October 26, 2016 - Wanted man bulletin Police are seeking the assistance o ... +++ October 26, 2016 - School feeding programmes could help fight NCDs A food and nutrition official has i ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Government has run out of options – Arthur Government’s fiscal policy is inf ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Sick airline A top official of regional airline ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Teachers back away from court threat The Barbados Union of Teachers (BUT ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Beacon supports regulatory move Beacon Insurance Company is giving ... +++

Ambrose’s ouster a ‘shock’

Curtly Ambrose, the former West Indies fast bowler, has said the decision to remove him as West Indies’ bowling consultant has come as “a bit of a shock”.

Ambrose was replaced by Roddy Estwick on the weekend. He said head coach Phil Simmons told him the decision was made because Simmons wanted someone who is “more technical” to coach the team’s fast bowlers.

“I only learnt about it from head coach Phil Simmons on Wednesday [last week], and when he told me I said to him that I am very disappointed, because I never expected it, and I never saw it coming because he never gave me any indication he was going to let me go,” Ambrose was quoted as saying in the Antigua Observer.

“So, it came as a bit of a shock basically, but I haven’t decided which direction I am going to take just yet. I’ll just pause and give it a little time to think about it and decide where I want to go after.”

Ambrose had served as West Indies’ consultant for the last three years, his most recent assignment being the World T20 triumph in India in April. The WICB press release did not state a reason for Ambrose’s exit.

“I spoke to head coach Phil Simmons, and he told me that he wanted someone who is more technical to work with the fast bowlers,” Ambrose said. “So, I said to him well, if you knew I was doing a poor job, then you should have told me. He said no, I did a fantastic job, because I brought a high level of discipline to the team, and I have motivated the guys quite a bit… but he wants somebody more technical, hence, he is going for Roderick Estwick.”

Estwick, who was given the designation of bowling coach, is due to join the West Indies pre-season preparatory camp on May 19, ahead of the home tri-series against Australia and South Africa that starts on June 3 in Guyana. Estwick had coached the Barbados domestic side as well as the West Indies Under-19 and Barbados Under-19 teams, apart from participating in the High Performance Centre programme.

7 Responses to Ambrose’s ouster a ‘shock’

1. Mark Eversley
    Mark Eversley May 17, 2016 at 9:57 pm

This is why west indies cricket would never get better

2. Mani Slater
    Mani Slater May 17, 2016 at 10:15 pm

What the hell I hearing.

3. miche May 18, 2016 at 5:10 am

No one is irreplaceable !However I must say that whenever someone builds a success story,every power seeking self serving individuals always think that “I can do a better job,,They never knew the hard work,dedication,or personal sacrifice ,it took ,in getting it not only to where it is, but to take it further; so when reality sinks in they never have the intestinal fortitude it takes, so they destroy years of hard work and run……people should leave well enough alone

4. Steve C. May 18, 2016 at 8:28 am

I wonder if Phil Simmons saw Ambrose as being a threat to him for post of head coach. It would seem from the outside as though Mr. Ambrose had done ,and was doing a commendable job in his role .
    Maybe Phil Simmons will, in time explain why he thought Ambrose was not technical enough.
    I can’t imagine any coach, anywhere,on any planet that can help make the current West Indies fast bowlers technical enough to bowl as though they put any thought into where to bowl consistently; They are not big,or fast enough to consistently bowl short balls that are dispatched with disdain .
    Please Mr. Simmons , give the West Indian cricket supporters your true reason for ousting Ambrose.(that is if you can be honest as to why)

• harry turnover May 20, 2016 at 6:42 am

Exactly Steve !! you have hit the nail on the head. Ambrose was seen to be more involved with the team than Simmons giving pep talks before the team goes on to the field and being the first to greet the bowlers and the team coming off the field.Even the TV cameras were focused on him more than on Simmons

5. Mack Clarke May 18, 2016 at 8:47 am

I just can’t believe that the WIBC is at once again and Simmons has agreed to this underhand decision, Ambrose has been an extremely good coach and has done a great job with the fast bowlers and to get rid of him in this way is downright disrespectful.
    They should all be ashamed of themselves and their decision.

6. Ric May 18, 2016 at 9:15 am