GUYANA – Robber shot dead by victim

GEORGETOWN –– A faulty firearm cost a bandit his life early yesterday when he tried to rob two siblings at Second Street, Campbellville, Georgetown, in the vicinity of Club Monaco.

 Isaiah Lennox Marques
Isaiah Lennox Marques

Isaiah Lennox Marques, 21, of Lot 346 “C” Field Sophia, was shot dead by his victim, a security guard, around 2 a.m.

He was pronounced dead at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) after he sustained a gunshot wound to the head.

The police said that the victim, who is attached to a private security company, and his sister were walking along Second Street, Campbellville, when they were held up by a man armed with a firearm.

According to information, the victims resisted and the armed man pulled the trigger of his firearm but the weapon snapped, giving the victim a chance to save the life of his sister and himself.

Kaieteur News understands that the security guard grabbed his gun and fired a shot at the suspect, killing him on the spot.

The dead bandit was released from prison three weeks ago after serving a jail sentence for a break and enter and larceny.

Crime chief Wendell Blanhum confirmed that the 21-year-old suspect was known to the police.

He said that based on preliminary investigation, Marques attempted to rob an individual, who was in possession of a licensed firearm and in the process, he [Marques] attempted to shoot at the security guard’s sister but the weapon did not go off.

“The licensed firearm holder drew his weapon and fatally shot Marques,” Blanhum revealed.

Meanwhile, at the dead man’s home yesterday, his father Paul Smith said he received the news of his son’s death at 3 a.m. yesterday.

“One of his close friends called me and say that Isaiah was shot and he was lying in front of Club Monaco,” Smith said.

The house where the bandit Isaiah Lennox Marques resided.
The house where the bandit Isaiah Lennox Marques resided.

He added that he immediately went and informed his daughters. Then he begged a neighbour to give him a drop to the hospital, where he was informed, his son’s body was taken.

According to the father, he was informed that his son was killed during an argument with the shooter.

“The police did not disclose anything, but I asked if they arrested the individual and they say they got him in custody and they got his firearm.”

While Smith confirmed that his son did jail time, he said that it was only after he was caught with marijuana.

He said that the last time he saw his son was around 4 p.m. on Sunday when they sat on their verandah and were making jokes at each other.

According to relatives, the dead bandit left home after 8:30 p.m. on Sunday to go and lime on the seawalls.

Smith said that his son did construction work with him and was supposed to report for duty yesterday morning.

Investigations are ongoing.

Source: (Kaieteur News)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *