October 26, 2016 - Wanted man bulletin Police are seeking the assistance o ... +++ October 26, 2016 - School feeding programmes could help fight NCDs A food and nutrition official has i ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Government has run out of options – Arthur Government’s fiscal policy is inf ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Sick airline A top official of regional airline ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Teachers back away from court threat The Barbados Union of Teachers (BUT ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Beacon supports regulatory move Beacon Insurance Company is giving ... +++

Ellerslie teacher suffers low blow from student

A teacher at one of this island’s Government-run secondary schools was today forced to seek urgent medical attention after she was reportedly spat on and kicked in her vagina by a 13-year-old female student.

Barbados TODAY understands that the incident stemmed from an attempt by the teacher to verbally discipline the student, who was asked to step outside the classroom.

Up to the time of publication neither Principal Major Errol Brathwaite nor top officials of the Ministry of Education, including Minister Ronald Jones, could be reached for comment.

However, so shook up was the 42-year-old teacher following today’s incident that she was said to be contemplating not returning to the Black Rock, St Michael learning institution, which has reportedly been grappling with problems of illegal drugs and theft.

“I have had enough, something is wrong at that school,” said an irate spokesman for the teacher, who described the student involved in today’s attack, as “troubled”.

He also expressed concern that the principal did not immediately suspend the student, but said the matter had been reported to police.

The incident is not the first one at the urban secondary school. Just recently, a student was reportedly suspended for one day after a teacher was “pushed right down”. That teacher, who is in her 50s, has since been sent on two years’ sick leave.

Attacks on teachers by students are a worrying but growing development, according to President of the National Council of Parent Teacher Association (NCPTA) Shone Gibbs, who called on the authorities to put a stop to it.

Gibbs told Barbados TODAY this evening that he had been informed of four reports in recent weeks of students assaulting teachers.

The NCPTA head called on schools boards and the Ministry of Education, who are ultimately responsible for the welfare and security of the schools, to send a “clear message” to students that this behaviour was unacceptable.

“It is one too many. Two, three, four; this is a no no. We need to deal with it and be very clear that it will not be tolerated in our schools. Send a clear message that this will not be tolerated,” Gibbs said. (AH/KJ)

Mothers Day _Leaderboard

15 Responses to Ellerslie teacher suffers low blow from student

1. Sandie Blades
    Sandie Blades April 14, 2016 at 5:08 am

It will get worse.

2. Ann Aquarius
    Ann Aquarius April 14, 2016 at 5:48 am

Mannnn wdmc…this is why de lord told me not to teach devil spawn….i doan negotiate with terrorists!!!….nothing is wrong with the schools…it’s the mindset of students…they have ONE job alone…and that is to take in knowledge…some find any and every thing else to do other than what they were sent to school to do….spit on who?…kick who?…troubled?…my muddah wuddah twist my face behind my back…walk me back to de school n embarass me!

• brenda April 15, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Got that right

3. harry turnover April 14, 2016 at 6:59 am

EXPELL THE DAMN STUDENT and ALL others who feel that they can do as they like AND THEN PUT THEM BEFORE THE LAW COURTS FOR ASSAULT…….FULL STOP !!!
    The victim now contemplating leaving and the BULLY might get a suspension with those STUPID MOE outdated rules ,returning to School to be ” BIG UP ” by her class mates and others….DAMN FOOLISHNESS !!
    Ms. Redman over to you……DEMAND THIS….IF THAT STUDENT IS NOT EXPELLED AND CHARGE FOR ASSAULT…CALL OUT ALL OF YOUR TEACHERS the exception at this time being those preparing those students for the 11 plus.,and when the 11 plus done and the student not expelled CALL THEM OUT TOO.

• brenda April 15, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Got CXC

4. Yvonne Morris April 14, 2016 at 7:09 am

two thumbs up harry turnover …….. RIDICULOUS !!

5. Miche April 14, 2016 at 7:47 am

” , who called on the authorities to put a stop to it.’ i FIND THIS STATEMENT TO BE UNFAIR,,,, Parents MUST take responsibility for their offspring,,,,,

6. LeRoi Goodridge April 14, 2016 at 9:26 am

It hurts me to know that this is the behavior of students at my beloved Ellerslie, however, I agree that something must be done urgently about this and a strong message needs to be sent to this and any student who may believe that this behavior is acceptable.

I also believe that such behavior is sometimes as a result of the home situation. We as parents and adults have failed this society and now we want to lay all the blame on the youth. If we as adults had set better examples for them to follow, we would not have so much of this in our schools, work places and our society.

Barbados needs to turn back to God!

7. jami April 14, 2016 at 9:46 am

When you have parents teaching their children to be disrespectful to adults,teaching them to steal ,what can the powers that be do? Society has degenerated to the point of no return

8. Jack de ripper April 14, 2016 at 10:15 am

Now as a parent I know that my children know they would never do that to anyone unless defending themselves. They know they’d never put hands on anyone in authority over them and that I will always have their back. You hit, spit, kick be prepared. No authority is needed to put that right.

9. junior April 14, 2016 at 11:02 am

if we can give bail to those who allegedly commit murder; release those who kill;get organizations that are in sympathy with persons who do wrong what you expect . do hit the children talk to them till your mouth hurts.
    there is no way that a 13 year old will kick and spit on me and I take that. No way . I would have to be before the judge.

10. harry turnover April 14, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Some of the worse behave children at School are the best behave at home.So how can someone blame parents when peer pressure kicks in at School ?
    @Miche……so Parents must take the blame and the punishment and the offspring do as they please and get ” biig up” at Schools ?
    The PARENTS of the man at Dodds that beheaded two people sometime ago should therfore have taken responsibility…. is that what you are saying ?
    Not my child…my child did gine do something like that…my child was a well behave child…I had my child bringing up the right way,going to Sunday School and all among other sayings.
    Those are the sayings of PARENTS who were doing their BEST with their offspring….and wha happened ?? This is the REAL WORLD mate where the good, the bad,the wutless and the indifferent have to servive….. not the PERFECT WORLD !!

11. Don Morris April 14, 2016 at 3:20 pm

When I was a little child my family and their friends always thought I would have been a teacher: I used to gather my mother’s chairs together, had a black board that my father made for me, and chalk, and I would be teaching those chairs. Now I know why that idea didn’t stick to me. If I was a teacher and a child was “sick” enough to spit on me and kick me where this one is supposed to kicked the teacher, I would have done the exact same thing to her! Cruel you say? Well wasn’t it cruel for her to do what she did to the teacher in the first place? Secondly, I think she should have been EXPELLED from the school WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT! As suggested by a previous writer, I hope the Barbados Union of Teachers and ALL OTHER TEACHERS’ Unions in Barbados demand that she be removed from the school system for clearly, she does not go to school to learn. It would be interesting to learn what her grades usually are in all subjects. It is time for the rot to stop and someone has to be made an example of — and this is a clear case for that. I know it is terrible but if nothing is done in this case then the way is being paved for other students to think that they can get away with all the crap. TIME TO STOP THE ROT!!!

12. Sage Christmas April 14, 2016 at 6:50 pm

Well, well ,well why should we be all surprise, at such events, If we are calling for the banning of licks for children, it should be expected that teachers life will be at fist, now more than ever. Most of these children are smoking a lot of weed and drinking a lot of strong drinks and going to school higher than cloud nine. The problem we want to reject God’s way and our way will cause destruction. We parent need to take back leadership role in our homes and we hard back lazy men need to step up and be the men in our homes that we are to be. Children need to be able to trust us as adult too. We need the mothers, fathers, gran-mothers and fathers, uncles and aunties, even older responsible men and women in our communities to come together and let us play a positive role in giving back to our Country. We have fail our young people and now we are paying the price and it will get worse. I am also calling on the church to not worrying about how much members and money it can get and let us try to help our young people, let us be good example to them so that if they need some one to talk to they can come knowing that no one will abuse them in any way or fashion. Lord help our Nation I pray may we look to you from when cometh our help, we call on you in the time of need, in Jesus name Amen.

13. Sophie Haynes April 15, 2016 at 9:27 am

A seed is always planted we get to see the fruit and determine if it’s sweet, sour or bitter… Don’t blame the children of today they are the same as the children of yesterday, it is the nature of a child to push his or her limits. We are the adults we get to set boundaries like our parents did but we decided to throw out the baby with the bath water by over-compensating for our up bringing… Stop leaving everything for God to fix too, you have a functioning brain do some thing…