October 27, 2016 - United win Manchester derby Juan Mata struck to win a tight Man ... +++ October 27, 2016 - IAAF wants Bolt’s services KINGSTON, Jamaica – IAAF Pres ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Proper shutdown protocol needed, says Bynoe The Department of Emergency Managem ... +++ October 27, 2016 - ‘Out of touch’ Economist Ryan Straughn says the la ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Lowe looking to protect the south coast A senior policymaker has warned tha ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Road Hockey 5s hit halfway mark After three weeks of competition th ... +++

Bajan woman ‘kicked off’ LIAT flight

A complaint on social media by a Barbadian woman that she was discriminated against and “kicked off” a LIAT flight when she refused to give up her seat on a journey from Grenada has gone viral.

The woman posted a video on Facebook describing her ordeal, which reportedly took place yesterday morning at the Maurice Bishop International Airport (MBIA) as she was getting ready to travel home. Up to this evening it had received over 60 comments, more than 149,000 views and 2,300 shares.

The woman, who referred to herself as Ms Browne, is seen leaning against a column and stating that she did not want to “bash” LIAT over its delays because she was a “strong supporter” of the airline.

However, she said when she arrived MBIA for a 6:55 a.m. flight to Barbados she was asked by a LIAT agent to give up her seat as “a favour”, and she would be placed on the 12:40 p.m. flight in order to accommodate passengers who had connections in Martinique and those with appointments at the United States embassy here.

The woman said she was offered a voucher for breakfast and lunch.

“You cannot discriminate against me because I was probably the only Bajan on the flight going to Barbados and you deemed that my reasoning for being on that flight was not as important as everybody else. And you had the audacity to tell me I can have breakfast and lunch, $25 and $35 vouchers, even if that is what it is. Are you kidding me?” said the woman.

She said the agent was seemingly unhappy that she refused the offer and left with “her face ben up”, but that a different agent returned later
and advised that she had been moved to the 12:40 p.m. flight because “LIAT operations has said you should be the person who get put off the flight because everybody else has a connection to make.

“I said, ‘I don’t understand because my ticket was bought months ago, I paid the same amount of money as everybody, and how do you decide that what I have to go to Barbados to do is less important than what everybody else is going to do? Like, who makes you the authority to decide that my reasoning for being in Barbados is less important than somebody who has to make a connection somewhere else?’ She said, ‘okay, we will give you a voucher for breakfast and lunch’.

“So you kick me off the flight because I am a Bajan going to Barbados and I am supposed to be happy with breakfast and lunch and the next flight you are putting me on is at least six hours away from now, and I am supposed to be happy with that?

“I say, ‘well, sweetheart, I getting on that 6:55 [a.m.] flight from here to Barbados and as for right now, if I have to block the whole airport I am getting on the flight,” she added.

Ms Brown explained that she joined the queue to board the aircraft and as she waited the agent handed her a new boarding pass but she protested.

“I said, ‘I already have my boarding pass and I am going on the plane’. She goes outside and calls security.”

The LIAT passenger said after a security officer advised that the situation had already been explained to her she requested to speak with a senior official from the operations department but was told “LIAT operations is not open”.

“So I told her she could keep all of her vouchers because I am calling everybody. I will go to LIAT in Barbados; in the next two weeks I will go to LIAT in Antigua because this is not on,” she said.

The woman said in her video that she was waiting to speak with the manager and that she had read “every fine print detail there is on the LIAT website on terms and conditions”.

In a statement from the airline this afternoon, while not making specific reference to the woman or her video, LIAT apologized for any inconvenience that may have been experienced due to disruption to its Grenada service yesterday as a result of the unavailability of aircraft.

“The disruption affected some of our customers, who were accommodated on a later flight that day. The management of LIAT is aware of the inconvenience that this may have caused to some passengers and LIAT sincerely apologizes for the inconvenience,” said the statement.

“LIAT wishes to assure its customers that when it is necessary to adjust its schedule on account of any disruption, that there is no discrimination in the way in which it treats its customers.

“LIAT would like to once again apologize to all those who were affected by this situation,” it said. (MM)

56 Responses to Bajan woman ‘kicked off’ LIAT flight

1. Julian Marshall
    Julian Marshall April 13, 2016 at 5:10 am

When will they get some proper competition though..they would either shape up or shut down.

2. jrsmith April 13, 2016 at 5:53 am

If this bajan woman was any other island person this wouldn’t have happen, who is the paltry ass Manager .. Before we go any further she must first lodge a complaint, to whom I don’t know because all the region is the same crap. mind you cant see any one from this Government saying anything. Unless it was one of they friends..

3. Antonio Phillips-Griffith Bsc
    Antonio Phillips-Griffith Bsc April 13, 2016 at 6:03 am

Red jet was giving competition and the bajan government didn’t want that cause they wasting money on LIAT

• Julian Marshall
      Julian Marshall April 13, 2016 at 7:30 am

It’s true to some extent but I think Red jet started wrong in the first place.yes they wanted to provide cheap fares but they should have not started so cheap.that was in my opinion what caused their down fall.they could have given reasonable prices on tickets but to start that low was a wrong move..but that’s only my humble opinion

• Donild Trimp April 13, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Antonio you sure it was the Bajan Government who did not want Red Jet?

• Maritha April 13, 2016 at 2:53 pm

RedJet’s low fares were not the reason they didn’t last in the Caribbean. They didn’t start “wrong” on the front. Various governments and persons in various governments who also have interests in LIAT’s or friends who are leaders with interests in LIAT could not have RedJet coming in and cutting in to their share. The physical sabotage that was done to RedJet’s equipment, the policy paperwork that was blocked after being put through initially by the “higher ups” … RedJet realised they couldn’t break down this MAFIA. And this is why we must suffer with LIAT. To keep lining certain people’s pockets.

4. Sunshine Sunny Shine April 13, 2016 at 6:37 am

Talk about handling a situation badly LIAT. So I got to ask, how did you ask this Barbadian to oblige the situation? And, how is it that a person saying no, regardless of whether she sounded a little combatant and bombastic, and saying I am not giving up my seat, I am not giving in to a food and breakfast bribe, could result in you deciding, without consent, to change the lady’s boarding pass as you desire. Do you not know that the moment she paid for her ticket is an exclusive mutual agreement payment, delivery must be served? There is a case here for discrimination, breach of whatever flight policy protects the customer’s right, and inconvenience. Looks like you are in for a lawsuit LIAT, and rightfully so. You boo-booed big time.

5. CARLOS April 13, 2016 at 7:54 am

6. CARLOSBRADSHAW April 13, 2016 at 7:57 am

7. harry turnover April 13, 2016 at 8:24 am

Ms Browne……..TAKE UP THE MATTER WITH THE CARIBBEAN COURT OF JUSTICE…the CCJ…… see wha they gine do now the shoe is on the other foot.
    Just remember the MYRIE case……they BELIEVED her ALTHOUGH they say she LIED upfront.

8. Sheila G April 13, 2016 at 8:45 am

LIAT that was so unnecessary what you did to this passenger. How did you know this lady did’nt have a scheduled to met also and to offer her lunch that was an insult. You should have given free round trip tickets also. My lady I congratulate you for speaking up … LIAT you should be thankful you are not in another country. It takes one to make a change

9. Short One April 13, 2016 at 9:15 am

I had that same issue with them when I won a trip and on my way back to Barbados they decided that they would leave me in Antigua on my own with no accommodation, just because two employees decided they want to come for the ‘drive’. I told them hell no I am not being bumped off in a strange country and at night. I let them know I will be on that flight when it leaves Antigua for Barbados. When I got to Antigua I requested a LIAT supervisor and the lady who dealt with me told me she was supervisor. I asked why was I being bumped and she replied that the flight was full. I told her well you watch me when that Flight number call I will be getting on that flight. She reiterated her reply but by the time I mentioned that I had a particular person’s mobile
    number and I would make a call, all of a sudden there was room.
    I got on the flight with no hassle. I agree with Ms. Browne STAND YOUR GROUND. It is time LIAT (Leave Island Any Time) realise that we should be treated fairly in the GAME

