. . . as Magistrate answers son’s cry
After eight long months in prison, Nathaniel Renaldo Robinson was finally able to walk out of the District ‘A’ Magistrates Court without handcuffs and foot shackles.
Much to his relief, Robinson, who is one of four men accused of robbing Elvis Graham of $12, 335 in cash and items on June 18, 2015, was granted bail by Magistrate Douglas Frederick when he returned to court yesterday.
In an earlier bail application, his attorney Mohia M’aat had told the court that Robinson’s four-year old son was severely affected by his incarceration.
In giving evidence, the child’s mother told Frederick that Robinson had been the sole provider for his son, as she was not employed.
Furthermore, she said she had also realized a sudden change in his behaviour since Robinson’s detention.
She said she was summoned to the boy’s school just over a month ago by the principal, after he was found beating himself in the bathroom and saying that he hated himself and “wanted to see his daddy”.
She said she was forced to take him to counselling as a result.
M’aat also pointed out that one of Robinson’s co-accused had also been granted bail and he felt it would only be fair if his client was afforded the same treatment.
And while police prosecutor Station Sergeant Neville Watson strongly objected to bail, it was granted by Frederick in the amount of $10, 000.
“You have a chance to be a good father now. Sometimes people come and say all kinds of things to get people out of prison, so I don’t know if what she said is true or not.
“But you have an opportunity to play a role in your son’s life and make a difference. Whether you choose to do that or not, time will tell,” he noted.
He also ordered Robinson to report to Oistins Police Station every Wednesday by 10 a.m.