Organisers revert to original Crop Over dates

This year’s Soca Royale will take place on July 24th, while the Pic-O-De Crop Finals will be held on July 30th as originally announced.

Following concerns expressed by several artistes about a possible change to the dates to accommodate a special cricket match in honour of national hero Sir Garry Sobers, Minister of Culture Stephen Lashley announced today that the organizers would be sticking to the original programme.

“We have determined that given all of the factors that those dates remain the same.

“I’m hoping that those persons who were concerned will be happy to hear that,” Lashley told reporters during a press conference at the Kensington Oval.

However, he announced venue changes for some key events.

The Crop Over Read In, which has traditionally been held at Harrison’s Cave, will take place at the Barbados Museum and Historical Society.

This year, there will only be one “mega Cavalcade” which will be held in Lashley’s constituency of Christ Church West Central at the Briar Hall playing field, moving from Queen’s Park, The City.

The official thanksgiving service, previously held at the St James Parish Church, has also been shifted to Sharon Moravian Church in St Thomas.

Lashley said the changes were to allow all communities to benefit during the festival.
(DB)

One Response to Organisers revert to original Crop Over dates

  1. dave May 4, 2016 at 7:20 pm

    All dem doing is destroying Crop Over . Dem have no ideas nor are they attracting or listening to people who have the ideas . This Government is a total waste of time and it has nothing to do with any recession : they are just plain bad

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *