October 21, 2016 - Teenager bamboozles England Teenage off-spinner Mehedi Hasan to ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Local weed cultivation on the rise Marijuana cultivation is on the ris ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Pollard vents on his failed UAE tour PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad – Kie ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Teen faces indecency charge A St George teen who was charged in ... +++ October 21, 2016 - GAIA wage dispute resolution in sight A prolonged and sometimes bitter wa ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Combermere thrash Graydon Sealy Former champions Graydon Sealy had ... +++

Sammy knocks WICB; praises CARICOM leaders

Skipper Darren Sammy on Sunday launched a scathing attack on the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB), as the region’s side was crowned champions of Twenty20 world cricket in Kolkata.

An emotional Sammy said the players  felt “disrespected” by their own board, as he made reference to unresolved pay issues.

“People were wondering we would plays this tournament, we had issues with the board, [commentator] Mark Nicholas called us players with no brain. But all of us came together, these 15 men put adversity aside, play this type of cricket in front of such passionate fans. It was tremendous. I want to thank the coaching team, Phil Simmons,” Sammy said at the post-match presentation ceremony.

“Really happy for this win, it’s something we’ll cherish for a long time. We have a few match winners, nobody give us a chance, every game somebody stepped up – good to see Carlos play like that in his debut World Cup,” added Sammy.

“We had a new manager in this tournament in Rawle Lewis. He was doing the job for the first time. He came to Dubai and we know what he did so that we get the jerseys. We did not have the jerseys. Got to give credit to the entire team here.

“This is for all the fans in the Caribbean. Prime Minister [Dr Keith Mitchell of Grenada] send us a very inspiring message for the team.”

Sammy also took a dig at the board as he was not selected in the 50-over format.

“I don’t know when I’m going to be playing for West Indies again, I want to thank my team, thanks my coaching staff. This is for the Champions,” he said, referring to the popular Dwayne Bravo song.

Following is the full text of Sammy’s statement:

“I want to thank the Almighty, because without him nothing is possible. We have a pastor in the team in Andre Fletcher, he keeps on praying. We are a praying team. I’m really happy for this win and it’s something we are going to cherish for a long time.

I’ve said we have 15 match-winners. Nobody gave us a chance but every game somebody stepped up and took responsibility. To see Carlos [Brathwaite] play like that in his debut World Cup, it’s just tremendous. It shows the depth we have in the Caribbean in T20 cricket and hopefully with the right structure and development our cricket will continue to improve in one-day and Test cricket.

We started this journey  . . .  people were wondering whether we would play this tournament. We had a lot of issues, we felt disrespected by our board, Mark Nicholas described our team as a team with no brains. All these things before the tournament just brought this team together. I really want to thank these 15 men, the ability to just put all those adversities aside and to come out and play this type of cricket in front of such passionate fans, it’s just tremendous.

I personally also want to thank the coaching staff, coach Phil. He has been through a lot, and to come here and the way he has coached the team, he’s just brilliant. All the other coaching staff, who have done their part. We had a new manager in this tournament in Rawle Lewis, he had never managed any team before. He came here, we were at a camp in Dubai, but we had no uniforms, . . . he left Dubai, went to Kolkata, that’s where he started. The trouble he went to, to get us in this uniform . . . I got to give credit to the entire team here. It was us in our own little circle. This win, we dedicate it to all our fans in the Caribbean.

Lastly, I really want to thank the heads of CARICOM. Throughout this tournament they have been supporting the team. We’ve got emails, we’ve got phone calls, Prime Minister [Dr Keith Mitchell from Grenada],  he sent a very inspiring email for the team this morning . . . and I’m yet to hear from our own cricket board. That is very disappointing.

For today, I’m going to celebrate with these 15 men and coaching staff. I don’t know when I’m going to be playing with these guys again because we don’t get selected for one-day cricket. We don’t know when we’re going to be playing T20. So this win, I want to thank you my team, I want to thank you coaching staff . . . everybody know West Indies are champion!”

15 Responses to Sammy knocks WICB; praises CARICOM leaders

1. Ras Small
    Ras Small April 3, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Talk yah talk and keep it real. Time tah get serious bout future of cricket.

2. Troy R Stuart
    Troy R Stuart April 3, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Totally agree with you Sammy
    Dave Cameron is a pussyhole……straight

3. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce April 3, 2016 at 8:07 pm

‘Mark Nicholas called us players with no brain’ The Windies replied with the bat and stunned England nearly put wunna in a coma. Now what have you got to say Mark Nicholass?

• Coralita April 3, 2016 at 8:37 pm

Lovvveeee IT!!! Mark Nicholass!! LOL

4. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce April 3, 2016 at 8:12 pm

West Indies Cricket Board, PAY the players!

5. Elvin Brome
    Elvin Brome April 3, 2016 at 8:17 pm

Dave Cameron and the board go

6. Anita Harewood
    Anita Harewood April 3, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Bet who bet you. The W.I team felt more appreciated from the Caricom leaders than the WICB.

7. Peachesnaddy Brown
    Peachesnaddy Brown April 3, 2016 at 10:28 pm

I love you Daren Sammy!!!!

8. Sarifa Patel April 3, 2016 at 11:46 pm

It is sad when we have a WICB who has no respect either from the fans, the players and the other nations of the world. I believe that if they do have a conscience they should resign. I agree with Darren Sammy 100%.
    Congrats go to the men for in spite of all the bad treatment dished out to them they played because they are true champions.
    God will continue to bless you all. Prayer is the key. I personally want to see the end of the man Dave Cameron.

9. harry turnover April 4, 2016 at 7:31 am

Nicholas ….a group of players WITH NO BRAINS manhandled YOUR PEOPLE WITH ALL THE BRAINS for the SECOND TIME in less than a month.. write bout dat ? Do some research and try to find the reason.
    If you can’t find the reason, the REASON is this….the English got ALL the BRAINS…. on PAPER !!…. and they play their game on PAPER too.The WEST INDIANS got BRAINS where it MATTERS MOST ….IN THEIR HEADS…. and they play their cricket where it matters most…ON THE FIELD
    Cameron you and your cohorts will get MONEY from those 3 WORLD CUP victories… the honorable thing to do now is to .GIVE THEM BACK THEIR MONIES….all ya DON’T DESERVE A YEN !!

10. Hardball April 4, 2016 at 9:05 am

The last time an Englishman talked crap about a West Indies Team, they made England pay heavily.
    For those of you who have not seen Fire In Babylon, its a must see.

11. Donild Trimp April 4, 2016 at 9:05 am

Three cheers for Darren Sammy and the WI team for showing a bunch of arrogant disrespectful administrators ala Cameron and the WICB, that in spite of all adversity, they were still able to give it their all to make the whole Caribbean region happy.

From Dave Cameron’s alleged tweet, the only unhappy people in the region because of this win seems to be Dave Cameron and the WICB.

There is only one more thing left to make this an occasion that will never be forgotten.

Prime Minister Mitchell, Prime Minister Rowley and all the Honourable CARICOM heads, please act and act fast to get rid of this incompetent CEO and the WICB.

12. Donna Harewood April 4, 2016 at 11:16 am

Troy R Stuart, speaking as a woman I would say he is a PRICK.

13. lswiltshire April 4, 2016 at 5:34 pm

Speaking as a woman Is a prick a good thing or a bad thing?
    just asking