October 22, 2016 - Helping Haiti The Help Haiti Today Radiothon, has ... +++ October 22, 2016 - St James man nursing stab wounds One woman is assisting police with ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Teen remanded Eighteen-year-old Adam Harris of En ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Police probe Wildey fire Police are investigating a fire whi ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Intrigue among Barbados Pride With the start of the 2016-17 West ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Water hope Relief could soon be on the way for ... +++

‘Rogues and bullies have infiltrated legal system’

Attorney-at-law Philip Nicholls has delivered a damning indictment of the legal system here, claiming it has been infiltrated by “rogues” and “bullies” who discredit the profession.

Nicholls fell from grace in October 2013 when he was arrested on charges of money laundering and theft of $674,172.

A still bitter Nicholls, who recently released a book chronicling the events that led to his downfall, including the demise of the law firm Cottle Catford, told Barbados TODAY he now loathed the profession.

“Right now I detest the law. If I never saw another law court in my life I would not miss it,” the angry attorney vowed.

“It is one of the noble professions that came out of ancient times, but right now it is practised by one or two rogues. There are many very good lawyers and many young impressionable ones that need guidance and help [and] there are many senior lawyers who are above board. However, if you have a system that allows a couple of rogues to flourish and do what they feel like because they feel they are bullies, then it spells danger,” Nicholls told Barbados TODAY.

He described the judicial system as dysfunctional and expressed anger about his own lengthy wait for justice, saying the whole episode had left a bitter taste in his mouth.

“If I am an attorney-at-law and can encounter so much trouble, what about the average man on the street? I have endured 20 years of constant litigation and it has taken away my ability
to do other things.

“I detest what the dysfunction in the system has allowed two or three individuals to do. It is the same individuals popping up all the time. It has allowed them to make the law look like a toothless lion.”

The offences with which Nicholls was charged were said to involve a foreign real estate client. He remained adamant during the interview that he had done nothing wrong.

“I am particularly piqued about the money laundering charge. I felt the charge was completely ridiculous. Money laundering is taking ‘dirty money’ and investing it in legitimate businesses or financing terrorism. In the contract where you have had a sale of land, how can you say you have taken dirty money and made it clean? It is an above-the-board contract. How can it also be the proceeds of criminal activity? I would challenge anyone to show evidence where I have gained from any defalcations that occurred,” he insisted.

Nicholls complained that his house had been repossessed and was still miffed that “I have not had adequate protection from the local judicial system because some attorneys have continued to accuse me of money laundering”.

Having discovered that his United States visa had been cancelled when he attempted to check in for a flight at the Grantley Adams International Airport, Nicholls slammed Washington for this action, arguing that it was hypocritical to condemn him even though he had not been convicted in court.

9 Responses to ‘Rogues and bullies have infiltrated legal system’

1. Thomas Browne
    Thomas Browne April 1, 2016 at 3:40 am

This is rich from Mr Nichols after the hell that me and my family went through on the passing of my father. Many an attorney in Barbados should be in jail.

2. Lawrence Griffith
    Lawrence Griffith April 1, 2016 at 4:06 am

“He stressed that the majority of lawyers were principled and “above board”, but that a few unethical ones had left him questioning whether it was still a noble profession.”
    Well, I am going to give myself a little pat on the back. I have said many times before that the justice system is rotten. It doesn’t goes a week without I explaining to you whats really going on, and not to believe what you read.
    ” If I am an attorney-at-law and can encounter so much trouble, what about the average man on the street?” This one is spot on and it’s only now that he has been burned that he’s willing to speak out. Don’t believe him about only a few bad apples. Those other attorneys knows what is going on but instead choose to profit from it. None of them are going to put their livelihood on the line to make a difference or be a whistleblower. I told you people many times before that the justice system have the most corrupted and unethical people I have come across. Once in Barbados and 3 times in Sweden attorneys have stolen from me. I keep telling you people that don’t believe the hype. The courts are a Broadway show giving the illusion that justice exist. If you don’t know what is going on, Barbados is ranked among the most corrupted by clients getting justice against rogue attorneys.
    All these attorneys have stolen millions over the years of their clients money. But you don’t hear anything about it because the system is rigged to protect them..

3. Patrick Greenstiche April 1, 2016 at 4:24 am

….and we all know who those bullies are! Barbados is a country created by attorneys, and run by attorneys for the benefit of increasingly corrupt and senile attorneys. Like most dodgy countries.

4. The Negrocrat April 1, 2016 at 6:42 am

The Bullpistle was recommended as a solution by sleepy when he had a show on VOB.
    Maybe a few of them could do with an introduction.

5. Alex Alleyne April 1, 2016 at 10:29 am

All this only because you got caught and was put before the court. Now you know how it feel to be standing in the doc.

6. Donild Trimp April 1, 2016 at 10:45 am

I feel your pain Mr.Nicholls.

• Sunshine Sunny Shine April 1, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Did he felt the pain of others when he was enjoying the sweets? You know the saying: Hell has no fury like a wo-man scorn.

7. lennox hewitt April 2, 2016 at 12:02 am

I using me lennox hewitt as example now if i were a lawyer like him and i collect money for client i should give him or her there money its not mine so how i take there money and say i borrow it its only borrow when you ask the person to lend you some money then its borrow money but as long i did not ask i steal it so yes lennox you steal money so i money laundering but as a lawyer i should no that so yes my house deserve to get take up as i said i no lawyer i use me as example to tell him its stealing

8. Sue Donym April 2, 2016 at 9:52 am

Infiltrated? Hahahaha. A few unethical… must look for the book next time I’m browsing fiction.