October 26, 2016 - Wanted man bulletin Police are seeking the assistance o ... +++ October 26, 2016 - School feeding programmes could help fight NCDs A food and nutrition official has i ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Government has run out of options – Arthur Government’s fiscal policy is inf ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Sick airline A top official of regional airline ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Teachers back away from court threat The Barbados Union of Teachers (BUT ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Beacon supports regulatory move Beacon Insurance Company is giving ... +++

Man charged with murder of B’dian nurse in UK

A man has been charged with the murder of a Barbadian nurse at a private hospital in south London.

Patrick “Pookie” Clarke, 68, formerly of St Patricks, Christ Church was stabbed several times at Southleigh Community Hospital in Brighton Road, South Croydon, last week.

Clarke was a prominent member of the Barbados Overseas Nurses Association in the United Kingdom.

Patrick Clarke died from a stab wound to the chest.

Jimmy Jedson, 40, of Brighton Road, Croydon, is in custody and due to appear before Bromley Magistrates’ Court on Monday.

Patrick Clarke was stabbed multiple times at Southleigh Community Independent Hospital.

A spokesman for the Southleigh Community Hospital, a private mental care facility, said: “We are greatly saddened to confirm that a member of staff lost his life following an incident in the hospital.

“Our deepest sympathies are with his family, friends and colleagues. He [Clarke] was a valued and respected member of staff who will be deeply missed.”

22 Responses to Man charged with murder of B’dian nurse in UK

1. Sharon Woolley
    Sharon Woolley May 15, 2016 at 1:55 pm

So sad, these nurses put their lives in danger day after day working with the mentally ill. May he Rest In Peace.

2. Marva Lashley-Todd
    Marva Lashley-Todd May 15, 2016 at 2:06 pm

3. Joceline Blackett
    Joceline Blackett May 15, 2016 at 2:10 pm

May his gentle soul rest in eternal peace. Condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.

4. Ivy Lewis
    Ivy Lewis May 15, 2016 at 2:17 pm

Condolences to Patrick’s family. RIP Patrick.

5. Christine Carol-ann Ceecee Waithe
    Christine Carol-ann Ceecee Waithe May 15, 2016 at 2:44 pm

???? I ask d same???

6. Inola Sam
    Inola Sam May 15, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Condolences to the families and friends may his soul rest in peace.

7. Mark Fenty
    Mark Fenty May 15, 2016 at 2:54 pm

This is a very unfortunate incident, but the risk of injury is a real possibility when one is gainfully employed in this area of psychiatric nursing. I myself was employed in a psychiatric unit for several years, and dealt firsthand with many of the dangers associated with the people who were patients in this unit. And if it is one thing I’ve learned from that unit is the fact that every time we dealt with a crisis, we did what was called an (AAR) After Action Review to learn from our mistakes. It was a very danger job and I came close to be injure many times, though I was quite fortunate to escape injury during my employment there.

8. Deborah Lashley
    Deborah Lashley May 15, 2016 at 2:57 pm

9. Rosalind Eastmond
    Rosalind Eastmond May 15, 2016 at 3:22 pm

So Sad .

10. Juan Squires
    Juan Squires May 15, 2016 at 4:54 pm
  11. Juan Squires
    Juan Squires May 15, 2016 at 4:56 pm

To both families my prayers are with you asking God to heal and bring calmness to the situation

12. Cheryl Alleyne-Brooks
    Cheryl Alleyne-Brooks May 15, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Condolences,that field is very very dangerous, very sorry to hear

13. Alison May 15, 2016 at 11:04 pm

This is so sad. Condolences to his family and friends may be RIP.

14. Esther Fields
    Esther Fields May 15, 2016 at 11:12 pm

It’s so sad to lose a relative this way. May God bless your soul.

15. Vasco Stevenson May 16, 2016 at 6:30 am

Patrick and I go back about 20 years. He was everyone’s friend, calm, reassuring, empathetic and a lot more. I got the news last Thursday night (12th May) and was totally shocked. The Barbados Overseas Nurses Association (BONA) had held their annual church service on the previous Sunday (8th May) and we were all socializing afterwards in the church hall. I remember speaking with Patrick and complementing him on his sterling work with the organization. Apparently he was meant to be off work on the day this very tragic event occurred. He was asked to go in because they were very short of staff and to help out decided to go on duty. We are going to miss him terribly.

16. Wendy Sthill
    Wendy Sthill May 16, 2016 at 8:01 am

Sad!!Condolences to his family

17. maxjustina May 16, 2016 at 8:19 am

Was off Duty; a Thursday; blood; asked to “go” in as opposed to “come” in. I smell a rat!

18. Angela Chesworth
    Angela Chesworth May 16, 2016 at 9:10 am

One of the purest souls I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing. The family are in total shock. Bad things shouldn’t happen to good people. Uncle Pat will be missed hugely

19. Norma Isenegger May 16, 2016 at 9:26 am

Mr P Clarke family –My warmest condolences — Patrick ”good will” is preserve.

20. Marceline May 16, 2016 at 11:44 am

I too worked with Patrick at This hospital and was held hostage. There is not much support from management. It is very sad that such a softly spoken and caring gentleman should die in such a way. I was always worried of this particular patient as he never smile and hardly talks. May justice be served

21. miche May 16, 2016 at 12:10 pm

Is the accused a mental patient

22. Barbara Brewster MBE May 16, 2016 at 1:05 pm

I first met Patrick when I was appointed President of the Barbados overseas Nurses(UK) from 1997-2000 and 2003 -2006. During my two terms in office Patrick sat on the executive .He was a great problem solver and could always be relied on for sound counsel. He had such an engaging smile. I will miss him. May he rest in peace and rise in glory.