa ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Combermere thrash Graydon Sealy Former champions Graydon Sealy had ... +++

‘I feel bad’

Owner of home for elderly decries abusive nurse

A paid helper seen abusing an elderly woman in a disturbing video on social media, has been fired and the matter reported to police.

The owner of Roseville Home For The Elderly in Christ Church Pamela Hill told Barbados TODAY that she sacked Arielle King, as well as a cook who had witnessed the incident and had laughed while 84-year-old Jasmin Hall was being abused but had taken no action to protect the victim.

Pamela Hill  says she is upset over the abuse of an elderly resident at her Roseville Home For The Elderly, two weeks ago.

Pamela Hill says she is upset over the abuse of an elderly resident at her Roseville Home For The Elderly, two weeks ago.

The incident is believed to have taken place about two weeks ago but the video exploded on social media over the weekend.

The nearly two-minute-long video shows King, who had been employed at the home since December 15 last year, beating the elderly woman with a shoe, kicking her occasionally, while firing insults at her, as the octogenarian dragged herself on the floor.  King also hit the helpless Hall on her head with a book.

“Don’t hit me, don’t hit me, don’t hit me,” Hall can be heard saying as she pleaded for mercy.

“Oh my God; have mercy, Lord Jesus,” she prayed, as the woman in her 30’s continued her abuse.

Hill told Barbados TODAY that when she was shown the video about two weeks ago by the employee who recorded it, she immediately notified all relevant authorities, seeking advice on how the matter should be handled.

“That is total abuse. That is ridiculous. I could not believe what I was seeing. I do not condone any type of abuse in my home or anywhere else,” she insisted.

On the verge of tears, an emotional Hill said she was shattered by the incident, which has placed the home she has owned for 16 years under public scrutiny.

Speaking from her office, Hill said the nurse appeared to be diligent, caring and hardworking when she joined the team. A contrite Hill added that King had been held in such high regard that she had even begun to train the young woman to manage the facility.

Imagine her surprise, she said, when she saw the carer abusing the woman who suffers from Alzheimer’s disease.

“After it [the video] was sent to me I felt so bad and I sent the video to the nurse that did it. I said to her ‘very disturbing’. She sent me back a message saying ‘true’. I said to her, ‘I am very disappointed in all of you’.

“She said, ‘what have we done?’ I said, ‘this is not the way you do things, you do not know where this is going to end up’. I had made up in my mind then I was going to report her. She said, ‘sorry, well fire me’. I say this woman could only be a psycho,” Hill reported as she related her conversation with King.

Hill said the ordeal had taught her a valuable lesson that she must never hastily hire a helper, regardless of how desperately she needed one, without first carrying out a thorough background check.

An active member of the Barbados Elderly Care Association, Hill said the association would compile a list of abusive carers to help keep people like King away from the elderly.

“It is sad to see that people go and do the care of the elderly course, come into a setting, show you a good face and as you swing your back it is something else. I would never believe in all my life that particular nurse would have done that.

Even though I feel bad because it is my home, the footage tells me that we as home owners can’t trust nobody,” Hill added.

The woman spoke passionately about her love for the elderly, indicating that her father Selby Linton, 87, and her mother Vida, 84, were still alive. She said she hoped the incident would not force her facility, which is home to 14 patients, to shut down.

“To take up something and hit the person, telling them all the insults, is total abuse. I am not going to sit down and take that. I am not going to shove it under the carpet or I would have kept the video and not send it anyway. But I wasn’t looking for it to blow out of control like this,” Hill said, as she wiped tears from her eyes.

Meanwhile, Hall’s daughter Barbara Goddard told Barbados TODAY this afternoon that she felt shattered and numb as she watched her mother being abused, but was now simply angry.

“I will be seeing this through to the end, however long the end takes. The police [officer] asked me what I would like to do and I said to him, ‘legally or illegally?’ But I have filed charges for prosecution and the police [are] going through the process. I do hope that the court does not say it as a case of just fining her for a few dollars.

She said her mum had been at the home for just over three years and she had never seen any signs of abuse, noting that Hill had shown the elderly woman immense care and kindness.

She said she was also aware that the owner of the home was quick to fire any employee who was not performing up to standard.

On that note, Goddard, a businesswoman and a volunteer counsellor to domestic violence victims, gave a vote of confidence to the nursing home.

“I am not pulling her out because of what one nurse has done. If the home was in a bad state, my mom would not have been there at that length of time. It took me a while to find a home for my mom because I went around looking,” Goddard said.

Pamela Hill (right) in conversation with Chairman of the National Assistance Board Senator David Durant (centre) and Deputy Director Andrew Browne when they visited the home this afternoon.

154 Responses to ‘I feel bad’

1. Janette Reifer
    Janette Reifer May 17, 2016 at 11:18 pm

Where these demons that walking around in Barbados come from ?

• Anfaani Henry
      Anfaani Henry May 18, 2016 at 12:22 am

The proprietor of the home seems to be a caring woman. she hired the wrong person, and summarily fired her and the one who sat by and watched.
      I hope that these two sick individual will serve their time in Dodds and meet some women who are more wicked than they.
      May the old woman have peace and receive lots of love and care that she deserves as a human being and an elder.
      And Barbados, please do not drag your feet and make a lot of long talk and philosophizing…just do the right thing and jail de woman!

• Miche May 23, 2016 at 6:20 am

Revelation 12:12
      . Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

• Miche May 23, 2016 at 6:22 am

2. Rickie Brown
    Rickie Brown May 17, 2016 at 11:23 pm

GOOD!!! She should NEVER get employment AGAIN!! NO TRUST!!!

3. Lillian Worrell
    Lillian Worrell May 17, 2016 at 11:24 pm

Bridgette Annette Knox, Wayne A Worrell so glad they found out who abused this lady.

4. Ryan Henry
    Ryan Henry May 17, 2016 at 11:27 pm

your employees will make you or break you. Sometimes all the qualifications in the world cant amount to an ounce of common sense and moral decency. what they did was criminal and morally reprehensible and in the process probably dragged the woman’s business to the ground with them

• Maria Leclair Dasilva
      Maria Leclair Dasilva May 18, 2016 at 1:30 am

It is her responsibility who she hires. She admitted to hiring her employee with out doing a background check therefore she has no one else to blame but herself.

• Iteebah Cadogan
      Iteebah Cadogan May 18, 2016 at 5:40 am

• Ryan Henry
      Ryan Henry May 18, 2016 at 6:46 am

It is her responsibility who she hires but after 16 years and a good record (plus the old lday’s daughter seems to have faith in the owner) would seem that she made a mistake and you cant fault her for that. Its what she did after that made me make my comments she sought to make sure that the lady wasnt in danger anymore and this was 2 weeks before it hit social media.

5. Sharmila Bacchus
    Sharmila Bacchus May 17, 2016 at 11:30 pm

Does anyone think this is an isolated incident?

• Malina Juvi
      Malina Juvi May 17, 2016 at 11:56 pm

They probably does this often. And the owners knew for two weeks and didnt report it.

• Sharmila Bacchus
      Sharmila Bacchus May 18, 2016 at 12:00 am

I didn’t mean with this place in particular. Abuse of the elderly is not a new problem. It’s a poorly regulated industry.

6. Carla Bellot
    Carla Bellot May 17, 2016 at 11:38 pm

Absolutely awful. My heart broke while watching the video. :'( However unfortunately it’s not an isolated case – elderly abuse is an absolutely real and serious problem. Hopefully these monsters get what they deserve.

7. Jamie Brown
    Jamie Brown May 17, 2016 at 11:40 pm

8. Marcia Clarke May 17, 2016 at 11:41 pm

Let all of the people with those comments try doing the same job….they will be silent.

• Heather Young May 18, 2016 at 1:44 am

Marcia Clarke if you cannot perform the job you should not be in that field. Try exploring a different career path.

• Sam Roach May 18, 2016 at 2:02 am

Try doing what same job? Caring for the elderly?

Are you suggesting that the stress of the job merits such appalling behaviour?

If you’re defending the accused nurse, I most certainly hope you are not involved in any kind of care, even of a plant.

If that’s not what you meant, apologies but I think you should clarify what you mean, for the sake of transparency.

• OntoPurpose May 18, 2016 at 7:19 am

U cyan be serious If you can’t handle the job, resign and find something else to do. So u’re saying you would do the same thing. Let me contact the relevant authorities and give them your name!!

• Noreen May 18, 2016 at 8:34 am

I know its hard work but that doesn’t give you the right to be abusive to your elders. she could have be your cannot do this job for the money you have to love it.

• Nella Cramer May 18, 2016 at 9:29 am

What does that mean? As a caregiver you are there to provide care period and abusing an elderly woman with Alzheimers is NOT CARE!

• marva May 18, 2016 at 9:47 am

I kinda understand you view… that people with age-related illness are trying but why choose a job if you don’t have the temperament for it? If you reach that same point of frustration would you beat your own mother? I was part of the caring for my grandmother and I can relate some stories about things she did that caused me to be angry, upset and frustrated. I had no training; I wasn’t nor isn’t a saint…. but I still love her, though she has passed, and I recognized that she was not operating from the place which we call normal.
      My whole family learn coping methods ‘on the job’. This is a trained person who CHOSE that profession and therefore elected of her free will to therefore become trained in that field.
      So why the hell you suggesting that people who making comments should try doing the job. Those people did not choose the job; are not trained for it but they recognize the standards to which a ‘trained’ professional in that field should rise.

What do they do at staff meetings… i=that is the time to talk about troublesome patients and to pool information about dealing with them. If you don’t have the moral, mental and emotional stamina for such a job stay home and pick whelks.

• islandgal May 18, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Marcia Clarke what kind of human being are you??? Are you saying that abusing elderly people is normal for you??? Are you mentally fit to work???

9. Johnathan May 17, 2016 at 11:41 pm

She immediately notified all relevant authorities her exact words and after two weeks nothing was done until it got into the public domain today. Now it becomes public knowledge we have some dumb politicians like the one in the picture wearing the blanket looking for hero status.

• Ras May 18, 2016 at 3:40 am

johnyathan only person here dumb I can see is you

• marva May 18, 2016 at 10:06 am

I agree with you. That pastor like he never read Matthew 6 cause starting from verse one it says: “Be careful not to perform your righteous acts before men to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven….” and it goes one.
      Every time sometime happen he in de papers remember when those three girls from st. philip died in de car accident… and if you check you will find many more incidents. He like publicity bad bad.
      Pastor read de Bible, it tells you “when you give to the needy, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be praised by men. and don’t stop reading matthew till you understand cause it say in chapter 23: Matthew 23:5
      All their deeds are done for men to see. They broaden their phylacteries and lengthen their tassels.

10. Tremella Gladstone
    Tremella Gladstone May 17, 2016 at 11:41 pm

What she did was unforgivable! I have no mercy for her! That poor soul did not deserve to be treated like that. Pamela you have to be more careful in selecting your staff! You had some excellent , industrious and caring employees back in the day! Guess you failed to recognize that then , anyhow! I wish you all the best moving forward! You will rise above this because the Fact is, as I remembered, you had “Zero tolerance” for abuse when it came to your ole ppl. Good luck !

11. Sagya Brandford
    Sagya Brandford May 17, 2016 at 11:42 pm

Sigh I I couldn’t even watch the video. Idk how she sleep at nights. It’s very sad. She really need some jail time to sit and think about what she has done.

12. Rico Minime Johnson
    Rico Minime Johnson May 17, 2016 at 11:46 pm

Video hand my hands shaking…if I had came in there and saw that unfolding I would have flogged everybody in dere till the police come. The blind leading the blind cus at the end of the day nobody in the video saw what she was doing as wrong and immoral on so many levels. Make a dog stomach sick man….

13. Julia R Crawford
    Julia R Crawford May 17, 2016 at 11:50 pm

reading this made me cry i hope her family kills her how could you do this to and old person or any person

14. Juju Reds
    Juju Reds May 17, 2016 at 11:50 pm

What about the lady who filmed it and laughed? Where in the video did the cook laugh? What was the cook to have done in that scenario? If you as the owner are there 24/7 (your words in the telephone interview) where were you when this incident occurred? What about other events that have occurred in there that have been swept under the carpet? It’s amazing what ppl say when the cameras were not rolling to capture other injustices and slackness.

• Shanella Carty
      Shanella Carty May 18, 2016 at 12:34 am

Can u be 2 places at once… She could have been dealing with other patients around the home not cause she said 24/7 she’s there

• Maria Leclair Dasilva
      Maria Leclair Dasilva May 18, 2016 at 1:38 am

The cook or anyone else for that matter, duty as a citizen is to step forward and stop the abuse or call the authorities. As citizens it is everyone’s responsibility to stop abuse and report it. In the eyes of the law if we don’t, we are just as guilty as the the abuser. This is a fact which Bajans do not, for some reason understand.

• Truth seeker May 18, 2016 at 5:39 am

Juju, I too was asking myself the same questions. Obviously, the person using the camera had witnessed such incidents before, kept quiet for whatever reason(s), and decided to film. What about the person sitting with her feet up? Looks to me to be a culture of abuse and callous and ignorant disregard for basic human dignity. Why put the blame on one employee? they all seem to be guilty to me. I would NOT leave my mother there!! I read another comment (Marcia Clarke) where the person says that if ‘we’ had the job to do we would “be silent”! ???! WTF?? Boggles my mind!!

• Juju Reds
      Juju Reds May 18, 2016 at 5:51 am

Some things in this story do not add up and as always, there is information that the public would not be privy to. The relevant authorities will now do their part.

• OntoPurpose May 18, 2016 at 7:19 am

The lady who filmed it is the one who passed it onto the owner!

15. Veronica A. Piggott
    Veronica A. Piggott May 17, 2016 at 11:56 pm

Pam I know that it is not easy for you but time is a great healer, Just make sure that you always do checks on these people.

16. Sharon Stephens Jordan
    Sharon Stephens Jordan May 17, 2016 at 11:58 pm

All of them that was shown in the video. Should. Be dismissed and also charge cause there. Was verbal. And physical. Abuse. That took place

17. Rhea Nowell
    Rhea Nowell May 18, 2016 at 12:06 am

Such an illiterate ass! She did an action and feel bad? Seems like she has in goat!

18. Richard Innocent
    Richard Innocent May 18, 2016 at 12:07 am

they should close down that place from the video my concluion this behaviour is common place and the owner has been turning a blind eye and ears common ppl we west indians like a sweet gossip too much for the owner not to have already heard something this is not an isolated incident

• Maria Leclair Dasilva
      Maria Leclair Dasilva May 18, 2016 at 1:16 am

I wouldn’t doubt that for one minute. This was no isolated incident. The extent of abuse may have been even worse when it was a one on one (elderly lady and employee).

• Mary Amos
      Mary Amos May 18, 2016 at 9:04 am

I also spoke to persons who said that home is a very good home. It is so unfair to call for her head on a platter.

19. Dianne Griffith
    Dianne Griffith May 18, 2016 at 12:09 am

I am so sorry that you had to deal with this but I must say from working with the elderly it is a very rewarding experience and I have learned so much from caring for them I can’t see why she was treated like that and I am at a loss as to why the lady had to be on the ground dragging along where I’d the wheel chair you can’t be there 24/7 as you said well you need to screen your employees much better because so much of these jokers are putting on smocks and immediately they are care givers please let us not let this happen I understand from a higher source that she was arrested but why did it take so long why the media had to get involved you should have turned her over to the law two weeks ago just sad

• Shanella Carty
      Shanella Carty May 18, 2016 at 12:32 am

Sorry to say which one of them care givers?!!! U mean young dumb and CARELESS!

• Dianne Griffith
      Dianne Griffith May 18, 2016 at 6:31 am

Gm but I really don’t see nine of them as care givers and I think that the responsibility of the residents is on her the owner no video should not hit fb then for steps to be taken for justice I am wondering if this old lady did not stop it from happening to someone else in the home because I feel that these idiots will do that to any one of the patients

20. Cherry Matunda Heri
    Cherry Matunda Heri May 18, 2016 at 12:10 am

I am sure she abused more than this on lady.
    I hope the authorities take steps as to how people are employed to work with the elderly disabled young and the venerable in the community as a whole.
    My entire body quiver as I watch that clip.
    I hope your conscious haunt you for the rest of your days.

21. Donna-Maria Da Silva
    Donna-Maria Da Silva May 18, 2016 at 12:10 am

Mrs Hill the three of them need to be fired, they are all guilty of abusing this elderly lady. Such a sad video to watch, no respect, love or care shown for her. It breaks my heart. Was there a qualified nurse on duty when this abuse took place???

22. Nia Sobers May 18, 2016 at 12:21 am

23. Jason Prescod
    Jason Prescod May 18, 2016 at 12:21 am

24. Sabrina V Wallace
    Sabrina V Wallace May 18, 2016 at 12:29 am

Very hurtful and sad to see

25. Daughter May 18, 2016 at 12:29 am

I looked after my mother Marcia so what are you saying, that I would have abused my own mum. It is challenging but does not require abuse. It requires love, patience and proper care, diet, activity and love. They all need to see the inside of a jail. Something about the story still seems odd. Apparently only when something goes public, people “feel bad”?

26. Dave Rowe
    Dave Rowe May 18, 2016 at 12:32 am

Jah nah sleep

27. Shanella Carty
    Shanella Carty May 18, 2016 at 12:37 am

Add up ALL the licks she received send them to jail for that length, camera one just as guilty too she should of stop them or call the owner the time she sat laughed and video tape

28. Wendy Wickham
    Wendy Wickham May 18, 2016 at 12:42 am

I am sorry for the old lady that hurts me to my heart but all of women’s faces should be put all through barbados on posters so that would be they last job

29. Joy Love
    Joy Love May 18, 2016 at 12:45 am

So she aint feels bad that she get fired should be shame

30. marva May 18, 2016 at 12:59 am

Thank you Jesus you are a right on time God!!! I said their day is coming

31. Roger Gibbons May 18, 2016 at 1:02 am

There are some in people in these jobs that do not have any patience or love. I hope that vagabond get some in jail.

32. Leona Braithwaite
    Leona Braithwaite May 18, 2016 at 1:03 am

She’s sorry that they were caught!

33. Maria Leclair Dasilva
    Maria Leclair Dasilva May 18, 2016 at 1:07 am

The owner indicated she immediately notified the authorities two weeks prior to this video becoming public. Does this mean for two weeks nothing was done about the abuse and the abuser (her employee) continued caring for the elderly lady? She did not take action in firing her employee until the video hit social media? If this is the case, is she remorseful or is she sorry the incident has become public knowledge? The owners response to this incident is questionable, in my opinion.

34. Maria Leclair Dasilva
    Maria Leclair Dasilva May 18, 2016 at 1:13 am

She did say she saw the video 2 weeks prior to it being public on social media, Robert Holloway.

35. Vonetta Biscette
    Vonetta Biscette May 18, 2016 at 1:20 am

When i saw tht i cry this hurt my heart to see a woman treat a other woman tht way tht old lady is a mother a sister a aunty a granmother

• Goody Smarts
      Goody Smarts May 18, 2016 at 6:38 am

Vonetta Biscette women are just as wicked and evil as us men. No need to cry, many pretend to be good.

