Bradshaw now a free man

DSC_1978
Peter Bradshaw speaking to reporters after being freed from HMP Dodds, where he spent more than 30 years

For the first time in over 30 years, Peter Bradshaw is a free man.

The convicted murderer exited the gates at Her Majesty’s Prison Dodds for the last time this morning just after 10 a.m., after being incarcerated since 1985 for the murder of 74-year-old plantation owner Cyril Sisnett.

Clad in a black pin-striped shirt, black pants, black shoes and clenching a black notepad and an orange washcloth, a bespectacled and dreadlocked Bradshaw was greeted by his older sister Roseta Bradshaw, along with a few family members and friends as he took his first steps of freedom.

Once a death row inmate, in a brief speech to the media, Bradshaw said he was thankful and humble to be free.

“I am humble and give God the thanks for the mercy that was shown to me,” he said.

And the man that once terrorized Barbados in the 80’s along with notorious criminals Winston Hall and David Oliver, explained that having been touched by God while in prison, he would now concentrate his efforts on helping the youth.

“It is my intention to help the youth of this country . . . but I need the assistance of the relevant officials, teachers and corporate Barbados.

“And I leave here on this note: From prisons to prayers,” he added.

Bradshaw, who will celebrate his 50th birthday on April 1, told members of the media he also had other plans, but said he would disclose that at a later date.

DSC_1999
Peter Bradshaw (right) took time to speak with his sister Roseta (left) after being released

After embracing a few friends, he quickly jumped into a white taxi and drove away.

His sister Roseta told Barbados TODAY she believed her brother would easily reintegrate into society.

She insisted that Peter was now a changed man.

“Whatever God does is well done and you guys have to understand that all that took place and is taking place is because of a sin problem. We have freedom of choice and when we make bad choices we have to face the consequences.

“But I am sure and very certain that the Lord has done something new in Peter and he is a better man today. I am positive he will be integrated back into society because God will do it and he is doing it,” she said.

113 Responses to Bradshaw now a free man

1. Alex Alleyne March 12, 2016 at 1:40 pm

Now you can run for POLITICAL OFFICE.

2. Camz Ja Jewel
    Camz Ja Jewel March 12, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Unleash him on society he has done his time that all I can say

3. Peter Gilkes
    Peter Gilkes March 12, 2016 at 1:46 pm

What a pity Mr Sisnett was not able to walk out today as well.

• Tristan John
      Tristan John March 12, 2016 at 2:13 pm

One can argue he’s in an even better place 🙂

• Andrew Headley
      Andrew Headley March 12, 2016 at 2:53 pm

and speak to reporters also

• Olivia Jordan
      Olivia Jordan March 12, 2016 at 3:38 pm

Oh please man let it go are you grave digger

Mark Fenty March 12, 2016 at 3:53 pm

Peter Gilkes what use is our penal system, if not for the purpose of rehabilitation and reformation? I am sure Peter Bradshaw story will be a lesson to some young man or woman out there, who is contemplating victimizing others.

• Mhizz Forever Bless
      Mhizz Forever Bless March 13, 2016 at 5:12 am

Shanz Best I totally agree wid U. I don’t know y society so…. stupesssss

4. Sharon Woolley
    Sharon Woolley March 12, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Shame his victim didn’t get a second chance

Mark Fenty March 12, 2016 at 2:45 pm

Sharon, where is your conscience? The man was about 18 years of age at the time he and his accomplices committed the evil act. And you know as well as I do, that at that age, he hadn’t much to work with in terms of life experience. Yes, we understand the pain and suffering of the victim’s family and friends, but would a life for a life made any difference?

• Sharon Woolley
      Sharon Woolley March 12, 2016 at 3:30 pm

@Mark My friends son was murdered in Barbados I have seen the never ending grief she feels, I have zero compassion for a murderer or rapist come to that, just why should a murderer be shown compassion ?? I sincerely hope no one close to you will ever suffer at the hands of a murderer, but I think your views would change if they did. NO ONE has the right to take away a life

Mark Fenty March 12, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Well, as a Christian man I do not believe in the death penalty, but that does not mean that I would habour some animosity for someone who takes the life of a family member of mine. But to have them put to death, that is unchristian and does not solved the pain I might have carry for the rest of my natural life.The Bible says: vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord; I will repay thee.

