DOMINICA – New homes for nine families
ROSEAU –– Nine families have entered their new homes in San Sauveur.
Johnson Drigo, parliamentary representative for the area, took GIS News to the new housing settlement on Thursday.
A landslide in San Sauveur claimed the lives of three residents in 2010 and since then Drigo’s objective turned to providing safer housing for residents in conditions deemed unstable, more so after Tropical Storm Erika.
“I am happy to report that nine families who were affected by the disaster are in their houses today and they are extremely happy. I am also happy because this is one of the projects on which I was involved from inception and I am happy with it –– its completion and the quality of work,” he told GIS News.
“The contractors employed quite a number of young people who were being trained on the job. This project was very significant for the people of the San Sauveur, Petite Soufriere, Good Hope area.”
A tenth family will move in after work on their new home is finished.
But those who are already settled say they can certainly sleep better at nights.
Moses Nicholls, who was affected by the disasters, said: “I feel a lot better now that I can sleep. I could hardly sleep. During the day I was frightened and night time I couldn’t sleep; I used to be out of the house so many times at night during bad weather. I must say praise God and Mr Drigo for their good works.
“I pray that God would help and protect [the government] so it could continue doing what it can for the people of Dominica.”
This young man lost three members of his family in the 2010 disaster. He and his brother will live in this new home and he is extremely grateful.
“My mother, my brother and son perished in the landslide in San Sauveur and government decided to put us in a safe place. Johnson Drigo worked hard and he always told me to be patient. Now I’m just telling him to keep doing good,” Baptiste Stoute, another affected person, said.
The only requirement from these new homeowners is to keep their environment clean and establish backyard gardens.
Martina Warrington and many of the other residents have already begun doing just that.
“I am very happy to be here and I am very comfortable. Thanks to government and Mr Drigo. Praise God for everything,” Warrington said.
Edith Coipel added: “I was under rent for three years and nine months . . . and it was very hard for me. Anyway, I did it with the help of God. He helped me. Now I am comfortable and I am home. God bless our Government and all those who provided.”
Each structure costs approximately $110,000.
The San Sauveur Housing Relocation Project commenced in October, 2014, and was completed in April, 2015.
The project was a gift from the government of China.