36. lennox hewitt May 18, 2016 at 1:22 am

I agree with johnathan 2 weeks nothing has done only cause it gone viral she play she talking now jyst clearing she self from t shutting dwn anymore abuse that u not telling we ?

37. Hightower Bajedude
    Hightower Bajedude May 18, 2016 at 1:23 am

This lady is just sorry it became public knowledge the video went viral and her only concern now is being shut down by the relevant authority.

• Maria Leclair Dasilva
      Maria Leclair Dasilva May 18, 2016 at 1:41 am

She’s seeing dollar signs disappearing..:-)

• Mhizz Thicky Sweets
      Mhizz Thicky Sweets May 18, 2016 at 6:14 am

Please take note d woman can’t watch every single worker r patient in the facility. The person who recorded it sent it to her so that she know what is going on. She did what was right after she found it out which is report it to the authorities and dismissed her. She didn’t hide it r cover it like some people would to save face

• Nikki Vs Nicksie
      Nikki Vs Nicksie May 18, 2016 at 7:00 am

How was it covered up if she went to the police and reported it? I suppose you would have liked her to give the video to the nation and put it on Facebook and YouTube herself???

38. Sandra Madea
    Sandra Madea May 18, 2016 at 1:26 am

Don’t play u crying u knew two weeks ago and aint do anything u want locking up too.

39. lennox hewitt May 18, 2016 at 1:29 am

Now if the lady reported d matter urgently why it take 2 weeks Durant Blackett and Boyce wunna only now from yesterday plsy wunna on radio we should dun no bout it but social media does put pressure on wunna if it dint go virl it would dun there no one would ever

• Concern May 18, 2016 at 6:49 am

The public hospitals should be investigated also.

• OntoPurpose May 18, 2016 at 7:22 am

it took 10 months for someone to be charged in the case of Jahan – the boy who was dropped off at the QEH and later died!!!
      Thorough investigations have to be done so charges will stick!!

40. Lennox Hewitt
    Lennox Hewitt May 18, 2016 at 1:36 am

Yes i said so she liable 2 and should be charge don’t mind she were not there its her place she don’t have to take part if there find weed on my property although i did not plant it dodds for me

41. Asberth Williams May 18, 2016 at 1:44 am

Marcia Clarke explain further please

42. Heather Young May 18, 2016 at 1:46 am

All persons involved including the ones laughing in the background should be fired not just that one

43. Cat Rock
    Cat Rock May 18, 2016 at 2:19 am

The police ask what the owner wanted to do? Is this a joke? What do policemen do when someone is assaulted?

• Cat Rock
      Cat Rock May 18, 2016 at 4:12 am

But if an assault has taken place they should press charges. This is nonsense. They have video evidence

44. Sherlock Holmes. May 18, 2016 at 2:51 am

Johnathan,where in this excerpt did the lady say that nothing was done?She spoke of seeking advice on how the matter should be dealt with,which is understandable,as the owner of the home her first line of action would be to dismiss the culpable employee,as far as prosecution the victim’s daughter would have to give the police the okay to do so. Obviously even though she the owner would have reported it to the relevant authorities it would be a process where investigations would have to be carried out,the video made rounds on social media and was very disturbing it touched the hearts of those who viewed it and caused public outcry,the persons whom you accuse of seeking hero status are charged with dealing with such matters and would be compelled to intervene and they have done so,so why disrespect the senator as it relates to your comments about wearing a blanket?What would you expect him and those charged with such responsibilities to do,just ignore it?I can tell when certain statements have their moorings in political bias and rather than you being objective you have allowed your personal leanings to cloud your judgement.What occurred has angered almost everyone with even the slightest measure of care, as we all have parents who if they are still alive could be in the same situation because of circumstances and we shudder to think that it could happen to them,it is an unfortunate occurrence and we all must appreciate that the matter is being dealt with accordingly,Marcia Clarke i sincerely hope that you are not a nurse or care taker in our system,your comment cannot be appreciated or justified.

• Glendean Rochester May 18, 2016 at 1:04 pm

I agree with you Sherlock Holmes to some extent – there were three employees present( Ms King, the cook and the producer of the picture. they were laughing and talking etc but maybe this was a regular occurrence and the producer had mentioned it to the owner and nothing was done. Without evidence nothing can be done and if you remember that the owner was training Ms King to manage the home. The producer had to present the evidence for concrete measures to be taken against the perpetrator. They were laughing but if you are secretly filming something you cannot give away the secret you have to pretend.

45. Annetta Paul
    Annetta Paul May 18, 2016 at 3:40 am

It is a terrible thing when you hire and trust employees to do a job and they end up getting you the employer in big trouble. It seems only reasonable for the safety of these vulnerable people that the employer, if she wish to remain open, must have her facilities under constant video surveillance. She is not expected to be on the premises 24/7 but she should be able to come in and check the video to see what happened during her absence. Maybe if the employees knew they were being videotaped they would be more professional. With this amount of media coverage, this place is going to be one of the safest place because it’s going to be years before people will forget what happened here, if ever knowing Bajans. The employer will now spend her time having to prove to everyone that she has learned her lesson and her place is a good place more so even now.

46. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce May 18, 2016 at 4:19 am

The abuse happened TWO weeks ago! Was the person in possession of the video waiting for the Morons to redeem themselves? The video was sent to the owner of the nursing home instead of contacting the Police direct she sent the video to the nurse that did it. What planet is this woman living on? She’s in a position of TRUST and then got the nerve to say ‘I feel so bad’ so she should. I hope the police have collected the mobile phones. The owner, abuser, standby and watch need to be held accountable for their actions.
    Enhanced checks should be done on all staff that work with children, senior citizens and the vulnerable. Also unannounced visits should be made by social workers. Wunna educated make use of the qualications gained. BIM is 166 without adequate funds but that does not mean all agencies cannot work together to protect and safeguard the vulnerable.

47. Trace Carter
    Trace Carter May 18, 2016 at 4:24 am

This happen two week ago what you should have done was to call the police at that time “why wait,” you a manager you should have done something, There are three lady’s there only one got fire….like this is nothing new to this home….

48. Maria May 18, 2016 at 5:01 am

I am appalled by the ignorant remarks of some of your comments. It does not matter who took the video, or who hired whom. If this person didn’t want the job of caring for the elderly she shouldn’t have taken it. She should get about 3 years in prison. Time enough for her to reflect on her horrible conduct.

