Priest wants mandatory training for parents

The inability of some parents to properly discipline their children has prompted calls for specialized training programmes to be made available to them.

The suggestion was made during a panel discussion held at UN House, entitled ‘Perspectives on Positive Disciplinary Practices in Schools and Christian Doctrine’.

In recommending the initiative to the panel of Peter Wickham, Faith Marshall-Harris and Reverends John Rogers and Kenroy Burke, Reverend Lemuel Rawlins of Faith Temple Ministries International said he believed it was the right approach to tackle the growing levels of indiscipline among the island’s young people.

He argued that it should be mandatory for expecting parents to attend these classes.

“If I was Minister of Health for a day, I would make it mandatory that when these young girls or even older ones come to the polyclinics, that it would be mandatory for them to have parent classes, not by themselves, but with the guy who impregnated them.

Reverend Lemuel Rawlins
Reverend Lemuel Rawlins

“Because we have a society where parents do not know how to parent and that is a problem, because the real problem is the parents and not the children,” Rawlins argued.

“When you know how to parent a child, you know the emphasis is on disciplining the child and I am one who supports the whole battery of things that can be done to discipline a child; not to beat the child, or not to punish the child, because the role of the parent is not really to punish the child, it is to guide that child, bring discipline and bring training to the child.”

Rogers, the rector of the St George Parish Church and Rural Dean of St John, also agreed with the idea.

He said a similar initiative had already been started at his church and they had seen positive results.

“Actually one of the things we have started at church now is called Parent Support Ministry because I recognize we can talk as much as we like about how bad society is, but if we don’t assist parents in dealing with the challenges that they are facing with their children, we will be as much a problem as they are,” he told Barbados TODAY.

“I think the training with parents is essential.”

Rogers acknowledged, though, that because of the diverse cultures in Barbados, it would be challenging to implement a blanket project.

“How we are going to go about it, and what programmes we are going to use is going to be a bit challenging, because it also has to do with the fact that we are not a homogenous society.

“We are different ethnicities, different backgrounds, different social backgrounds, so we will have to devise a value system that will fit the entire gamut of who society is and I think that will take a long time and a lot of effort,” he admitted.

28 Responses to Priest wants mandatory training for parents

1. Cynthia Blackman
    Cynthia Blackman February 26, 2016 at 7:40 am

I have been saying that for a long time. The different agencies HAVE to know the CULTURES of the various NATIONALITIES. We all have different methods of doing our corrections. SOME TALK and some ABUSE Once you have investigated you should know instead of wasting the TAX PAYERS money ‘ Some you do not hear a sound coming from them and these are the ones getting the abuse and need help ..

2. Nikolaos Yarde
    Nikolaos Yarde February 26, 2016 at 7:48 am

Um if u agree with this u are just retarded

3. Winston Gittens
    Winston Gittens February 26, 2016 at 7:58 am

100% agree

4. Lucinda Katrina McSinister
    Lucinda Katrina McSinister February 26, 2016 at 8:40 am

Leave it to these hypocrites to cast the first stone. Come off the blame! The family as an institution is more functional than your bogus religion.

5. Shaneza Sharmila Bacchus
    Shaneza Sharmila Bacchus February 26, 2016 at 9:23 am

I don’t even know where to begin with this lunacy.

6. Alex Alleyne February 26, 2016 at 9:27 am

Most of the time its when ” children having children” . I do remember being at a discussion on ‘teenage pregnancies” and the point was made “its because of the young girl having a baby in one hand and a tampon in the other and don’t know what to do with either”.

7. Candice Elenor
    Candice Elenor February 26, 2016 at 9:40 am

So now every body gotta tek d blame for all of these idiots…Priest talk with sum sense..train sum of ya church men too cos dem is d ones corrupting the youth

8. Arte Maria Benn
    Arte Maria Benn February 26, 2016 at 10:00 am

ambitious… so parents will be trained according to how HE thinks good parenting should go?

no, sorry, not in this lifetime.

• Mrs R February 26, 2016 at 9:38 pm

That man you are speaking of is my father. And he has raised three successful adults who have families of their own. He has a right to speak because he is an excellent father. And nowhere in this script do I see him dictating what the training should consist of. You are just here to complain and argue. There is validity in what he says. Children do not come with a manual. People train for occupations all the time, why wouldn’t someone who loves their child want help with how to mold them, not into Christians, but into productive members of society?

9. Sue Rose
    Sue Rose February 26, 2016 at 11:03 am

this is something that I was waiting on the ministry to implement, this should be included as part of school curriculum. Parenting skills Too many children in Barbados are being abused and neglected. We have to implement systems to eliminate the deficiencies of our country.