10. Shamaine Andrew
    Shamaine Andrew April 13, 2016 at 10:04 am

She right…they asked she said no and wanna give De woman two stinking vouchers…..wanna trying to say she did look hungry?

11. Mhizz Joan Moore
    Mhizz Joan Moore April 13, 2016 at 10:37 am

They wanted her to give up her seat as a favor to someone else, she said no, so I think that should be the end of it, just tell the other passenger the lady said no so you gotta take another flight an call whoever you going to an let them know you will be late,but u just can’t bump a person like that it’s totally rude an unprofessional

12. dave April 13, 2016 at 10:39 am

I think that this woman is making a mountain out of a mole hill.
    She has not mentioned that she had anything in particular to do like having to go to work . She could have assisted the situation. She, in my opinion, is being too hard and inflexible. She is like a lot of the competitive people in the world, cannot give an inch. Some day she will need a favour . It is good to give . I do not support this woman , without knowing all the facts , I beleive she could have given way without quarrel.

• Sunshine Sunny Shine April 13, 2016 at 2:32 pm

That being true, why did Liat not ask other passengers to give up their seat. I am sure that all the people on the flight were not visiting some embassy in transit.

13. dave April 13, 2016 at 10:39 am

I think that this woman is making a mountain out of a mole hill.
    She has not mentioned that she had anything in particular to do like having to go to work . She could have assisted the situation. She, in my opinion, is being too hard and inflexible. She is like a lot of the competitive people in the world, cannot give an inch. Some day she will need a favour . It is good to give . I do not support this woman , without knowing all the facts , I believe she could have given way without quarrel.

• Donild Trimp April 13, 2016 at 12:25 pm

“She has not mentioned that she had anything in particular to do like having to go to work”.

Dave, the above statement from you makes no sense.

This is what happens when you place unqualified people in certain positions of authority.

This woman was asked as a favour to give up her seat. She said she cannot. Case close, end of story.

There are too many educated fools running things in the Caribbean.

14. Patrick April 13, 2016 at 10:48 am

LIAT should have ‘sweetened the pot’ more with free airfare and maybe an additional free ticket if it was this important. A couple of airport meals is not enough.
    The woman, rather being inflexible should have negotiated.

15. Guy Fox April 13, 2016 at 11:00 am

I think sometimes Barbadians / Humans should be a little less trouble, knowing that we are still (Debonair) in the Caribbean.

16. Shanda April 13, 2016 at 11:01 am

Don’t be an idiot Dave d point is that the woman had something important to do and if the person to whom she had to give way to had something important to do they should of bought their ticket early as well……I sick of this nonsense……. She didn’t had to go into detail in what she had to do that was of importance…….. I would understand if she had a free ticket because then she would have to take what she get but no she bought it ……end of story put you all selves in people shoes

17. Watchman April 13, 2016 at 11:13 am

How is it that there were more customers than seats on the airplane, it could not be that more customers were booked than there are seats on the airplane now could it ?

Was she the last to check in ?
    Since the agent apparently knew everyone else’s reason for traveling to Bim.

18. James April 13, 2016 at 11:20 am

We need LIAT and we need LIAT to succeed. Many other airlines deal with this problem very successfully by asking for volunteers to give up their seats, with happiness all around. How? The gate agent starts a little auction, and the offerings go beyond a paltry couple of meals: who will take delayed boarding, in exchange for a free flight? And if no takers, the offering goes up. In the end someone always takes the offer. LIAT doesn’t have this policy? Why not?

19. Chris April 13, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Dave you said you do not support this woman because you do not know all the facts but yet you are passing a judgement that the woman should give up her seat.

20. Kathy April 13, 2016 at 12:51 pm

She is a paying customer like all the others on the flights she don’t have to discuss her business why she can’t do it they need to do they business the right way to me they grabbing at more than they can chew

21. Jack April 13, 2016 at 1:39 pm

Lady….GO TO COURT (don’t mind it will take forever). The moment you paid for your ticket gave you passage to that flight. Bumping you from your already paid for seat for someone else is discrimination. No means NO, and LIAT’s incompetence need to be addressed.

22. kenny April 13, 2016 at 2:16 pm

It’s is sad but bajan people is only getting a taste of there of the medicine,wen u travel to Barbados they treat people very badly they are a set of people that only think about them self

23. dave April 13, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Chris -I do not know all the facts but if she could have given up to help the situation , she should have given up, all things considered. Sometimes it is good to think of others and if you can help , help others. It may mean that you will be inconvenienced but that is the idea.

We are told that Jesus sacrificed his LIFE. Sometimes we are asked to give up a little something to help others and we make it so difficult. We tend to be hard and just like some people on the road , who would refuse to ease a person just because the person maybe wrong, we play hard. With some people, if they perceived you are wrong, they are ready to judge you and punish you.

If it were me and I did not have to get to work immediately or anything so, I would have given up the seat because I would have wanted that person to catch their connection. I know that one good turn deserves another and if I can help someone I will. People think you are stupid if you act nice so a nasty attitude is a sign of being tough and that is why we have so much problems.

Each one teach one; Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Love your neighbour as your self. Do good and good will attend you. The character of a person s measured by what that person does in a crisis or under pressure. Karma is real !!

• Latifah April 13, 2016 at 7:37 pm

Well we do not have all the facts but I can tell you if it was me what I would do. Had the stewardess asked me and explained the reason, I would have gladly assisted a fellow passenger who needed a visa or had to make a connection. Particularly if I was not headed back to work that day. One never knows when we may be faced with a similar situation. As a Barbadian, from the post I do not think this lady was picked on because she was Barbadian. I think she was asked because she was not going onward. It also seems to me that others were asked because her one seat could not have accommodated “Passengers” but a passenger. So if we are fair, we may not have known who else or how many but I get the impression they needed more than one seat. Last but not least, when I hear a person say its because of their nationality, it makes me think of a black person saying they were discriminated against because of their colour when in fact they are not qualified for the thing they want. Its not always colour and its not always nationality. Yes I know before you all attack what I am saying – that discrimination does exist but a soft answer turns away wrath and had Ms Brown thought of anyone else but herself, she could have helped someone else and her blessings would no doubt follow.

• Baje April 13, 2016 at 7:42 pm

To help “the situation”? What the heck – it was LIAT’s stupidity that created “the situation”; and I am sick of seeing people being expected to conform to big corporation’s wrong-doings. Why should she have to be all meek-and-mild? She did nothing wrong. As long as there are people that don’t stand up for themselves, thing will never change and you will always get walked over.

24. Val April 13, 2016 at 2:56 pm

This is ridiculous. Liat has been doing this for years, when they don’t leave you in T&T in preference of the Trinis, they bump you all over the place then ask you to fly to the islands with them. Joke.This must stop.

25. Valerie April 13, 2016 at 3:24 pm

That is how LIAT operate they kick you off the flight however and whenever they feel like it. It’s not only Bajan the do like this. They treat Kittitians worst, imagine boarding a flight in St. Marten destine for St. Kitts at 9.30 – 10pm and they say nothing to you but next thing you know they land you in Antigua, transport you to some run down hotel for the night and give you nothing to eat for dinner nor breakfast after waiting more that four hours in St Marten because the flight had delayed. Next morning at the airport you are still scrabbling to get on a flight because there is not enough seats to accommodate all the passenger they bump.
    LIAT is a disgrace.