• Sharon Woolley
      Sharon Woolley March 12, 2016 at 4:32 pm

But LIFE in prison should mean life – not out after how ever many years, it doesn’t have to mean they hang

• Cheré Lucas
      Cheré Lucas March 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm

…and for that he paid a price. We all want people to forgive us when we have done wrong. He did wrong, was tried and found guilty and DID his time! He will have to live with what he did for the rest of his life, he does not need us judging him yet again.

• Sharon Woolley
      Sharon Woolley March 12, 2016 at 4:37 pm

Cheré Lucas and what price did his victim pay ???????

• An Drea
      An Drea March 12, 2016 at 4:51 pm

No one judging him.. simply voicing their opinions from their perspective… and I can understand where both sides are coming but unless u have been in a situation where u lost a loved one at the hands of someone’s careless decision at the time .. to see that person walk free does something to you…

5. Paul Gill
    Paul Gill March 12, 2016 at 1:59 pm

We heard from him and his family but what do the victim’s family have to say.

• An Drea
      An Drea March 12, 2016 at 4:44 pm

They said no comment .. and that is understandable…

6. Tristan John
    Tristan John March 12, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Poor guy; probably doesn’t even know what Facebook is.

7. Terry Clarke
    Terry Clarke March 12, 2016 at 2:22 pm

Please, let’s look at ourselves and know that we too have beams in our lives that need to be dealt with. This brother’s doings in 1985 was his issue then,what about the secret hidden things many of us do now?

8. Mark Fenty
    Mark Fenty March 12, 2016 at 2:22 pm

I knew Peter Bradshaw quite well because the both of us attended St. Leonard’s Boys together, and as a matter of fact, Bradshaw sat a classroom over from to me back in the day. I saw him leaving the Globe cinema back in 1986, just before he was arrested for the murder of the plantation owner, and the shooting a police office the night in question.Bradshaw in my recollection was a very quiet guy, and quite bigger than the average student in height and size.

• Tristan John
      Tristan John March 12, 2016 at 2:39 pm

You said that to say?

• Alison Branch
      Alison Branch March 12, 2016 at 2:45 pm

I guess he meant to say there but for the grace of God goes any of us. There is divinity in the worse of us and evil in the best of us.

Mark Fenty March 12, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Tristan, I said that to say that I thought of Peter Bradshaw for the three- decades I have been in the States, and did so because I remember him being a very nice guy.

• Buddy Love
      Buddy Love March 12, 2016 at 3:04 pm

I am pleased I do not live in a Country where the only people that commit crimes and are poor black.

Mark Fenty March 12, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Explain?

• Verona Brome
      Verona Brome March 12, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Alison Branch, I concur with your statement. They are many demons walking this earth who believe that they have the right to be judge and jury over other people’s lives.

We as a people need to reflect on the life we are living and have lived before we can be so quick to be so opinionated

• Annalisa Briggs
      Annalisa Briggs March 12, 2016 at 3:17 pm

You remember him being a “very nice guy”. Seriously? He’s an admitted rapist and murderer, he and his group had Barbados in a panic when they were on their crime spree, breaking into people’s houses and tying them up and terrifying them for hours.
      But you’re calling him a nice guy. Apparently so was Charles Mason and Ted Bundy.

• Annalisa Briggs
      Annalisa Briggs March 12, 2016 at 3:19 pm

So Verona Brome we should not even have a court system then, because people get judged and convicted every day. I hope you are never a victim of a crime and asking the court to “judge” and punish someone.

• Kim K Alleyne
      Kim K Alleyne March 12, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Tristan John i was wondering too!!

Mark Fenty March 12, 2016 at 4:15 pm

Peter Bradshaw, didn’t just served a 30 year sentence, and then walked out of prison. He spent sometime on death row, before his case was sent to the Privy Council.

• Verona Brome
      Verona Brome March 12, 2016 at 6:54 pm

Annalisa Briggs am not here to do judge anyone life all I’m saying is time is a healer, I have been wronged many times in this life I have been blessed with, but I forgive and try to blank out those episodes of my life that I felt I was hard done.

I’m forgiven everyday in one form or the other, thirty years for doing wrong is what Peter paid for the life he lived.

At this juncture in his life he need no reminders of that.

Mr Sisnett life could never be brought back, his family up to this day have memories of that fatal episode.

Give them the opportunity to be the ones to express how they feel at this time.

• Annalisa Briggs
      Annalisa Briggs March 12, 2016 at 8:27 pm

Actually Keana Clarke he said “I remember him being a very nice guy”. So not sure where you read the word “remembered” #readingIsFundamental.
      In any case that’s all semantics. Point is whether or not he was a “nice guy” is fundamentally irrelevant to the argument at hand. They are people who considered Hitler nice, what difference does that make?
      Why at no point had anyone said that they maybe Mr.Sisnett was a nice guy also and his family feels wronged and robbed of their father. Apparently people only care about this murderer and not the victim or his family.

• Annalisa Briggs
      Annalisa Briggs March 12, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Verona Brome when you say you’ve been wronged, do you mean that you had a family member murdered? Cause otherwise you can’t really speak on this level of forgiveness. People espouse ideologies that sound really nice on paper, but is it practised in real life?
      And let me say now I am speaking from a place of experience, my father was murdered and me letting go of anger for his murderer doesn’t mean I want to run into him at the beach enjoying the same freedoms as me. I have a daughter my father will never see. So when people spew this forgiveness rhetoric I say I hope you never have to see it from my perspective.

Mark Fenty March 12, 2016 at 9:12 pm

Annalisa Briggs, I know of people whose family members have been murdered, and these people founded it in they heart to forgive these murders. Now probably you’re not at that place as of yet, but you know as well as I do that time heals all wounds. My wife father have been murdered, and even though she hasn’t forgotten the people who have done this evil act, the emotion associated with her father’s death doesn’t bother her some 25 years later.

9. Philippa Joseph
    Philippa Joseph March 12, 2016 at 2:43 pm

Welcome to society Peter. He without sin cast the first stone.

10. Sharon Taylor
    Sharon Taylor March 12, 2016 at 2:49 pm

U have been freed into a far worse society than u left…. U may have found God but many of us know nothing of God… Watch your back, and see if you can bless up some of d ignorant yutes with the knowledge u now have…. Easy money isnt all and life is precious….. I know u r grateful that u werent hanged, because back when u were sentenced hanging was still lawful… Just stay on the path that u r now on and ignore d devil when he show up time after time, cause he will show in some form or fashion…..

11. Peter Gilkes
    Peter Gilkes March 12, 2016 at 2:58 pm

The house he entered and where the murder was committed was not the only family he and the goons terrorised, they were others like the Edghill family who were lucky to be given time to escape their home only because of the fight that a brave GSD Ella put up in taking on the attackers.

Mark Fenty March 12, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Peter Gilkes what use is our penal system if not for the purpose of rehabilitation and reformation? I am quite sure Peter Bradshaw story will be a lesson to some young man or woman out there who is contemplating some evil act .

• Nekei Ali
      Nekei Ali March 12, 2016 at 5:29 pm

I think the only lesson to be learned is that in 30 years they will walk free. Perhaps he is a change man, that’s between him and God but a lifetime sentence mean just that to the end of life. He could’ve lived his changed life behind prison walls, maybe convert the new inmates. A life was robbed viciously.

• Paige Mullin
      Paige Mullin March 12, 2016 at 8:03 pm

They were young and stupid, the man asked for forgiveness, why can’t he be forgiven, come on, forgiveness is the most powerful thing you can do, it takes the hate away from you.

• Laura AV Ellis Bowen
      Laura AV Ellis Bowen March 12, 2016 at 10:48 pm

Mark Fenty penal systems punish; they don’t rehabilitate or reform! That is up to the individual!!

• Morgan Winter
      Morgan Winter March 13, 2016 at 12:54 am

Because he is black.

Mark Fenty March 13, 2016 at 9:22 am

Laura AV Ellis Bowen, the penal system is grounded on three core principles: Apprehension, Incarceration and Rehabilitation.

Mark Fenty March 13, 2016 at 9:24 am

The criminal law is predicated on three fundamental principles. Rewards, Blame and Punishment.

12. Shonnell Ross-Reid
    Shonnell Ross-Reid March 12, 2016 at 3:06 pm

If you doubt for one second that God has the power to change this man then you are doubting the work Jesus did on the cross.

13. Mark Fenty
    Mark Fenty March 12, 2016 at 3:15 pm

There is actually a documentary on Utube, in which Peter Bradshaw spoke candidly about his regret regarding what he has done. And how many decades behind bars, as well as being on death row has made him a changed man.

• Sharon Woolley
      Sharon Woolley March 12, 2016 at 3:32 pm

That must have been from the “prisons around the world ” series from the UK, I remember seeing him on that

Mark Fenty March 12, 2016 at 3:33 pm

yes …it was because a British guy was the host of the series.

14. Mark Fenty
    Mark Fenty March 12, 2016 at 3:27 pm

Annalisa Briggs, I never knew what the man was capable of back in the day. All I knew of the man during our school days, is that he said little and kept to himself.

15. Mark Fenty
    Mark Fenty March 12, 2016 at 3:29 pm

Annalisa Briggs, you have also to blame the social conditions which contributed in some small way to help shaped who Peter Bradshaw had become.

Mark Fenty March 12, 2016 at 6:54 pm

Angela Maria, apparently, you have been reading the Bible lately because Jesus coming changed the eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth law. Jesus coming brought with it the dispensation of Grace, if you do not know.

Mark Fenty March 12, 2016 at 6:57 pm

Angela Maria, what would Jesus do in this case? You have to separate emotion from reason in order to arrive at the correct conclusion.

16. Ria Cassandra
    Ria Cassandra March 12, 2016 at 4:19 pm

We all make bad choices in our lives and we all look up to one person or the other for forgiveness and mercy, be it God, a mate, a friend etc.. and we expect them to forgive us. None is good but God. But I find most bajans are so bitter and unforgiving that it sickens! We all deserve a second chance; we all deserve forgiveness and compassion. I do hold in mind the family of the deceased but please stop knocking this man now, He has paid dues only God knows the hell he lived in for 30 yrs. I thank God that Jesus found him!

17. Rodney Hinds
    Rodney Hinds March 12, 2016 at 5:34 pm

I wonder if people have any feelings for the family that get hurt not only the criminals have feelings

18. Veronica A. Piggott
    Veronica A. Piggott March 12, 2016 at 5:56 pm

He was in prison and look how many Halls, Olivers and Bradshaws there were

19. cudjoe30@hotmail.com mccollin March 12, 2016 at 6:03 pm

A man is just a man… he did his time for the crime, and as the guy said his word should have some kind of affect on some the youth…

20. Sharon Felix
    Sharon Felix March 12, 2016 at 7:03 pm

He have paid for him crime get over it I believe in second chance get over it and let the man live his live the people in the Caribbean is to judgemental

21. Jamie Brown
    Jamie Brown March 12, 2016 at 7:21 pm

IF ANYONE CAN DETOUR CHILDREN FROM A LIFE OF CRIME I’M SURE A LOT OF KIDS WILL LISTEN TO HIM. HAVE YOU EVER SCENE THE SHOW SCARED STRAIGHT WHERE THEY TAKE CHILDREN TO PRISON FOR AN ENTIRE DAY SO THEY CAN SEE THE REALITY? A LOT OF THEM END UP STAYING OUT OF TROUBLE AND RAISING THEIR GRADES. MOVIES AND T.V. MAKE SOME YOUTH THINK PRISON IS NOTHING. HE COULD DO GANG INTERVENTION. IF GOD CAN USE SAUL, JEZEBEL, KING DAVID…. HE CAN USE ANYONE.

• Jamie Brown
      Jamie Brown March 12, 2016 at 11:02 pm

?

• Jamie Brown
      Jamie Brown March 12, 2016 at 11:03 pm

THAT’S NOT HIS NAME. DETOUR – MEANS TO GIVE AN ALTERNATIVE WAY OR ROUTE.

