October 22, 2016 - Intrigue among Barbados Pride With the start of the 2016-17 West ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Water hope Relief could soon be on the way for ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Priest supports ban on religious teaching in schools An outspoken Anglican cleric is sup ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Child’s mental plight Children as young as ten years old ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Bitter infighting mars BLP nominations A political firestorm appears to be ... +++ October 22, 2016 - ‘Illegal’ levy Government’s newly-introduced two ... +++

Former West Indies cricketer Franklyn Rose tells his story

Former West Indies cricketer Franklyn Rose has been speaking about his deportation from New Zealand for the first time since he was sent back to Jamaica earlier this month.

A statement issued by the West Indies Players Association (WIPA) today said Rose began a professional contract with New Zealand Cricket playing and coaching at the club level in 2010. He spent two years at the club level before his contract ended, with the hopes of retaining a new one.

The WIPA statement said that Rose was a victim to a traumatic racial assault in 2012 which changed his life forever.

Four caucasian men slurred racially discriminatory words while attacking him in attempt to steal his car. “They beat me down. One [guy] missed my head and chopped me on the hand.” explained Rose.

The former cricketer was subsequently admitted in the hospital in the Intensive Care Unit for three days before being released prematurely. “The nurses kicked me out, [they] said they needed to care for other patients. And after a day, my friend had to take me back to the hospital. I was having some serious pains.” Rose said. “The doctors told me I had a blood clot in my lungs and I had nerve damage in my hand.” His cricket career was seemingly over. Irrespective of his medical condition, Rose was once again thrown out of the hospital after three days.

A few days later, Rose had to be taken back to the emergency room at the public hospital but he was denied treatment.

Former West Indies cricketer Franklyn Rose

“They thought that I was addicted to drugs or pain medication or something. They knew I was sick though; that I had a blood clot. I ended up going to a private hospital instead.” said Rose.

He emphasized that the private hospital fees ranged as high at US$1500 a day, which he had to pay out-of-pocket.  He was discharged after a week.

“I was prescribed very strong medication; Warfarin. That’s a blood thinner.” Rose said.  “I also had internal bleeding in my brain. That meant more hospital fees and medication, and I was advised by the doctors that I could not travel by air.”  He explained that the severity of his health and the intake of these drugs disallowed him from flying back home to Jamaica. Rose stayed in New Zealand for another two years, whilst seeing various health specialists per week to assist with his slow recovery.

According to him the police showed up at his house one morning, questioned him about his immigration status and asked for medical documents.

“I told them everything and gave them all my documents” Rose said. “They put me [on] a reporting order. I had to report to the police station every Wednesday at 9:00 a.m. I did that religiously.”

“Everything was ok up until eight weeks ago. The police came to my house at 6:00am and dragged me out. That was the last time I saw my house.”

Rose stated that the policemen who escorted him informed him that he was under investigation for an alleged rape incident.

“I was so confused. I know that it was a lie and they treated me like I was nothing.”

Upon his arrival to the police station, he was questioned once again by the police about his immigration status and then thrown in jail. Rose was then advised that, irrespective of his medical condition, he would be deported due to his overstay.

He said he was taken to court and advised by the judge that there were no flights available for his deportation.

“They threw me in prison for 10 days among murderers, rapists and other convicts. It was crazy, I know I didn’t belong there.” Rose said.

“I couldn’t get to use the shower. I couldn’t brush my teeth for ten days and I didn’t even get my medication until after eight days of being locked up. I could have died in that cell. I was so depressed.”

Rose said on the 11th day he was taken back to court and then advised once again that there were no flights available. “They said I would have to go back to prison for another 28 days. I know for a fact that there were flights to and from New Zealand every day. That was ridiculous.”

Rose recalled his most scarring experience in prison: “I was finally given shower privileges, but no one told me that each shower lasted for only five minutes. They cut off the water while I was soaped up. I had to wash off myself with the water from the toilet.” Rose explained that he subsequently suffered from blisters and growing lesions on his skin but was denied medical attention.

After spending 38 days in prison, he was taken out of his cell and escorted to the airport. “They put me in one of those prison trucks. They treated me like a criminal. When we got to the airport, two armed police guys were behind me the whole time with huge guns.” He was then seated at back of the plane and placed under high security. Rose was finally going home.

According to WIPA, to date there has been no arrest related to his assault to date.

Franklyn Rose’s attorney is currently pursuing the matter. He believes it is important to recount his story for public information on racial profiling predominantly Caucasian environments. “Yeah, I want people to understand my side of the story; to set record straight” Rose said.

Rose is looking forward to his full recovery, enabling him to once again make a contribution to cricket.