26. Bajan No 1 April 13, 2016 at 5:33 pm

A free ticket should have been offered to anyone willing or able to delay travel.

27. Alison Moore April 13, 2016 at 5:35 pm

I f Ms. Browne had to go to work or not i dont see how that is relevant,when traveling any where you does just want to get home, bottom line , airlines usually ask people to give up seats not just take people off flights. this is wrong big time.

28. j April 13, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Dave, do you know of the woman’s circumstances, do you know of her sacrifices, do you know what it is to travel these days and yet you saying she’s making a mountain out of a mole hill, well she said she read all the fine prints which some fail to do so she knows her rights regardless of how you feel about her mole hill. And then on top of it embarrassed her by calling a security guard, lawsuit I can see it coming. If it was you but it is NOT! What KARMA got to do with anything. So the tickets agents and LIAT should also be aware of KARMA then !!!

29. Baje April 13, 2016 at 7:28 pm

I think that any “bumping” that had to be done should have been on a last booked, first out basis. Since she had her ticket and reservation months ago I am sure there were others who were booked more recently after her – and it should have been the MOST RECENT fare purchaser to go, based on date of purchase of said ticket. I do NOT blame her for refusing. LIAT your actions were just plain nasty and unfair and you need to smarten up your act. She does not have to give a valid reason to ANYONE as to what she was going to do in Barbados – that is NOBODY’s business. Period. And what “CRISIS” was it anyway? LIAT was the one who overbooked. There was no medical emergency, just their plain stupid greed.

30. Ricky April 13, 2016 at 7:40 pm

Dave while I understand your argument people still should not have their rights rail-roaded, if she said no then it should be no. Given that you don’t have all the facts how can you then assume that she should have given up her seat….she has nothing IMPORTANT TO GO HOME TO?

31. Gregory. April 13, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Dave its all good what you said. But as was earlier said, Brown said no. She was asked. She said no. End of story.

32. neville hollingsworth April 13, 2016 at 9:19 pm

Dave, you are an idiot. If the airline wanted passengers to surrender their seats for compensation then they should have made an all call to inform other passengers of this.
    To single out one person and determine that their purpose for travelling was not as important or urgent as someone else violates that person rights as a passenger and the basics of good customer service.
    The counter staff needs to be retrained/trained in the basics of customer service and Ms Browne should pursue all avenues of action to get her satisfaction. Whether the action was discriminatory should not be the only point. LIAT should not be allowed to get away with this sort of backyard, my way, or no way type of behavior, but when management is lacking this is what you can expect.

33. Bajancoxy April 13, 2016 at 10:22 pm

This is a moot point. The young lady elected not to give up her seat and that was her right. Whether it was work she had to get back to, a child, or some other commitment, it was her choice. I travel regularly on business, after sleeping in hotel beds I want to go home. To judge this lady unfavorably because she wanted to travel on her ticketed itinerary is very unfair.

34. Randy Bridgeman April 13, 2016 at 10:33 pm

Dave, your last blog was spot on until you mentioned that rubbish word karma.

• Jay Mac April 14, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Dave you are making too many assumptions.

35. dave April 14, 2016 at 12:00 am

Sorry Randy !!
    Forgive me !
    Should I have said cast your bread upon the waters or what you sow you reap ?

36. Mr. Shem Prescott April 14, 2016 at 6:18 am

So what if she didn’t mention going to work Dave? As you said previously she didn’t say it…… she didn’t say anything but that doesn’t mean she didn’t have stuff to do or ppl to meet.
    You seem to be casting blame on her when it’s her right to accept or refuse to oblige.
    Those Liat representatives were out of order and something needs to be done about it.
    They lied too. How can you say that operations made a decision n when asked to speak to said ppl you say they’re not opened?
    Airlines get away with murder it’s like whatever decision they make is final and “customers” (yes that’s what we are) have no choice but to abide.
    Utter nonsense

37. islandviewfan April 14, 2016 at 7:58 am

Dave for someone who do not know all the facts you have been very judgmental of this lady for saying no. What about the facts that she is dealing with. She was asked a question and she said no. None of us have the right to challenge her…the airline representative should have looked for someone who was willing to say yes. I don’t think that anyone on the flight (this lady included) bought tickets because their trip was not important. So every passenger Ms. Brown included had a right to take the flight. So stop judging Ms. Brown…This is squarely on LIAT and their bad handling of what seems to be an overbooked flight!