49. Susan parris May 18, 2016 at 5:05 am

This kind if care needs qualified dedicated nurses even so there’s no way on this earth that these sort of sitings of bad abuse in this case should be going on its aPalling and so disturbing to watch .
    No 1 this lady is ill with altzimers so she hopefully won’t remember this incident .
    How ever makes me wonder how long this abuse has been going on . Is this the first time or as it happened many times before .
    These women should hang there heads in shame and be stripped of ever workinh for the elderly ever again .
    I hope the persson recording this videio was doing just that recording it to bring these cruel people to Justice. If NOT you are just as guilty but I hope it was to stop this abuse .
    I sincerely hope that this elderly loved mother is protected from all this and her daughter gets justice of this abusive behaviour .
    It’s also the owners responceability to make sure that all these requirements are met .
    Install CCTV cameras as a deterrent .
    Good luck in bringing these women to Justice let’s hope and pray that the judge is nit to soft .

50. Christina May 18, 2016 at 5:23 am

Everyone sitting there as the old lady was so badly mistreated should have been fired. Any one of them could have stood up and told the abuser to stop. They are all guilty.

51. Natalia Reid
    Natalia Reid May 18, 2016 at 5:27 am

How come only 2 people were fired when at least 3 people were in that video? Whoever was in that video shoulda been fired cuz no one did stop the abuse

• Natalia Reid
      Natalia Reid May 18, 2016 at 5:29 am

Wuh I lost with that one…how you only fire two when at least three were there?

• Angela Maria
      Angela Maria May 18, 2016 at 5:40 am

Same thing I was saying. I heard at least four. It’s like charging the robber who takes money from the till but not the one holding the gun or the one driving the get away car. Nuff sh*te. All want charging.

• Natalia Reid
      Natalia Reid May 18, 2016 at 5:41 am

• Mary Amos
      Mary Amos May 18, 2016 at 9:04 am

One was the whistle blower

52. golda May 18, 2016 at 5:44 am

i have been working as a,caretaker for a while and i have been hearing about this abuse for long time has been going on for years the owner is also to blame business owners don’t check back back there establishments some people want money they don’t care,about the elderly leave them in dirty pampers whole day don’t turn them , it happens in hospitals ,nursing homes,geriatric hospitals everywhere and the most qualified nurses in government does be like that those people are,bullies i worked with some when they are working some place long they do as they like leave people with dressing on whole week leave them in urine* and all and u tell the bosses sometimes they don’t believe and in some instances the elderly hit the caretakers and these caretakers take the lash and don’t say anything . i have herd a owner beats their residents with a ruler so its been going on a long time .

53. Sharon Woolley
    Sharon Woolley May 18, 2016 at 5:46 am

The home should be closed and she should never be allowed to open another one, it’s her fault entirely, no doubt her income is very high and probably like the UK carers get disgustingly low wages for what they have to do, but that’s no excuse for abuse. In the UK you have to be police checked to work in many places and that includes care homes.

• Conchita Moseley
      Conchita Moseley May 18, 2016 at 6:03 am

Caring for the elderly is not for those who forget the simple rule “ONCE A MAN TWICE A CHILD.’ the elderly are like children the majority of them are dependent, most are incontinent some need around the clock care. It is not a pleasant job and it is hard work. However care Homes should never be understaffed and two carers or nurses should be present at all times. If I should live to a ripe old age into my 90s I would not like to be put away in a care home…… I believe the owners are to blame Profit!!!! money…Many of these homes charge extremely high rates but are not sufficiently staffed.

• Conchita Moseley
      Conchita Moseley May 18, 2016 at 8:49 am

Tremella Gladstone I was 26 years old when I decided to return to Bim a few decade back to care for Grand dad he raised me, and it was tough going no showers but as unpleasant as it was I pulled on those rubber gloves and did what had to be done, God knows it was not easy because he was bed ridden but I had the experience.. We are supposed to care for our old people. I grew up in and extended family……. Bajans forget weh dem come from. It’s these young people who don’t want their parents, same way they can pay hundreds to a care home why not pay two loving and caring carers for home care where they can also keep an eye..and surely if parents have to be put in a care home visit daily make sure that parent is comfortably. Wana to proud….It all we can do for them. .

54. Bajan Delite May 18, 2016 at 5:48 am

Seriously, the elderly in this country worked in the fields and done various types of manual labour so we can have the jobs and “perks” we enjoy today. What was done to the old lady is wrong and inhumane. Viewing that video hurt and makes you wonder how many more of our elderly are suffering this kind of treatment at nursing and private homes…. Remember you don’t sow guinea and reap engine.

55. Francis McClean
    Francis McClean May 18, 2016 at 6:03 am

That being must never work in that capacity again. My grand mother is 93 and if anyone treated her like that, them tired suck oxygen.

56. Julia Robinson
    Julia Robinson May 18, 2016 at 6:13 am

Sorry my ass! This is not the first time and I am almost certain she is aware of it. Its possible she pays minimum wages so she covered it up. Bajans are some mean people.

57. Diana Cave
    Diana Cave May 18, 2016 at 6:14 am

I totally agree with you Wendy ..Put their faces on posters so as to let the whole of barbadians see who these secret crinmals are!!! Some people know them . Many thanks to the person that video it at least that person have a heart to see what was taking place with the lady . God bless her .. All of them will pay dearly … It seems as though you are getting a salary to treat your patients badly ..

• Angela Maria
      Angela Maria May 18, 2016 at 7:18 am

At any time did you hear the person recording the video tell the others to stop? Did the person recording the video put down the phone and pick the old woman off the floor? Did the person recording the video immediately go to the police with the evidence of abuse?
      No, none of the above. The person who recorded the video is a COWARD and is just as bad as the rest of them.
      What heart, what….struspe.
      That’s like me seeing three older boys raping a younger student and instead of going for help right away or finding some immediate way to stop them, I whip out my phone, record it, then show it to my Principal a couple days later….

• Diana Cave
      Diana Cave May 18, 2016 at 10:02 am

She didn’t tell them to stop , but out of evil cometh good.. Thanks to her for at least video tape it . it sure do a good.

58. dave May 18, 2016 at 6:20 am

Abuse of the Elderly , the young and not so young is endemic in Barbados. People just hate people for little things. Guns are used to gun down young men by young men –total abuse. Old people are abused by their relatives who steal their pensions, some who dump them at the QEH and some who abuse them verbally and psychologically.

A big-up in Barbados abused an elderly Gentleman by withholding over 200, 000 dollars for 14 years from the Elderly man. That is serious abuse. When high profile persons set these bad examples, it emboldens the other deviants in society to perpetrate evil. To whom much is given , much is expected.

59. Tanya Edwards May 18, 2016 at 6:20 am

With dat is said ask y’ll self dis now does these 2 or 3 young ppl have a mudda or gran mudda? Dem shud b locked up till whenever

60. Juanita andrea May 18, 2016 at 6:21 am

Only because of the video ,everything blow up. But these elderly homes want shaking up for real. They want regular visits from a stern organisation. The same thing goes for the workers.its not only blows these elderly people get .Most the time they not fed properly .care of there hair skin nails there dentures etc. Bc u have to soak overnight .and scrub to replace for full day use. All those things should be looked at .food stock .cleaning toiletries etc.every nitty gritty .because more is there in this situation that what meets the eye.but social media have the owner of the establishment would have been sweep under the carpet n business as usual. But remember old age comes as a blessing from God to those who should have it. One more thing every one in that room while this abuse was going on should b charged. Anyone of them could have stopped the abuse.poor lady dragging on the floor like that. And he daughter talking bout she in moving just in want the headache in doing it .smh

61. John Nicholls
    John Nicholls May 18, 2016 at 6:24 am

Your business, any business is only as good as the employees.

62. Rawle Spooner
    Rawle Spooner May 18, 2016 at 6:31 am

This nursing home is about 2 minutes walk from where I grewup and live when in Barbados, hope this woman get punish severly by the justice system.

63. Sherlock Holmes. May 18, 2016 at 6:36 am

Dave you are always in silly mode why?

64. Jema Goodluck
    Jema Goodluck May 18, 2016 at 6:45 am

They should lockup all of them and throw away the keys

65. Sharee May 18, 2016 at 6:52 am

It really hurts cause I am in that profession and even sometimes when my patients get to sick I cry so we are not all bad and I does make sport with mines and I am always bubbly this bought tears to my eyes that people could be paying so much money for there parents to be treated this way its unacceptable and to hear her mourns and cries is even worst Lord help us all.

66. Marie Clarke
    Marie Clarke May 18, 2016 at 7:02 am

Seeing that video made me sick to my stomach, where they are supposed to be human beings with common sense, feelings, empathy who the care of other human beings who have been placed in their care and that’s how you treat them. I would do just what they did to that elderly lady lock them up and throw away the key.

67. L.C May 18, 2016 at 7:03 am

Someone said try doing the same job and some of us that commented would be silent…..well,well,well… when yoi can’t handle a situation yoi jjst take out your frustration on the first person you encounter and it is all well and good?

68. Rose May 18, 2016 at 7:09 am

Marcia Clarke …if u don’t have love for people of age don’t look for work pertaining to taking care of them .what u don’t want somebody to do to your mom or dad when they are of age or even u when u are of age don’t do it to some else .today is hers tomorrow might be u .u don’t no what it’s like until it comes knocking @ your door ..treat everyone with love n respect regards of age .treat people the same way you want to be treated.

69. The Negrocrat May 18, 2016 at 7:22 am

Marcia Clarke, go get a job picking cotton. Even dogs deserve better care, so you certainly does not qualify to comment.

• OntoPurpose May 18, 2016 at 7:24 am

70. Phil May 18, 2016 at 7:25 am

Sadly and unfortunately, this incident has gone international. I received correspondence from a network of friends based in Stockholm, London, Toronto, New York, Philadelphia, Atlanta,Miami, Los Angeles and Ireland, who asked me if what they see on Facebook is true. It was carried on a few television newscasts. It reflected a low, uncaring and unprofessional level of service in Barbados. It caused some emotions to flare. One person even remarked that was that his mother, some Columbians, or Mexican friends would have been visiting Barbados on his behalf. Some asked what level f certification and psychological evaluation do these so called health care personnel undergo before they are appointed. And on top of it all some of your comments are turning it into a political football. I ask myself… What a 50th Independence anniversary gift for Barbados. We have no respect nor love for our elderly

71. Shondelle Greene
    Shondelle Greene May 18, 2016 at 7:33 am

I know God ain’t sleeping I am hurt about what has taken place it is repulsive but Ms Pamela Hill don’t act like u are a saint an play u pretending ur time has come u to wicked

72. Andrea BajanfromEaglehall Rock
    Andrea BajanfromEaglehall Rock May 18, 2016 at 7:44 am

73. juney leary May 18, 2016 at 7:47 am

This “crime” highlights the need for a major review by government at Ministerial level. Too many people think it is OK to treat their elderly and vulnerable relatives in ways that would not be tolerated in other societies and should not be tolerated in Barbadian society in today’s world. The NAB and the police should be congratulated on their action in this instance.
    However, I believe that there is mass abuse of the elderly in Barbados and that only action by senior politicians and officials can turn the tide and change the public attitude to one of reverence towards the elderly.
    Neglect is also abuse! How many of our old people live in isolation even by family who live close by? How many go hungry when the same family members eat well? And how many value their hygiene she elderly relatives live in squalor? And who controls their pensions? The NAB, NIS and others need to undertake major reviews to ensure our elderly are able to enjoy their Golden Years!

74. Ryan Williams
    Ryan Williams May 18, 2016 at 7:51 am

Why should the home be shut down? Dot commercial banks close when money is stolen or when they are robbed and people get injured? Do we close down businesses when employees steal etc? The actions of the nurse do not necessarily reflect the image of the home………so are we going to shut down every establishment when relieving the problem employee is a better option? Suppose the owner honesty did not know?

• Mary Amos
      Mary Amos May 18, 2016 at 9:01 am

Thank you Ryan. What I would like is that the media houses put a timeline on the events. Some people seems to believe the woman only took action after the video surfaced on social media.

75. @maria56 May 18, 2016 at 7:53 am

Two wks u knew n did nothing,only nw it get in the public domain u sorry she,the woman that sit n watch and the woman that recording n laughing should b fired n charge the.minute u found out Lord only knows hw long such nonsense has been go n on.You c hw comfortable them is do n it trust me its not the first time SHAME ON YOU

76. Geoffrey David Bynoe
    Geoffrey David Bynoe May 18, 2016 at 7:55 am

As usual all you going to hear is shock and awe AFTER the fact. Typical Bajan. All now there are people lining up to defend the perpetrators and the owner. Everybody in that video including the person laughing and filming should go to jail for an extended period of time and whether the old lady or her family need the money, they should be awarded a sizeable amount from the OWNER as compensation. Lessons need to be taught and learned from.

