WORLD – New arrest over Brussels terror attacks
Belgian police have arrested a man in a raid in the capital Brussels in connection with recent terror attacks in the city.
The man, carrying a backpack, was shot in Schaerbeek district after refusing to obey police orders, media say. Explosions were also heard.
Ten other suspects have been held in Belgium, Germany and France.
Police are trying to prevent further attacks after Tuesday’s Brussels bombings.
An investigation is continuing into the bombings, which killed 31 people and have been linked to November’s Paris attacks.
The Belgian prosecutor has named another of the suicide bombers at Brussels airport as Najim Laachraoui.
So-called Islamic State (IS) has said it carried out both sets of attacks.
An area near Schaerbeek’s Meiser square was sealed off by heavily armed police and military vehicles on Friday.
At least three explosions were reported. Bomb disposal personnel and robots were at the scene.
The operation is now said to have finished.
Schaerbeek mayor Bernard Clerfayt said a man had been arrested and shot in the leg.
Eyewitnesses reported seeing a man who had emerged from an underpass armed with a machine gun being shot in the legs by police.
A local resident, named as Marios, also described gunfire.
“I heard two very loud shots,” he told the BBC.
“Immediately within seconds police arrived… The streets were evacuated…”
Schaerbeek is one of the districts where arrests were carried out on Thursday. French police sources say the latest raid was also linked to Thursday evening’s operation in a Paris suburb during which another attack was apparently foiled.