Another father runs afoul of the law

COURT TODAY BLOCKThe District ‘A” Magistrates Court witnessed a rare occurrence late yesterday afternoon when two St Michael fathers, in separate cases, admitted to offences against their children.

Shortly after Bentley Webster admitted to wrongfully confining his two sons by chaining them while he was away from home, Antonio Alphonsa Matthews confessed that he wilfully abandoned his two sons.

Both men appeared before Magistrate Kristie Cuffy-Sargeant.

Matthews, 35, pleaded guilty to two counts of wilfully abandoning his two children in a manner likely to cause unnecessary suffering or injury to their health, while they were in his custody.

The children are ages two and four.

Police prosecutor, Sergeant Janice Ifill, told the court that after police received a report about domestic violence, they made their way to Matthews’ Prescod Bottom, Hindsbury Road, St Michael residence.

When they arrived, lawmen saw a door wide open but Matthews was nowhere in sight. They shouted for him but got no answer. What they saw was a light inside the house which appeared to be coming from a lamp on a shelf.

The lamp was positioned close to some curtains. Both of his children were asleep on a bed in the living room at the time. Matthews arrived minutes after the officers got there.

Asked to explain his absence, the jack-hammer operator said he went to a shop to buy bread but on finding the shop closed, he went to another nearby shop instead and bought rum.

He was only away for about 25 minutes, he said.

The Child Care Board was subsequently notified and the children placed in their care.

Matthews explained to Magistrate Cuffy-Sargeant that he tried his best to look after the children since their mother left them, but was finding it difficult to do so. He also said he had no one to help him care for the young boys.

“I now realize how hard women does got it,” he confessed.

The magistrate said she believed that he genuinely cares about his sons, but went about it the wrong way. Matthews agreed with her statement.

He also apologized for his actions but said even though he loves his sons, they were probably better off in the care of the Child Care Board since things were very difficult for him at this time.

He was reprimanded and discharged.

34 Responses to Another father runs afoul of the law

1. Fay Ann
    Fay Ann March 19, 2016 at 9:58 am

🙁 i don’t like it….i don’t like it one bit….every case is different yes….but i don’t like how summuch children are now wards of the CCB….

• Hunte Omar
      Hunte Omar March 19, 2016 at 10:57 am

Because adults have lost of sense of meaning and purpose in life and and just enjoy the pleasure of sex and lack responsible behaviour.

• Fay Ann
      Fay Ann March 19, 2016 at 12:23 pm

#truth

• Mark Fenty
      Mark Fenty March 19, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Hunte Omar, I don’t think that it is fair and well founded to pass judgment regarding this man’s decision without first ascertainong his state of mind regarding his obligation to his children. Who knows whether or not this man was on his last nerve regarding his situation?

• Tha Prototype
      Tha Prototype March 19, 2016 at 3:34 pm

I rather those kids in the care of CCB and seeing them actually trying to protect them now than they ending up a bunch of looked over reports, files and dead like Jahan!

2. Hunte Omar
    Hunte Omar March 19, 2016 at 10:52 am

I found it extremely difficult to comprehend, situation of children being treated in such inhumane manner. Children are a joy and having them around enhances the family. Adults mistreating children and senior citizens are sick persons ho need psychiatric intervention. There is no a person of soud mind behaves in this manner.

3. Shelly Ross
    Shelly Ross March 19, 2016 at 11:17 am

A slap on the wrist and he is free of responsibility. Stupse!

• Mark Fenty
      Mark Fenty March 19, 2016 at 12:55 pm

The man seems sincere regarding his inability to properly support his children and if you noticed, you haven’t heard the magistrate suggest that this man go to some specific place to seek assistence for his children. Here in the US teens or women who believe that they’re unable to take care of they new born babies can leave them at the hospital door and this is perfectly legal. I am not trying to make a comparison between Barbados and the US, but Barbados has but a far way to go in its efforts to address the social concerns of the citizenry.