77. Joyce May 18, 2016 at 8:13 am

A lot of young people need to come to terms with the fact that “all the world is a stage” Longevity is a blessing!

78. Sheila May 18, 2016 at 8:19 am

Marcia Clarke, whichever profession U R in, please God don’t let it be Nursing. Your comments are innane & really, really STUPID. When anyone is EMPLOYED into a caring environment, one EXPECTS Care – yes, CARE to be given. As an ex-Nurse, I know what is expected. That ‘woman’ (sorry I can’t say Carer’ needs a job at BUSH HILL……….

79. Sheila May 18, 2016 at 8:21 am

Sad, Sad state of affairs. Stupsseeeee

80. Isolene Evans
    Isolene Evans May 18, 2016 at 8:21 am

As a geriatric nurse here in the

81. i May 18, 2016 at 8:22 am

y she cant keep her mum at home an pay a sitter the same way your mum did an put out her self for u as a child an al u could do is put her in a home smfh an if this happ over two weeks ago it now hit d system an d gitl now get fired did daughter now no her mum was been abuse so what d own was doing is she really sorry stupessssss

82. Lloyd Lewis
    Lloyd Lewis May 18, 2016 at 8:31 am

U know what made me felt worse when I heard only two got fired what about the one that took the video that part make me wonder what is going on in that place.

83. Isolene Evans
    Isolene Evans May 18, 2016 at 8:39 am

As a geriatric nurse here in the USA , watching this video was very disturbing and upsetting for me.
    Elderly abuse is a very serious problem throughout the world. These workers should all be prosecuted, fingerprinted and be delta with by the law.They should be held responsible for their actions. The one that did the hitting and kicking should get some jail time. The ones that watch and did nothing should be suspended with out pay and be place on probation for 1year.
    The government of the country have to set laws for these private nursing home to follow. All employees should be subject to a background check before being employed. There should be a site where employers can check on people who they will hired. Glad the video went virtual because now there will be changes
    Shame on all those that was invole, remember what goes around comes around and you all are getting older each day.

84. Alicia Sanderson
    Alicia Sanderson May 18, 2016 at 8:41 am

I would not judge the owner he could have the heart of gold the worker is bad but don’t put down the owner like that my heart is with you sister pray father will work it out

85. Jus dusturbed May 18, 2016 at 8:44 am

It happened two weeks but u dnt no wen it was sent to the owner

Maybe the person dat filmed the video was doin it unknown to dem n didn’t wnt dem to no wt wax bein dun

86. Maria Joseph
    Maria Joseph May 18, 2016 at 8:46 am

I am sure that abuse in some fashion is taking place at most of these nursing house. Family members have to be very careful in chosing a nursing home for love ones. So sad.

87. judith May 18, 2016 at 8:56 am

I am very angry about this video, all even the one who tape it should be fired. This behavior is not acceptable, poor taste, a poor old lady. All should go jail for 50 yrs.

88. Joel C. Payne
    Joel C. Payne May 18, 2016 at 9:28 am

Don’t be soo quick to put parents in them places. Build a little side piece on the house and let them live at you.

89. Patricia Bowen May 18, 2016 at 9:41 am

Sherlock Holmes, I certainly agree with what you’ve said, I am flabbergasted at the mouthing of some, and Marcia Clarke does takes the cake on them all. It’s really a sad time in our history when abuse to our elderly, children, spouses etc are now happening at such an alarming rate in so many different ways. Yes it happening all over the world, but to a small island like ours it’s really hurtful, because we are all an extended family. Everyone knows somebody related to somebody and the pain is greatly felt. How then is it any easier to cope when authorities at times fail to act, or when the products of our free and wonderful educational system releases manure from vessels filled with political garbage, and those that spews out wrong is right. It’s now so warped that there is no fear of criticizing the clothes or work of the shepherd, as he stands in the gap for God’s people. God is watching on. Yes he watches and will repay for as a man sow, that he will reap and as he judge so will he be judge. Each of us has the potential to make a good difference. Let’s start with ourselves from today, and that includes me.

90. Vernon Chandler May 18, 2016 at 9:44 am

This statement is what stood out for me”
    “I really do not need her money, my mother does not need her money; I would like that she spends some time sitting down in jail and then maybe she might have some time to reflect,” Goddard said.”

I do not need to say that is a statement that we will never ever ever hear an American make in a case like this. And this is powerful evidence on how different the people of the US are from the people of Barbados. I think that one of the biggest mistakes that some people make is that they take the American model (which is a failed model, by the way) & try to imposed it on the Barbadian people. We just are not the same. We do not even think alike.

91. Dennis Connell
    Dennis Connell May 18, 2016 at 9:58 am

Mrs. HILL did what she was suppose to do she reported it to the relevent departments. They should have dealt with it eversince not now it has gone viral. Mrs. Hill could have swept this under the carpet but she did not.

92. Matthew Greaves
    Matthew Greaves May 18, 2016 at 10:03 am

Watching that video made my blood boil they want the hands and feet cutting off jail too good for them

93. dave May 18, 2016 at 10:08 am

Lets stamp out all forms of Abuse
    Punish some people and send a strong message. The Law is for all

The following is abuse too

94. Brerlou King May 18, 2016 at 10:10 am

With respect to the comment by Marcia Clarke. They say give a man a hammer and he will see everything as a nail. I was trained in management, so maybe that is why it is clear to me that this is purely a management problem. Most of the respondents here see this as an intractable problem implicit in hiring. It is nothing of the kind.

This is actually a problem with training but, wait for it, I mean managerial training, not just training of staff. “The buck stops here,” on the manager’s desk. A good geriatric nurse is not necessarily automatically going to become a good nursing home manager. A manager has to be able to visualize and create a structure for the company or department he is supervising.

Actually she has to become a supervisor of her supervisors. She has to be able to make it crystal clear what “dos and don’ts” have to be strictly enforced, whose responsibility it is to see that they are carried out; and she must also have in place a system of recourses and rewards to deal with people and situations which do not fit the mould. Some of this can, or rather must be, in writing, but more importantly a good employee should be able to recite them after training. Then no one could ever be in a position to ask, “What it is that I do wrong?”

95. Nathaniel Samuels May 18, 2016 at 10:11 am

Seems to me that care homes now have to have security cameras to see what is going on. That would help not only the security aspect but show the way how carers treat their patients and this could then be used as training material. How to and how not to.

