Teachers form a sea of red in Queen’s Park

In a strong show of solidarity, teachers from the nation’s schools all decked in red have gathered in Queen’s Park.

IMG-20160504-WA0009 The Barbados Union of Teachers (BUT) summoned its members to the meeting after Minister of Education Ronald Jones declined the union’s request for talks.

IMG-20160504-WA0006

Addressing the crowd this morning, BUT Public Relations Officer Dwayne Goddard said teachers were fearful and they want their issues addressed by the Minister of Education.

IMG-20160504-WA0002
He insisted that the teachers’ concerns were bigger than the recent violent incident which occurred at Ellerslie Secondary between a teacher and student.

30 Responses to Teachers form a sea of red in Queen’s Park

1. Donna Harewood May 4, 2016 at 12:30 pm

We hope you get your meeting and we hope that you will consider that the children whom you are charged with teaching will still be around either to help you or make you even more afraid in your old age. We are all interconnected until death and we must balance our present needs against our future needs. I hope things can be sorted out to everyone’s satisfaction.

2. Ryan Williams
    Ryan Williams May 4, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Question, suppose you were being forced to work with children who damaged your car, hit you, curse you and threaten to shoot you? Suppose you were shown a gun and told a bullet for you if you violate? For those of you commenting here, if this happened to you and you complained to the ministry for action and no one cared to meet with you.. suppose a girl allegedly kicked a female teacher recently and forced you to concede that enough is enough…. .you tried and the minister Said wunna ain’t that important……. now, is your life and well being less important than one or two teaching days of students? Is there a compromise? So yes, I just gave loose examples but if the teachers need to be heard and have their grievances addressed, please meet with them….If they have to strike and disrupt classes, that’s the price to pay since the ministry only reacts when pressure is applied. Some of wunna bajans need to hosh wunna tails.

• Natalia Reid
      Natalia Reid May 4, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Ryan Williams I don’t know you and I love you. What you just said is what I’ve been saying all along. Everybody knows there are bad teachers in the system, but don’t lump all teachers in the same basket. Deal with the issues that need to be dealt with…and the only way that will happen is if pressure is felt

3. Wayne R. Pilgrim-Cadogan
    Wayne R. Pilgrim-Cadogan May 4, 2016 at 12:53 pm

The Barbados Union of Teachers need to get their house in order first, before they make demands regarding who should be expelled or closing down schools and show the productivity of the same teachers that they want to represent. What about all the pedophiles in your mist that needs weeding out of the system instead of transferring them from school to school, shouldn’t they be fired and and identified similar to other countries? Our children’s education has been slipping for years and one can compare the amount of low marks in the common entrance exams now to yesteryear. So, before you continuing to make all these demands, take a good look at your organization and see if it is fulfilling the mandate that is setup to do!

• Angela Maria
      Angela Maria May 4, 2016 at 1:47 pm

So let me get this straight. According to you and the people liking your comment, it is the job of the teachers’ Union to:
      1.weed out pedophiles
      2. Raise the national standard of the BSSEE
      3. Provide the public with proof of teacher productivity
      And for years, here I was thinking that the mandate of a Union, any Union, was to protect workers’ rights and negotiate for suitable working conditions, salary and concessions.
      Thank you for educating me today that the teachers’ Union is, in fact, the Ministry of Education.
      Smdh

• Wayne R. Pilgrim-Cadogan
      Wayne R. Pilgrim-Cadogan May 4, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Angela Maria Madam, the Union has out lived its usefulness, has no teeth, no power and only only act as an agitator and this is worldwide!

• Angela Maria
      Angela Maria May 4, 2016 at 3:44 pm

Sir, you don’t even seem to know what it’s “use” is based on your initial statement. So how do you know it has been “outlived”?

• Angela Maria
      Angela Maria May 4, 2016 at 3:46 pm

The problem isn’t the union. It is the embarrassingly high number of house niggers that exist in present society. Even in Bussa’s time, there weren’t so many!

• Toyna Green
      Toyna Green May 4, 2016 at 4:00 pm

If teachers are so bad why DE fuss if they not in the classrooms?

• Wayne R. Pilgrim-Cadogan
      Wayne R. Pilgrim-Cadogan May 4, 2016 at 4:56 pm

Felicia Trotman Was never a follower, was always a leader. That is why I am successful in life!

• Wayne R. Pilgrim-Cadogan
      Wayne R. Pilgrim-Cadogan May 4, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Angela Maria . Since you know, I hope that it is beneficial to you and your cause. Do have a very pleasant day!

• Wayne R. Pilgrim-Cadogan
      Wayne R. Pilgrim-Cadogan May 4, 2016 at 6:46 pm

Naval, I too am surprise that you would attack me for my freedom of comments. Every one is taking the sides of the teachers, what about the student in this case that has inflamed this whole issue, doesn’t the the students have any rights too? This is the second case involving a student that they are ranting and raving about and wanting to strike. Before it was an environmental problem with the schools, that has died down now, so this is just another issue to stay out of the class rooms. Are they going to put back in all the time that they spend out of the classrooms? What about our children’s education? Enough said on the matter, guess that we all will see it as we want to see it and some will jump on the bandwagon of the teachers. I haven’t heard nobody respond to my query regarding the pedophiles among them! And that is a reality and has always been there in the school system.