• Shelly Ross
      Shelly Ross March 19, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Mark Fenty Sorry does not do it MF….you intentionally left two young children to go and buy rum …bread what….he went to buy rum….and I feel sorry for him?
      Do you think this is a first time act? Why do you think someone called the authorities and they found the door wide opened?
      And no, the article does not say anything about him going any where to see assistance for the children. The children were placed in a home and he said to leave them there because things hard.
      He got a slap on his wrist for child neglect, now he can spend his little money on more rum as he does not have to care for these children.

• Mark Fenty
      Mark Fenty March 19, 2016 at 1:23 pm

As a concerned citizen, it is part of your civic duty to ensure that the safety and security of every child is protected. However, the article said little regarding what this man went to the store to obtain, and perhaps, you have gotten firsthand information as to what he bought, but it makes little difference either way because he exercised poor judgment.

• Shelly Ross
      Shelly Ross March 19, 2016 at 1:34 pm

No I do not have first hand info but I know the behaviour of rum drinkers and I know child neglect.
      I think the magistrate was too lenient as there is too much child abuse in Barbados and they eed to be sending some strong messages, but I am not seeing that.

• Mark Fenty
      Mark Fenty March 19, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Shelly Ross, not all child neglect warrants imprisonment, as a lot of people in Barbados seems to surmised. When the judicial system sends a strong message regarding neglect (which is actually the exercise of poor judgment on the part of the father), who suffers in the long run? The objective of BCCB and the Criminal Justice System in Barbados ought to be geared around keeping families together rather than to incarcerate them and waste taxpayers money.

• Shelly Ross
      Shelly Ross March 19, 2016 at 3:46 pm

Mark..what nonsense are you talking…this man did not even fight to keep the children . …he did what he did….the children are taken and he walks free…

• Shelly Ross
      Shelly Ross March 19, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Btw you are not here so stop telling me what we think when you dont even seen to understand the behaviours that are around today

• Mark Fenty
      Mark Fenty March 19, 2016 at 5:05 pm

I was responding to your comment regarding the fact that the magistrate was too lenient on this father.

What were your expectations of the magistrate regarding the father’s neglect?

Now what would it take to convince you that the father probably knew that he was incapable of caring for his childern?

Caring or not, however, you ought to interpret the father’s decision to turn his children over to the state, as nothing more than his willingness to see them have better than what he was capable of providing for them at the time.

4. Verona Brome
    Verona Brome March 19, 2016 at 11:40 am

This is wrong in every sense of the word.

Most people in the world today are struggling to make ends meet, including me, but do I give up my responsibility of caring for my child to the government.

No, I don’t, I look for ways and means to ensure that my child is provided and taken care of.

This is sending the wrong message

• Mark Fenty
      Mark Fenty March 19, 2016 at 1:10 pm

Verona Brome, I am not condoling this man’ s decision because I do not know enough about this man’s background to make a judgment regarding whether or not his decision to give guardianship of his children to the state was wrong or right. But as a mother whom have given born to a child, you ought to know that there is a deep emotional attachment that a man can’t duplicate -which a woman has towards her child?

• Verona Brome
      Verona Brome March 19, 2016 at 1:35 pm

Mark Fenty , you’re correct, but at the end of the day think about the many mothers who raise children without any assistance and your rarely hear of mothers giving up their children.

Mothers more than fathers struggle tirelessly to ensure their children are provided for.

The struggles are real

• Mark Fenty
      Mark Fenty March 19, 2016 at 1:42 pm

There are single fathers today who are also raising children without any assistences as well. I have seen numerous mothers who are addicted to drugs walking the streets of America, and the fathers have to step in and assumed the role of both parents as well.

• Verona Brome
      Verona Brome March 19, 2016 at 1:45 pm

I would say this again that in my humble opinion they are many mothers who raise children without any assistance and your rarely hear of mothers giving up their children.