96. Mark jones May 18, 2016 at 10:16 am

They rush fa Lil weed while granny getting abuse who help get we hey she 80+ &Tek weeks fa someone azz to be fired now watch pretty talk on issues as such shame shame on all with power to do better never should be#careforelders#Marcia Clarke a dummy

97. Marcia Clarke May 18, 2016 at 10:18 am

I am neither a trained nurse nor caretaker ,but have a kind heart and have dedicated myself to helping others all of my life. I have seen first hand how difficult it is to care for the elderly who are very set in their ways……… just cannot tell them what to do. Caring for the elderly is a tough job and suits retired nurses who are more compassionate….these girls are young and do not have that kind of experience, knowledge nor empathy to care for the aged
    The nursing homes employ them and exploit them……….what does one expect from these girls who know very little.

To Negrocrat………if you want to write, learn grammar..You does???????

98. Karen Prisner May 18, 2016 at 10:26 am

There appears to be a need for video cameras in these nursing homes. Cameras which stream live footage to either the home or the work place of a relative. Perhaps too expensive but certainly helpful and necessary. Cameras can bring peace of mind. A fact I learned when I moved my soon to be five year old from a daycare with cameras to one without. HUGE mistake! Never again…..

I am concerned with Pamela Hill’s admission that Ms. King was hastilly hired and not properly screened. VERY disturbing! Caregivers of any kind need to be properly screened because these are tough jobs which require skill, patience and the right attitude. Regardless of what Pamela Hill does to rectify this situation, the reputation of her home is tarnished. I certainly wouldn’t send a relative of mine to her home. I hope this situation helps to spotlight all homes with negligent or abusive caregivers.

99. ch May 18, 2016 at 11:10 am

Madam, after you cry a river, you are still responsible for what happened in your home. It was your duty to set and maintain a high standard of professionalism and care which involves actual supervision of your staff and patients.
    That was clearly lacking since your staff felt free to openly abuse that lady and it could not have been the first time nor the only patient given the ease with which they did it.
    It is also visibly clear that Ms. Hall is malnourished so that also reflects lack of care from you and lack of interest from her family.
    Your home should be shut down and you should be charged for your negligence.
    There are too many bogus senior homes in Barbados with untrained staff and the supervisory ministries need to scrutinize them very seriously and do occasional spot checks.

100. Ejam May 18, 2016 at 7:15 pm

The tears are still in my eyes, and my heart is heavy. The Island of Barbados has been disgraced at this time, , six months before it’s 50TH anniversary of independence. Millions around the world will be sharing this for a long time. There is a saying: De young people in Barbados doan like old people . This proves it. I cannot see the high standards of education coming from care givers like these; and please do not call these evil women ‘nurses’ ! The way the abuser spoke makes me dislike my Barbadian dialect that I proudly spoke, to let my non Barbadian friends learn my culture. Not again! The abuser who was striking the elderly ,helpless lady on her head ,and kicking her while throwing abusive words at her needs at least 10 years in PRISON, and her observers, and enablers need at least one year in PRISON, or ten years probation. This will send a warning to all abusers in Barbados, wherever they are. ‘ PREVENTION OF ELDERLY ABUSE—Respect and Empathy for the Elderly’ must be a part of the curriculum in elementary schools. I suddenly have a fear of young Barbadians. May God bless the people Barbados for their compassionate words, and non tolerance of abuse of the elderly in our beautiful island. I hope the tourists keep coming.

101. Miche May 18, 2016 at 10:10 pm

The summer and autumn had been so wet,
    That in winter the corn was growing yet,
    ‘Twas a piteous sight to see all around
    The grain lie rotting on the ground.

Every day the starving poor
    Crowded around Bishop Hatto’s door,
    For he had a plentiful last-year’s store,
    And all the neighbourhood could tell
    His granaries were furnish’d well.

At last Bishop Hatto appointed a day
    To quiet the poor without delay;
    He bade them to his great Barn repair,
    And they should have food for the winter there.

Rejoiced such tidings good to hear,
    The poor folk flock’d from far and near;
    The great barn was full as it could hold
    Of women and children, and young and old.

Then when he saw it could hold no more,
    Bishop Hatto he made fast the door;
    And while for mercy on Christ they call,
    He set fire to the Barn and burnt them all.

“I’faith ’tis an excellent bonfire!” quoth he,
    “And the country is greatly obliged to me,
    For ridding it in these times forlorn
    Of Rats that only consume the corn.”

So then to his palace returned he,
    And he sat down to supper merrily,
    And he slept that night like an innocent man;
    But Bishop Hatto never slept again.

In the morning as he enter’d the hall
    Where his picture hung against the wall,
    A sweat like death all over him came,
    For the Rats had eaten it out of the frame.

As he look’d there came a man from his farm—
    He had a countenance white with alarm;
    “My Lord, I open’d your granaries this morn,
    And the Rats had eaten all your corn.”

Another came running presently,
    And he was pale as pale could be,
    “Fly! my Lord Bishop, fly,” quoth he,
    “Ten thousand Rats are coming this way,…
    The Lord forgive you for yesterday!”

“I’ll go to my tower on the Rhine,” replied he,
    “‘Tis the safest place in Germany;
    The walls are high and the shores are steep,
    And the stream is strong and the water deep.”

Bishop Hatto fearfully hasten’d away,
    And he crost the Rhine without delay,
    And reach’d his tower, and barr’d with care
    All the windows, doors, and loop-holes there.

He laid him down and closed his eyes;…
    But soon a scream made him arise,
    He started and saw two eyes of flame
    On his pillow from whence the screaming came.

He listen’d and look’d;… it was only the Cat;
    And the Bishop he grew more fearful for that,
    For she sat screaming, mad with fear
    At the Army of Rats that were drawing near.

For they have swum over the river so deep,
    And they have climb’d the shores so steep,
    And up the Tower their way is bent,
    To do the work for which they were sent.

They are not to be told by the dozen or score,
    By thousands they come, and by myriads and more,
    Such numbers had never been heard of before,
    Such a judgment had never been witness’d of yore.

Down on his knees the Bishop fell,
    And faster and faster his beads did he tell,
    As louder and louder drawing near
    The gnawing of their teeth he could hear.

And in at the windows and in at the door,
    And through the walls helter-skelter they pour,
    And down from the ceiling and up through the floor,
    From the right and the left, from behind and before,
    From within and without, from above and below,
    And all at once to the Bishop they go.

They have whetted their teeth against the stones,
    And now they pick the Bishop’s bones:
    They gnaw’d the flesh from every limb,
    For they were sent to do judgment on him!