Police probe ABC Highway accident

A 60-year-old St Michael woman suffered a broken leg after being hit by a car on the Barrow section of the ABC Highway last night.

The accident occurred at about 6:45 in the area of the roundabout near the Samuel Jackman Prescod Polytechnic.

Police say the car was driven by Garth Patterson, 54, of Fort George Heights, St Michael. The pedestrian, Delcina Mayers, of Rock Close Wildey, was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital by ambulance after she complained of pains about her body.

The area of the highway was closed temporarily while investigations were carried out. Investigations are ongoing.

19 Responses to Police probe ABC Highway accident

1. Angela Payne
    Angela Payne March 25, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Lighting on the highway is piss poor, no one maintains the conditions of the roads and who ain’t sleeping , pun strike. Find fifty million quick to celebrate but can’t fix the basic lighting on the highway. Drivers can’t see on the dam roads at night.

• Coralita March 25, 2016 at 8:01 pm

Blame the blasted drivers who have no respect for pedestrians. Who disregard every road sign, who run red lights daily, and do as they like on the roads. I am a driver and I see the so and so that drivers do on the road every day.

One morning I was at the roundabout by CIBCFCIB in Warrens. Both the driver in the right lane and myself stopped to allow a lady to cross on the pedestrian crossing. This car came from nowhere in the left lane that would take you to Jackson, almost knock down the lady and proceed to switch in my lane and went straight. I was so darn shock, I could not believe what I saw. I am sure the lady’s heart flew to her mouth.

I called the police and reported the driver. Only God knows if anything will come of it.

2. Christine Moore Gill
    Christine Moore Gill March 25, 2016 at 2:41 pm

I was stuck in the traffic last night and had to divert as road was closed… I knew it had to be something serious.

3. Angela Maria
    Angela Maria March 25, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Glad for her that it wasn’t worse. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

4. Cathy Alleyne
    Cathy Alleyne March 25, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Every morning I watch as motorists on the stretch from the Airport to Silver Hill roundabout flout the law constantly by overtaking on double yellow lines and speeding, anything goes on that Highway, Speed cameras should be installed .

5. Melissa Maxwell
    Melissa Maxwell March 25, 2016 at 3:21 pm

I am really skeptical when crossing there from school, cars see u crossing or preparing to cross and they would look u dead in the face and proceed to drive along, lighting or not these drivers aren’t thinking about the others but themselves, thank God it wasn’t worse.

6. Melissa Maxwell
    Melissa Maxwell March 25, 2016 at 3:21 pm

I am really skeptical when crossing there from school, drivers see u crossing or preparing to cross and they would look u dead in the face and proceed to drive along, lighting or not these drivers aren’t thinking about the others but themselves, thank God it wasn’t worse.

7. Ryan Williams
    Ryan Williams March 25, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Is garth Patterson the lawyer guy?

• Coralita March 25, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Was asking the same question.

8. BaJan boy March 25, 2016 at 4:53 pm

He is always speeding both he the other lawyer with the V8 Jaguar. Just a matter of time and he seem not to care about anyone. The road is his cause he is a lawyer…

• Olutoye Walrond March 26, 2016 at 2:06 pm

So is this how it’s done now: you suspect someone and then proceed to try convict and sentence him without a trial?

9. Suzanne Nurse
    Suzanne Nurse March 25, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Glad she’s alive.

10. Deborah Hunte
    Deborah Hunte March 25, 2016 at 6:05 pm

…and overtaking on the left.

11. Camilla Greaves
    Camilla Greaves March 25, 2016 at 7:31 pm

Molly

12. Rosalind Eastmond
    Rosalind Eastmond March 26, 2016 at 9:59 am

Oh No… I feel her Pain .
    Wish her Better at this Easter Time .

13. jrsmith March 26, 2016 at 10:13 am

All you need is $500 to $1000 ticket fine for drivers who break the law , speed cameras everywhere , vehicle number identification, serious enforcement if they don’t pay the fine they vehicle is booted, or taken to the ponde. how could people lay claims we have a democracy , we are Christians , we are godly, but we have become , villains , criminals breaking every law every day..
    Then the group so selfish , comes up with its happening all over the world, so its aright for us to do whatever here in Barbados..
    As a real bajan, I am so happy to see the quite change which has brought in the new year, less accidents , and mostly less murders..