October 27, 2016 - United win Manchester derby Juan Mata struck to win a tight Man ... +++ October 27, 2016 - IAAF wants Bolt’s services KINGSTON, Jamaica – IAAF Pres ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Proper shutdown protocol needed, says Bynoe The Department of Emergency Managem ... +++ October 27, 2016 - ‘Out of touch’ Economist Ryan Straughn says the la ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Lowe looking to protect the south coast A senior policymaker has warned tha ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Road Hockey 5s hit halfway mark After three weeks of competition th ... +++

Blackett has no time for political ‘clowns’

A political circus!

That’s how St Michael Central MP Steve Blackett has described Sunday’s Opposition Barbados Labour Party (BLP) nomination exercise, which pitted attorney-at-law Arthur Holder against the Government’s Director of Youth Hally Haynes.

Holder was eventually elected to carry the BLP’s banner in urban riding, where narrowly lost to Blackett by 39 votes in the 2013 election.

Before a large gathering at the George Lamming Primary School, Welches, St Michael, Holder also took aim at his political challenger, who is the Minister of Social Care, Constituency Empowerment and Community Development claiming that  all was definitely not well at the Child Care Board, which is one the statutory agencies, which falls under his ministry.

Holder, who is a former employee of the Child Care Board, charged: “ Never in the history of Barbados has there been an upheaval at the Child Care Board as what currently exists. People are being banned from board meetings.”

He went on to say that Blackett should tell the public why it is that contracts were going out to certain personnel and whether or not there were interests that need to be investigated.

The attorney-at-law further charged that people were doing as they like and getting large amounts of money but no one was saying anything.

However, when asked to respond to Holder’s charges, Blackett said: “I do not discuss the business of my statutory boards or any of the eleven agencies in this ministry in public, based on allegations.

“What I would say though is that as member of parliament of St Michael Central I have no time for the political circus that is occurring in St Michael Central at this time with the BLP, especially between the two candidates that contested the nomination last Sunday. That is a political circus and I am leaving that circus and its clowns to get on with their business.”

However, in giving a detailed summary of the work he has done over the last eight years, Blackett said: “I am busy as Member of Parliament for the last eight years repairing roads as I have done throughout the entire Water Hall Land area; I am busy replacing houses with extensive repairs and complete rebuildings; I have done close to about 35 houses in St Michael Central; I am busy superintending the running of my breakfast programme in the Station Hill area which provides breakfast for close to 150 school children every single morning; I am busy organizing my Mothers’ Day event that honours and treats 150 mothers on an annual basis; I am busy with my schools’ uniform programme which provides uniforms for 80 children every year and I am busy organising generally speaking all of my community projects in St Michael Central.” (NC)

7 Responses to Blackett has no time for political ‘clowns’

1. Daniel Red Man Clarke
    Daniel Red Man Clarke April 13, 2016 at 5:19 am

No time for political clowns and you an active member of the DLP circus ? Stupes.

2. Sunshine Sunny Shine April 13, 2016 at 5:49 am

The truth of the matter is Blackett could be consider one of the better ministers in the Freundel Stuart led administration. The new candidate for the Barbados Labour Party will have to provide his proof since we all know the silly season dictates that it is time to throw accusations left, right and centre. But, Mr Blackett, I must admit that in your seeking to describe the BLP as a bunch of circus clowns, would you be able to tell me what clown act you would call your administration after the repeated nonsense, said and done, has given them the coveted title of worst government and leadership ever to come forth from any political party in Barbados?

3. BaJan boy April 13, 2016 at 6:01 am

@Sunshine sunny shine
    none of those Ministers can be described as better when nothing good has been done. Blackett is always silent because he prefers not to open his mouth and be considered a fool. We know the clown wanting to be Prime Minister Innis is simply a clown because he opens his mouth every day sometimes like medication three time a day…

• Sunshine Sunny Shine April 13, 2016 at 8:45 am

There is enough evidence to aptly describe the Freundel Stuart led administration as a practice in self-proclaimed good governance that is simply ignoring the obviouses, the warnings provided, the suffering happening, and the effect it is having on the people. In essence, it is nothing short of idiocy. To describe them as clowns is to take away from the fun a good circus performance is intended to bring to a paying audience. What Stuart and his team are doing is not making anyone laugh but causing many to despair. It has increased criminal activity to a problem per day; it is causing people to commit desperate acts, and families to become disrupted and disadvantaged, All of what they are doing and have done is responsible for the current social issues that have spiraled out of control. There is a heightened degree of desperation that is permeating the air of Barbados. It feels as if the island has been thrown back into to a depressing era, instead of one that should have progressed to a stage where everyone is enjoying and benefiting from Barbados’ well-managed development. Instead, only a few are now living the bajan dream while all others are reliving nightmares that should be part of a past long gone. The DLP has failed us, but the BLP have significantly contributed to those failings in the latter stages of their governmental tenure.

4. harry turnover April 13, 2016 at 8:28 am

Hey…I don’t believe the BLP has endorsed the same CLOWN as they did the last time around.
    Who you expect me to vote for again ?

5. dave April 13, 2016 at 10:54 am

Arthur is a good boy
    Up and On !!
    as he would tell yuh

6. Sherlock Holmes. April 14, 2016 at 12:07 am

He boasted the same way last time and was beaten wonder what he will do if he suffers the same fate?Boy it is always better to count the chickens or the votes after they have hatched.