• Verona Brome
      Verona Brome March 19, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Im not against what you’re saying but my point remains the same

• Mark Fenty
      Mark Fenty March 19, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Verona Brome, I know that it is not a common occurance, but it does happen. However, let me ask you this question though: if you know that you’re unable to give your child what it needs, wouldn’t you give it up if you know that it would be better off? That does not mean that you’re evading your responsibility, it means that your child would stand a better chance of making it because you cannot provide what it needs right now.

• Verona Brome
      Verona Brome March 19, 2016 at 2:01 pm

My needs are the same as my child as far as I’m concerned, food, shelter, clothing, spiritual guidance, contentment, and the list goes on.

Whether am able to provide for my child the way I’m accustom to, I still won’t give him or her up, never.

My child and I will struggle together and I’m not being selfish or mean about it, but we will face life challenges together

• Mark Fenty
      Mark Fenty March 19, 2016 at 2:14 pm

That is easier said than done, when your child has to face that pressures and embarrassment of not having and this continual pressure destroys self-esteem and self-worth.

• Verona Brome
      Verona Brome March 19, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Oh no, I really can’t and won’t agree with you here at all, nope, not today.

When we train, guide, guard and protect our child/children interest and efforts, self esteem and self worth issues are null and void.

Even though our children may fall short at times, they know how to stand peer pressure, bullying and any and every negative issues that may come their way.

We need to train our children to be confident and assertive to life pressures

• Mark Fenty
      Mark Fenty March 19, 2016 at 2:46 pm

The problem with your idealist view, is that in the adolescent stage of development, children have the tendency to value the opinion of they peers rather than they parents or guardians. And I have four children of my own, so you ought to know that I know what I am talking about.

• Verona Brome
      Verona Brome March 19, 2016 at 2:55 pm

To each his own, we all have our ways and means of training our children.

I respect that in people but I’m sure that as much as adolescent sway to their peers for acceptance at times some still remain focus on what they were taught and do what s best for their lives.

Maturity in children have a lot to do with how children react to peer pressure

5. Mark Fenty
    Mark Fenty March 19, 2016 at 11:45 am

I am quite sure we are cognizant of the fact that Barbados has yet to develop, effective and efficient services to address the: physical, psychological, emotional and financial abuse of the intellectually disable, elderly and children. The issues of abandonment, emotional abuse and neglect of elderly, hardly cross some of our minds, unless we aren’t conscious of such issues. We have also to hold people accountable for the financial abuse of the elderly- which probably occurs more often than the above concerns because of the advancement of age, and the progressive decline of memory.

6. Marilyn Cook
    Marilyn Cook March 19, 2016 at 11:57 am

How you gave up buying bread that the boys could eat and bought rum instead? I like you bad. I feel for you but try and don’t get no more children. I thank God i have my child and not none a wonna soul. Wheel chair wid a pad lock and a lamp light near curtains. Murderr muh child done dead. Two little babies and you giving up already. My son going 25 and i still have to lift him and i would NEVER DO ANYTHING TO HARM HIM.

7. Horace Boyce March 19, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Hw could u give up ur children so easily big man no kind of determination at all but u aint giving up d rum ya dead beat

8. Sharon Woolley
    Sharon Woolley March 19, 2016 at 3:10 pm

People look after cats and dogs better than these guys cared for their kids…………went out for bread and came back with rum FFS

9. Dennis Connell
    Dennis Connell March 19, 2016 at 4:13 pm

I have no problem with the state taking children if a parent cannt adequately take care of them. Regardless to how much you love your kids but still cannt provide the basic needs of those kids then whats the point. It disgusts me to see women walking the streets with a child on the hip and one being pulled along by the arm begging for something to eat and then saying yuh want yuh children wid yuh. Could you love them that much to want to see them starving each day. Thats tuff love.

10. Dennis Connell
    Dennis Connell March 19, 2016 at 4:17 pm

As for this case here. The best place for them is the CCB. The man went to buy bread but bought rum instead. Would they have that for breakfast next day.

11. Horace Boyce March 19, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Man when u got young children u gotta mek changes n sacrifices n ur life dont bring no stupidness to me