• Wayne R. Pilgrim-Cadogan
      Wayne R. Pilgrim-Cadogan May 4, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Neval Greenidge By the way, I hold no political affiliations and therefore not blinded by anything other than the truth and what affect the masses!

• Ashanda Coward
      Ashanda Coward May 4, 2016 at 6:58 pm

I will always say kudos to teachers because they deal with so many different spirits daily, but a lot of you know what these kids and some of the said teachers need deliverance. Do you guys know that some of these kids have groups in schools and be worshipping Satan during break and lunch time mmmm this confession was made to me in one of these said secondary schools in Barbados mmmm. I agreed with Mr Jones when he said the children have demons but a lot of people don’t want to acknowledge that but they are. Some teachers cant handle these spirits because some got perverted spirits themselves and looking at the people young girls and boys. The whole system corrupt smh

• Ashanda Coward
      Ashanda Coward May 4, 2016 at 7:00 pm

Nuff a wanna bajans too one sided and its real sickening very much so

• Toyna Green
      Toyna Green May 4, 2016 at 7:34 pm

A lot of so called parents are pedophiles and child abusers.

• Wayne R. Pilgrim-Cadogan
      Wayne R. Pilgrim-Cadogan May 4, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Sarah Williams Old, wise and successful! What about you?

• Mark Fenty
      Mark Fenty May 4, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Angela Maria, Wayne point regarding the union effectiveness has some merit because as a member of a union for close to thirty years, I can say to you unequivocally, that union of today is no way close to the union of the 80s and beyond. The union is so ineffective today that is doesn’t even have the full support of its members, and that has been it undoing I am afraid to say. But add to that, the delegates the union put in the trenches to do the heavy lifting don’t even understand the concept of mobilizing and organizing the workforce.

• Mark Fenty
      Mark Fenty May 4, 2016 at 9:32 pm

Wayne, ignore de pickney because she bare smoke and very little fire boss.

4. deejay May 4, 2016 at 1:24 pm

I hate how the masses tend to view teachers as people that “must” do their jobs, moreso than any others. When Doctors get their lab coats in a twist, and bring all their business out into the print and visual media: where are the corresponding demands for them to: “better get their tails back in the Hospital and heal the Sick?!” The teachers are within their rights to take whatever action they need to, whenever they consider that action most likely to have the greatest impact. The Ministry of Education needs to enter the debate on equal terms, and stop acting so arrogant, as though they are being “begged” for attention by supplicants. “Power corrupts, and absolute power has Absolutely corrupted” the education actors in our society.

5. BaJan boy May 4, 2016 at 3:36 pm

Donna Harewood is clearly one of those iliterate Barbadians who despite the regression of our country sees nothing with this DLP administration. I can understand her plight since she see me to have gained nothing from teachers.

6. Donna Harewood May 4, 2016 at 3:53 pm

Silly Bajan, I have already written here on this website about my dissatisfaction with this DLP administration which I helped to vote in. When calling someone illiterate it would be a good idea to learn to spell it correctly. And unfortunately for your argument I was once a teacher myself. May I offer you help with your Comprehension classes which you obviously didn’t complete. I said I hope they get their meeting. I wish that they would keep a balance in their demands and I hope EVERYBODY including teachers will be satisfied by the outcome.

7. Donna Harewood May 4, 2016 at 3:54 pm

May I offer….?

8. dave May 4, 2016 at 6:29 pm

I have to be very sensitive when I make statements in this forum because I cannot understand why simple statements by me are not published at times. So here goes.

I sense that some members of the society expect that just like slaves ,the workers of this country should suffer and bear every and anything regardless of how it affects them. There is something called collateral damage and please note that the BUT has declared war and those persons making comments calling for the teachers to take note of the children and their needs are barking up the wrong tree. Mr. Jones is the servant of the people and he needs to humble and grant the teachers their meetings and take action to correct the problems that the teachers are facing. If it is asking too much of Mr. Jones , he should tender his resignation and if he does not do so, the Prime Minister should fire Mr. Jones.

I do hope that my comments are published by the moderator.

9. Maria May 4, 2016 at 8:01 pm

I guess name calling is mow the norm in Barbados
    We once were a great nation. We are beginning to sound like Trump when others disagree with us
    Shame shame.

10. Sherlock Holmes. May 4, 2016 at 9:05 pm

Dave i can see why you are moderated you just do not make much sense,you are so political and being objective is not one of your strong points you are just a spewer of drivel.

11. 3rdsun May 4, 2016 at 10:44 pm

The threats by the union can be equated to bullying. “We demand a meeting by next Wednesday or else” said the BUT. The Ministry wrote them saying ” We cannot accommodate you on said date”. Union hold a tantrum and act like children. All they needed to do was reply to the ministry seeking a date where both parties would be satisfied. But alas I aint went school too long, teachers always pon strike.

12. Donna Harewood May 5, 2016 at 8:03 am

Maria, I hope you didn’t mean me because I was just gently chiding Bajan Boy for his silly and misinformed attack on me. I had a good laugh when I read it so there was no spite, just amusement.