• Jamie Brown
      Jamie Brown March 12, 2016 at 11:06 pm

DETOUR ALSO MEANS TO AVOID SOMETHING.

22. Kobie Broomes
    Kobie Broomes March 12, 2016 at 7:23 pm

Amber Small.. I remember our conversation with him

23. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce March 12, 2016 at 7:32 pm
  24. Peachesnaddy Brown
    Peachesnaddy Brown March 12, 2016 at 8:27 pm

More an more am learning that its ok to murder in Barbados kmdt

25. Suzette Hinds
    Suzette Hinds March 12, 2016 at 8:33 pm

So so happy for u keep focus

26. Suzette Hinds
    Suzette Hinds March 12, 2016 at 8:33 pm

So so glad for u keep focus

27. Jahlisa Diamond
    Jahlisa Diamond March 12, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Now that you are free put everything behind you and praise the Father

28. Genavease Taylor
    Genavease Taylor March 12, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Living is about loving and loving is about forgiveness …some people make mistakes and recover from them and some people don’ t

29. Dwayne Phillips
    Dwayne Phillips March 12, 2016 at 9:28 pm

I’M JUST HERE TO READ THE COMMENTS.

30. Mark Fenty
    Mark Fenty March 12, 2016 at 9:48 pm

If you wish to see the Peter Bradshaw interview on Utube, just type in Prison Life in Barbados.

31. Lisa Yarde
    Lisa Yarde March 12, 2016 at 10:12 pm

Forgiveness is there for everyone.Only God can judge you .keep the faith

32. TRUFUL March 12, 2016 at 10:19 pm

Take good care of yourself and spend the balance of you productively.We must learn how to forgive.PETER YOU HAVE LOST 30 YEARS SO make the best use of the future.

33. Thanatos March 12, 2016 at 11:05 pm

“I…give God thanks for the mercy that was shown to me.” All well and good, but it’s a pity that he didn’t show mercy to Cyril Sisnett. And not a word of apology to Sisnett’s family for the trauma that he visited upon them.

34. Petunia March 13, 2016 at 12:11 am

Christianity is about forgiveness. You can do whatever you like, to whom you like, for as long as you like and God forgives, so we must forgive as well.

Prison and old age turn criminals into Christians and suddenly they want to mentor. But Christianity is about forgiving, so we must forgive.

35. Triznane March 13, 2016 at 3:45 am

Bajan society smho! The man is free that’s it! Bajan gotta stop lookn dwn on ppl

36. Alicia Thornhill
    Alicia Thornhill March 13, 2016 at 3:55 am

No matter how much time you spent incarcerated it will never be enough for that family but you did your time and your family has also paid the Dept of you being away from them for 30 years. You said you’ve found God keep serving him and keep your head up I wish you all the best in times to come and to your family members, please don’t give up on him we all make mistakes

37. Mhizz Forever Bless
    Mhizz Forever Bless March 13, 2016 at 5:13 am

So wait how U know God ain’t forgive him?

38. Mhizz Forever Bless
    Mhizz Forever Bless March 13, 2016 at 5:20 am

D one that talking bout God ain’t going to forgive him, father lord forgive him / her for they don’t know U are Wht U stand for. I will definitely pray for the individual and the others that have negative in them today.

39. jrsmith March 13, 2016 at 5:52 am

@ , Alex Alleyne, hail, hail, on the button I am with you on this matter.. A lion, is a lion, is a lion, don’t mater how long he is caged ,still a lion…
    It always makes me mad, criminals go out commit they crimes, they hide from the police, this was a bad boy he never though of God when he was free, but he was caught and God show mercy to him. what about the family of the man he murdered, I wouldn’t want to be within ten feet of this guy..he is a murderer..

I have a friend, living not too far from me, his father was murdered , in Barbados long time ago bajans remember ( Holford Johnson ) and his father’s death still haunts him..

40. Sean adams March 13, 2016 at 7:19 am

He who is without sin pelt d first stone…..an get sum shots ..go on living wunna lives an stop checking on people own !

41. Naddy Geneva
    Naddy Geneva March 13, 2016 at 7:48 am

You can change and inspire!