Source: West Indies Players Association (WIPA)

12 Responses to Former West Indies cricketer Franklyn Rose tells his story

1. Melissa S Rollins
    Melissa S Rollins April 18, 2016 at 2:12 pm

Listen, why wanna black don’t keep out NZ & Austrailia? If you are there with WI on tour play your games & come out otherwise stay away!

• Samud Ali
      Samud Ali April 18, 2016 at 3:08 pm

And make money how? How about we in the WI respond to this story with massive media retaliation and support for Mr Rose? How about WI call for the rest of the world (the cricket world) to respond as they responded to Chris Gayle’s stupid attempt at being charming? Any person of any colour has the right to go anywhere in this world (legally) to make a life doing it what they’re good at….lets see if the WI Cricket board or Governments respond with boycotts

• Melissa S Rollins
      Melissa S Rollins April 18, 2016 at 3:43 pm

What im saying to black atheletes/cricketers is go make your money & get out! His contract was up, unless he had another lined up immediately he should have left until he had another. I agree with you we have a right to travel or work where we please. However,some places in the world seem to have an issue. Should that stop us? Not necessarily,but keep your eyes wide open . Between getting assaulted, the terrible treatment in hospital & prison this chap could have lost his life! Gayle may have been rude & unprofessional but the witch hunt that took place after i believe was not necessary.
      As i said make your money there IF you have to & get out. His contract was up, he was assualted then was so poorly treated. Surely it did not take 2 years for him to be stable enough to fly! After all the trauma he went through he should have flown home, to the UK or heck if the US to continue his treatment.
      This story is very sad. As you said he needs our support & i’m sure he will be but support from Wicb? But Wicb boycotting anyone? Please don’t hold your breath.

• Samud Ali
      Samud Ali April 18, 2016 at 5:44 pm

He has a right to live where he wants and to renegotiate whatever contracts he wants. Wherever in the world he is assaulted , they should feel it just as if an Amurcan was assaulted in another country. But alas, we are lambs

2. Kim Ramsay
    Kim Ramsay April 18, 2016 at 2:15 pm

I’m lost for words so all I will say is wow!

3. jrsmith April 18, 2016 at 3:08 pm

Us black people must realize New Zealand is racist that’s all the English crap which was sent there. we shouldn’t take this matter lightly , our region need to complain to the head of the Common Wealth….that’s my bajan bit..

4. Sherene Drakes-Seales
    Sherene Drakes-Seales April 18, 2016 at 5:01 pm

Chupes!!. The same arrogance and ignorance he displayed while playing for the West Indies most likely he went down there with. He’s bigger, badder and better than everyone else. Give Malcolm Marshall hell when Marshall was bowling coach.. He is known to Mis behave wherever he goes. He always felt that the rules did not apply to him.

• harry turnover April 18, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Tell them Sherene. Thats’ his story…what really happened had a lot to do with his stupidity judging from what I read in another forum.

5. David April 19, 2016 at 3:39 pm

Typical response from the anti-black,token blacks that we unfortunately have among us in Barbados and the Caribbean.
    Mr Rose was physically assaulted,ill-treated by the authorities and virtually left to rot in a prison in New Zealand and we have people in the Caribbean seeking to justify that type of behavior.
    Mr Rose should never have been the receiver of such barbaric behavior and in-humane treatment.
    Justification should never be given for whet happened to Mr.Rose.The foolishness that Mr.Rose is arrogant and ignorant are no reasons why he should the recipient of a beeating and ill-treatment.
    Shane Warne,Steve Waugh,David Warner from Australia as well of Ben Stokes from England are arrogant and pompous.Did those cricketers ever recievd ill-treatment from us in tge West Indies.
    the anti-blacks,tokens blacks love to support the mis-treatment of blacks by other ethnic groups.
    When will we learn?

• harry turnover April 21, 2016 at 5:14 pm

If you had read the article in another forum .this anti black.token black talk would never have emanated from the mouth of an obviously uninformed black man.This IS an edited verson of what went on.In the original version some parts DID NOT MAKE ANY SENSE AT ALL.
      Yes he was beaten,….BUT…..nurses CANNOT kick out ANYBODY from a Hospital…you obviously DO NOT KNOW that and why was the Jamaican authorities not notified during the 2 years he said HE COULD NOT FLY.

6. David April 19, 2016 at 3:47 pm

Sherene Drake -Seale if it was you or a member of your family would you be happy if a comment like your with the accompanying chupse! has been posted.
    Some people in the Caribbean and this world has no self-respect,self-dignity or self-worth.No wonder we are disrespected,abuse,ridicule,curse and dislike by the other ethnic groups.
    Sherene Drake-Seale you have my sympathy