38. Jacqui April 14, 2016 at 9:40 am

They should have offered to take her on a later trip and a free one way ticket to any destination in the region good for a year…a stinking voucher? They woulda had plenty of volunteers…just poor customer service all the way round…

39. Helen April 14, 2016 at 11:11 am

It is about time LIAT realises that they are providing a paid service to customers and when something goes wrong like overbooking, delays, cancellations etc, it is THEIR problem, not the customer’s problem. It may become a problem for the customers, but it is THEIR problem.
    Interesting that they ask the lady for a ‘favour’, I think the staff also believe they are granting us passengers a huge favour by flying us from point to point.
    If it were a favour they requested form the lady then a yes or no answer should be accepted, maybe some negotiation, but the final decision should be the lady’s. So the favour became an order, threat even!
    If one books a flight at a particular time, that is because it is the one most convenient for them, any changes should be by the customer, or at least in agreement with the customer. Plain, good old customer service is lacking at all levels at LIAT. Unfortunately not sure they will ever smell coffee!

40. Roselina Harris April 14, 2016 at 3:12 pm

As long as LIAT is the only airline flying between the OECS countries this is going to continue. The Caribbean governments have to grow the required balls and give license to other carriers before LIAT learns that they do no control the airspace.

41. Denille April 14, 2016 at 4:04 pm

LIAT is fully to be blamed here, they are the ones who decided to OVERBOOK their flight. …I personally will not travel on LIAT due to previous bad service as well as theft from my luggage.

42. Sage Christmas April 14, 2016 at 7:23 pm

Dave I want your pay package this month because I need to pay some bills that I can’t get pay. Can you please forget about all of your bills this month an accommodate me please. As far as I an concern this young lady paid her fare and had every right to her seat, it was up to her to say yes or no. To prove that it is a fact, that is why the agent came to her, the young decided that she will not be giving up her right to her seat. I was never stated that anyone life was at fist and need to get to a hospital some where else. It wasn’t the young lady’s false that Liat was unable to accommodate it passengers. Liat is wrong in every way possible, why should this young lady sit in an airport for six hours waiting for a plane at the expense of herself. Come on this lady isn’t in the salvation army line waiting for food stamps. This lady paid her hard earn cash and brought a ticket and like a person said above it is an agreement between her and the same Liat. That is like someone stopping me in my car and telling that they need to get by the USA embassy for 10:00am and to put out my wife so she can get there. What that have to do with me, If I want to I can choose to say I will sacrifice myself and let you go, but I do not have to do it and it does not make you a bad person. Dave you out of place here, I agree with the others.

43. Marie April 15, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Dave I am a BAJAN Not living in Bim. I was on a flight with my son from New Jersey going to florida our seating got messed up he was in a seat away from me. The flight attendant ask the man that was sitting next to my son to switch seat with me the man said no that was the end of the conversation. This other lady did switch her seat. So in regards to the lady she didn’t have to give up her seat and they had no business changing her flight time. The airline are always offering vouchers but it is your choice to take it. Why didn’t they offer her a voucher for a round trip ticket give me a break. Bottom line they had no business doing it. Dave how do you know this lady didn’t have plans???

44. Margaret April 16, 2016 at 8:00 pm

dave do you really think that we bajans are A’s. We got sense and the same way myrie came here and get away withe foolishness then i pray that Ms. Browne gets a good lawyer to represent her just like myrie