• Arte Maria Benn
      Arte Maria Benn February 26, 2016 at 1:02 pm

no. the schools CANNOT teach parenting skills.

that is what PARENTS and FAMILIES are there for.

• Sue Rose
      Sue Rose February 26, 2016 at 1:09 pm

lol ok, well apparently you do not understand the definition of education. nor do you understand the responsibility of Governments to their citizens.do you know that 1 in ever 4 children are subjected to abuse in Barbados. the parents and families are in need of serious help. anyhow you are entitle to your opinion but i doubt you opinion has any solution on how then to handle the level of child abuse in Barbados.

• Shameeka Mayers
      Shameeka Mayers February 26, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Good point Sue cause a lot of homes lacking hugely.

• Angela Maria
      Angela Maria February 26, 2016 at 3:26 pm

We already teach the skills needed to create good parents. What people need to do is APPLY them when they become adults.
      The skills I refer to are LIFE skills such as:
      How to be responsible citizens
      Good interpersonal skills
      The spirit of cooperation and unity
      The importance of communication
      The role and responsibilities of the family and of family members
      Challenges that families face and how to best weather them
      Social agencies that assist families
      Rights and responsibilities of the child
      Puberty and adolescence
      Safety in the home, school, community
      Personal safety
      Use and abuse of drugs
      Disease prevention and control
      Coping with loss
      Reapect, good manners and self control
      Self awareness and self esteem
      Decision making
      Problem solving
      critical thinking
      Prejudice and its negative impact
      Perceptions and judgement
      Brotherly love
      Respect for elders and authority
      Honesty
      Dignity of work
      Patience
      Loyalty
      Love
      Pride
      Conflict resolution
      Sex education
      ALL OF THE ABOVE are taught, most of them year after year, from age 4 to age 16.
      The GOVERNMENT has made all the above concepts part of our national curriculum.
      So you know what I think? You know how I does sum up the reason why some people grow into the types that fail as parents? With this good, old Bajan adage: YUH CUH TEK A COW TO WATER BUT YUH CAN’T MEK IT DRINK.

• Sue Rose
      Sue Rose February 26, 2016 at 3:29 pm

at which school are these taught?? please enlighten us, school teach cxc requirements. It is obvious you do not have a clue about what is going on in this country.

• Mark Cambridge
      Mark Cambridge February 26, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Angela Maria and after applying all these skills over a period of time and these kids wake up one morning posessed wid a bunch of belligerent demons and this training get throw out through the window what happens next.

10. Sue Donym February 26, 2016 at 12:33 pm

And who’s going to do the classes? We know many reverend doctors and apostles are far too busy with their theology of prosperity, building the dynasty to ensure succession (spouse, children) and construction on their tributes to the generosity of the gullible.

Where can members of the clergy sign up for mandatory training on ‘Leffing de People Girl Children’ and ‘How to Resist Being a Filthy Fornicator’ or ‘Nearer My God to Thee’

11. Shameeka Mayers
    Shameeka Mayers February 26, 2016 at 1:39 pm

I think a little of it is taught in social studies to primary school age but only very basic stuff.

12. Sydonette Dennie
    Sydonette Dennie February 26, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Pretty interesting

13. Sydonette Dennie
    Sydonette Dennie February 26, 2016 at 1:55 pm

It is good to see the church tapping into its proactive powers and i guess that this aspect of the church was a bit dormant. The church is telling me that it wants to be the church and this is a good thing. the question comes to mind is there a blueprint for parenting??? The church is full of energies and it is a good thing that we are seeing that sort of energy being channel in the right direction.

14. Rupert Greaves February 26, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Nay-sayers, this is the idea of responsible and caring citizens and you don’t like it because you don’t understand what is being said, and because of that, we are faced with this problem. People having children and then after the baby is born saying to the child “brek fuh yuself, I’ve done my part” simply because you don’t know what do after, as far as proper training and discipline are concerned. Now I want to ask all of you to do me a favour. Just put your heads together and come up with ONE (1) simple solution on how to bring up a child in the way that he/she should go, so that when he/she is old he will not depart from it. If you think that raising a child means bringing it from 3ft 4ins to 5ft you are from another world.

15. Ken R. Smith
    Ken R. Smith February 26, 2016 at 4:31 pm

Them too want mandatory training, the godly pastor needs to address the terror of child abuse within the church.

• Mrs R February 26, 2016 at 9:42 pm

That Godly Pastor is my father. So I suggest you watch your mouth sir. I will verbally rip you to pieces for him. He has nothing to do with child abuse in the church. So why would he have to answer to it? Now do you have something intelligent to say, or will you continue to spew drivel? Bitter nasty people like you amaze me

16. jrsmith February 26, 2016 at 4:33 pm

Bajans must blame ourselves , decade after decade , we have lost our culture we have lost our self worth, we have given away our heritage , we have allowed foreign corporates to hold the balance of social and economic power over us , by bringing some jobs as they see fit and setting Barbados up for the taking , but not by bajans..

Our down fall because we cast a vote mostly for the political party , we think we are safe with , we refuse to take responsibility for any part of our lifes ,leaving it up to them ,marriages failing , homes in turmoil, kids running away from they homes day after day and they parents as though they are hypnotize, because of being told how middleclass we have all become .
    Barbados our Barbados we were an island who countries 100 times the size of us would take time from , we use to punch above our weight , I was proud to know the world envy us as to the fact we were called (LITTLE ENGLAND) we must combine (Slavery , Religions and the Bible) which has taken our culture and heritage ,and dividing our societies allow our politiacns to treat us as like second class citizens..

We are lost we are loosing our way of life, we have no real persons to complain to, we have no one to listen, all we see and hear is people who think they are so educated, and trying to teach us how to count one to five, when we all can still count one to 100. Bajans we need our country back..

17. Zan February 26, 2016 at 9:36 pm

As the progeny of the one who said it should be mandatory I suggest that all consider that before one must drive. There is mandatory training because lives are at stake. Before one can practice medicine, there is mandatory training, because lives are at stake, before one can practice teaching, there is mandatory training because lives are at stake. He understands the precious beautiful potential of a child. He understands the greatness to which every child is born. My daddy. ALWAYS HAS FIVEN ME WINGS and there I would argue is no better parent alive or dead than he and my mother. Why? Because they loved me. They cheered for me. They fought for me and when my defiant middle child self needed it they did not spare the rod and never once did it cross my mind, or my siblings minds that we are not their favourites. I remember them actively seeking out books on raising children. They studied and researched and took what was sound and left the rest. Above all they consulted the bible and for that I am grateful. I am now raising my own tribe and I consult with them copiously. Why? Because I love my tribe too much to release them into the world untrained and ill prepared and I have never done this before. Raising children takes skill and skill is born of training. Why then is it a problem to give classes so the next generation makes Barbodos proud? Are we so willing to be contentious that we hang a noose around the babies’ necks because no one can tell us how to raise our children? God help and protect those unfortunate babies who are victim to that kind of pride.

18. Carlos February 26, 2016 at 9:40 pm

Are these people for real! LOL! Are they going to take away the children from those who do not obtain the mandatory training?

Only in Bim you say! LOL!

19. Zan February 27, 2016 at 7:24 am

As the progeny of the one who said it should be mandatory I suggest that all consider that before one must drive. There is mandatory training because lives are at stake. Before one can practice medicine, there is mandatory training, because lives are at stake, before one can practice teaching, there is mandatory training because lives are at stake. He understands the precious beautiful potential of a child. He understands the greatness to which every child is born. He understands that their lives are at stake. My daddy ALWAYS HAS GIVEN ME WINGS and there, I would argue, is no better parent alive or dead than he and my mother. Why? Because they loved me. They cheered for me. They fought for me and when my defiant middle child self needed it they did not spare the rod and never once did it cross my mind, or my siblings minds that we are not their favourites. I remember them actively seeking out books on raising children. They studied and researched and took what was sound and left the rest. Above all they consulted the bible and for that I am grateful. I am now raising my own tribe and I consult with them copiously. Why? Because I love my tribe too much to release them into the world untrained and ill prepared and I have never done this before. Their lives are at stake. Raising children takes skill and skill is born of training. Why then is it a problem to give classes so the next generation makes Barbodos proud? Are we so willing to be contentious and cynical and down right nasty that we hang a noose around the babies’ necks because no one can tell us how to raise our children? God help and protect those unfortunate babies who are victim to that kind of pride. Their lives, and every generation behind them, their lives are at stake.

20. Sunshine Sunny Shine February 27, 2016 at 1:23 pm

The problem of bad parenting is not a fix that can be achieved by suggesting mandatory training. Poor parenting is a cycle and is dependent upon a person’s state of mind, finances, housing situation and living conditions. Training is just one aspect of tackling the problem. If you had suggested that an island wide evaluation of home environments be undertaken to ascertain causes leading to behavioural issues that lend to good and bad parentin skills, then a case to effect training to those households that need it the most could be executed. The level of a persons educational development also plays a role in attaining a correct mindset towards good parenting. The problem that Barbados faces now is a social problem that was allowed to grow into the monster that it is today. To combat it, schools, the church, social institutions and the community must be thought from kindergarden riight through what constitutes a good citizen in order to equip persons of the next generation how to handle conflicts in the home environment and beyond.