42. Rev. H. Malcolm A. Gibbs-Taitt March 13, 2016 at 9:06 am

There are, at least two (2) people to consider here: the person who died at the act(s) of the murderer(s) and the murder(s).
    The murdered person is not here to shed light on anything.
    He has left a family, who will forever mourn his passing, even if they forgive.
    My perspective, if I have one in the circumstances, is that I am totally against anyone taking a life; whether it be a person like Mr. Bradshaw or the State. No one who cannot replace a life he has taken, should not, therefore, take a life. I am firm on this.
    That is why I am of the view that anyone who takes a life should spend the remainder of his own life in a confined prison; he should only be allowed out when “Two Sons” do the honours. This is not because I have no compassion, it is because this is my way of appeasing the State killing anyone.
    Under our system, Mr. Bradshaw has served his time and should be allowed to be the person he is now. Let us stop any other notions.
    Blessings.
    Rev. H. Malcolm A. Gibbs-Taitt.

• Donild Trimp March 13, 2016 at 11:42 am

Rev H, what makes your opinion right and the State’s authority wrong when it comes to the death penalty?

The world is full of people with differing opinions and beliefs.

The argument for and against the death penalty for taking another person’s life is a deep philosophical one that requires rational thought, logic and common sense. It cannot be settled here.

The circumstances under which a person takes the life of another human being determines my outlook on whether that person should be permanently eliminated from this earth or whether he or she should be forgiven and allowed to have a second chance.

The circumstances of this particular case leads me towards permanent elimination of the perpetrator, no second chance here.

Bleeding hearts will always find an excuse for 18 and 19 year olds who commit murder and other egregious crimes.

Scum of the earth. That is how I see it.

I have no sympathy for anyone who who takes the life of another human being under the circumstances

43. Tishani Springer
    Tishani Springer March 13, 2016 at 9:19 am

But I thought it was, come to God and ask for forgiveness and. It shall be given.

44. tyrone March 13, 2016 at 9:29 am

Well, Winston hall died and he did not kill sisnett..Peter’s freedom could very well send to wrong message to the youth…not only did he kill a man he had all Barbados on lockdown he and he friends…his death sentence was commuted to life imprisonment so how could he walk free now …yet another family the system fail.

45. Donna March 13, 2016 at 10:30 am

Mark you said the right thing. People in society needs to put God first in everything they do. Yes he committed murder, it’s a sin, but haven’t we all committed sins and continue to do so everyday, in God’s sight they is no big sin or little sin. The bible said the wages of sin is death, not some sin All, but not man using death as punishment but God. He committed a terrible sin, at a young impressionable age, he said he has turned his life to God, God is just to forgive us of all our sins if we truly repent and give our lives to him. So please let us not carry on the torch of not forgiving, because with unforgiveness and hated in our hearts, we cannot see the kingdom of God , and Mr.Bradshaw committed a crime and who knows if he continues in his God fearing ways, will see the kingdom of God and not he whom criticized him. So as a people find ways to love, show love, and forgiveness to others. God loves us all. For God so love the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him shall perish but have everlasting life.

46. Sunshine Sunny Shine March 13, 2016 at 11:09 am

Where are our bajan movie makers?

47. Joy Sugar-sugar Cox
    Joy Sugar-sugar Cox March 13, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Look the past is the past. Praise Jah you have life b Sn let the bajan keep talking they can’t help it’s how they live. You did the crime r not WE WERE NOT THERE. .. you did the time WE WERE NOT THERE TO SUFFER TRU IT WITH YOU. live life an b happy 4get ppl an talk

48. hitemuppimpin March 13, 2016 at 4:57 pm

D boss home an y’all mad?

49. THE REAL March 14, 2016 at 1:25 pm

SHARON WOOLEY STOP IT…THERE IS FORGIVENESS FOR EVERYONE ..AFTER 30 YEARS DONT U FEEL THAT HE SHOULD BE GIVEN A SECOND CHANCE ..WE CANT CHANGE THE PAST…ARE U GOD????HES FREE WHO CARES WHAT U FEEL…PPL LIKE U DONT ALLOW CHANGE ..ITS SAD