News Feed

October 23, 2016 - Barbados welcomes MV Viking Star The MV Viking Star docked for the f ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Griffith wins BLP nomination in St John   Charles Griffith will repres ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Hudson Griffith withdraws from BLP nomination for St John seat     As supporters of the ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Chelsea thrash Mourinho’s United 4-0 Source: AFP- LONDON, United Kingdom ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Relief on the way, says BWA The Barbados Water Authority (BWA) ... +++ October 23, 2016 - SSA board could face legal action, Comissiong warns Outspoken social activist and attor ... +++

Abductor jailed

man accused of kidnapping wife denied bail

A man accused of kidnapping his wife was remanded to Dodds prison today when he appeared in the District ‘A’ Magistrates Court.

Forty-five–year-old shopkeeper, Ervin George Thomas of Block 6, Princess Mary Lane, The Pine, St Michael was not required to plead to the indictable charges of causing bodily harm with intent to maim, disfigure or disable Patricia Thomas, as well as unlawfully removing her from Nursery Drive, St Michael without her consent on March 21, 2016.

In objecting to bail, police prosecutor Sergeant Neville Reid told Magistrate Kristie Cuffy-Sargeant that Thomas was already on bail for a similar kidnapping charge.

He argued that while the charges were merely allegations, the strength of the evidence was “compelling” and he feared that if the accused was granted bail, there was a strong possibility he would repeat the offence.

“The victim has been placed in a safe environment and would like to return to safety, but fears she would be subjected to further harm,” Reid insisted.

Furthermore, he pointed out that both of Thomas’ victims had been involved in intimate relationships with him.

He also maintained that the injury sustained by the complainant “was done with some measure of severity”.

In her client’s defense, attorney Naomi Linton disputed the fact that the evidence was compelling, noting that the complainant had yet to give evidence.

“Freedom should not be jeopardized based on accusations which have yet been proven,” she argued.

While admitting that Thomas was facing a similar charge in the High Court, she said that case dated back to 2005.

Linton pointed out that during his 11 years on bail, her client had complied with every condition imposed and that his conduct had been “spotless”.

She told the magistrate that Thomas had a surety who was willing to sign bail for him and he was willing to accept any conditions imposed.

However, after listening to both arguments, Cuffy-Sargeant denied Thomas’ request for bail and remanded him to HMP Dodds until April 20.

One Response to Abductor jailed

  1. Ann Annie Bowen
    Ann Annie Bowen March 24, 2016 at 6:34 am

    11yrs on bail!! Lord…


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *