Blackbirds beaten

Wales knock UWI from top of the table

Jadai Clarke was like a rash all over the UWI Blackbirds last night as action in the Digicel-sponsored Barbados Football Association’s Premier League continued at the Wildey, St Michael Astroturf.

Clarke scored both goals as Weymouth Wales defeated UWI Blackbirds 2-0 and simultaneously knocked them from their perch as table leaders in the competition. UWI topped the standings for five straight weeks, but Wales have brought that reign to at least a temporary end.

Raman Miller of University of the West Indies Blackbirds tries to keep his composure and the ball in his possession as Weymouth Wales goal scorer Jadai Clarke challenges.
Raman Miller of University of the West Indies Blackbirds tries to keep his composure and the ball in his possession as Weymouth Wales goal scorer Jadai Clarke challenges.

With the scores locked at 0-0 after half-time, fans were growing restless as there were few opportunities being created. However, Clarke would make the breakthough in the 68th minute with a close range goal off a corner delivery from Kemar Headley. Clarke would secure another goal in the 90th minute to secure the win for Wales. UWI are now in second place.

In the first game of the night, Direct TV Paradise failed in their bid to move up a place on the table after they drew with Mackeson Brittons Hill 1-1. Brittons Hill took the lead in the 9th minute when Terrence Coppin scored. Paradise were not daunted and responded just before half time in the 43rd minute with Elijah Downey’s fourth goal of the season. Brittons Hill failed to convert other opportunities and had to settle for one point.

Sunday’s curtain closer Rendezvous versus Belfield saw Belfield losing 3-2 to remain in the relegation zone. Rendezvous turned on the heat early, when Shandel Samuel opened the scoring in the 9th minute. Belfield then put themselves further under the fire when Christopher Forde put the ball into his own net in the 25th minute, after a dangerous cross from Carl Joseph.  Carl Joseph then put Rendezvous at a 3-0 advantage at half time, when in the 36th minute, he slotted one home.

Belfield returned after half time with greater urgency. Five minutes after the restart, Belfield were awarded a penalty which Alvin Chapman blasted high into the left side of the net. Rendezvous lost  Jermaine Ceasar for a dangerous tackle and Chapman netted another goal two minutes later. Rashida Williams then found himself back in the dressing room after his second infraction for the night. Rendezvous were now down two players, but Belfield failed to capitalise on this.

In Saturday’s games, the Barbados Defence Force Sports Programme recaptured the position of table leader in their quest to retain the premiership title. They defeated Empire 4-1 in the opening game of the evening. Mario Williams took the lead for BDF in the 2nd minute. Jamal Alleyne added more pressure in the 22nd minute when he scored another goal, giving BDFSP a comfortable lead. Shaquille Boyce then netted twice in the 33rd and 75th minutes. Romeil Felix mustered a consolation reply in the dying minutes of the game for Empire.

In the final game on Saturday, Lumisol Technology Inc Pinelands finally got off the mark with a draw with Claytons Kola Tonic Notre Dame. Pinelands desperate for a win, showed some guts last week during their encounter with Rendezvous and the same was shown on Saturday night. Dames also eager for a win to keep their supporters happy, but both teams will settle for sharing the points.

Locked at 0-0 after half time, Lumisol Technology Pinelands found an opening off a free kick from Dario Wilson, who found the head of Arantees Lawrence and into the net in the 65th minute. Notre Dame responded in the dying minutes when Zico Edmee would also score a header in the 90th minute.

Source: (BFA)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *