News Feed

October 27, 2016 - United win Manchester derby Juan Mata struck to win a tight Man ... +++ October 27, 2016 - IAAF wants Bolt’s services KINGSTON, Jamaica – IAAF Pres ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Proper shutdown protocol needed, says Bynoe The Department of Emergency Managem ... +++ October 27, 2016 - ‘Out of touch’ Economist Ryan Straughn says the la ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Lowe looking to protect the south coast A senior policymaker has warned tha ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Road Hockey 5s hit halfway mark After three weeks of competition th ... +++

No squatters allowed

There is no room at the Villages at Coverley for squatters.

Developer Mark Maloney has dismissed a suggestion by Barbados Labour Party (BLP) Member of Parliament for St Michael East Trevor Prescod that if squatters in the Belle, St Michael are to be moved, they should be relocated to homes at the Christ Church development.

Opting not to say much on Prescod’s comments this week, Maloney, chief executive officer of Housing Concepts, the developers behind the two and three-bedroom housing project, dismissed the idea when asked by reporters about the sales performance of the houses, which cost between $280,000 and just over $340,000.

Mark Maloney

Mark Maloney

“Sales are actually going good against some of what has been said in the media. There will be no squatters coming up here, but those comments we can’t control,” said Maloney.

“Sales are going great,” he added, pointing out that a gym was recently opened and a supermarket would be opened by May.

The CEO disclosed plans to embark shortly on an expansion to the east of the community with larger and different model homes. This idea, he said, had been in the making for about a year.

“ . . . there is a demographic that …. has been reaching out to us that they love Coverley and they love the homes and lifestyle but they would like to have the opportunity to have slightly different homes,” he said.

A model home should be ready by April for viewing, he added.

Maloney was speaking to the media following a seminar for persons involved in the regional construction industry, including engineers, contractors, and other users of cement. The seminar provided an opportunity for them to learn more about the benefits of the product and the manufacturing process.

Maloney, who is behind the recently launched Rock Hard Cement venture, said he thought it was critical to host the event so industry players could share ideas and become more knowledgeable about the product in order to make more informed decisions based on the types of projects they were undertaking and the savings they were seeking to achieve.

It also provided an opportunity for officials of Rock Hard Cement to share more information about the company and some of its plans for the construction industry. Prior to the establishment of Rock Hard Cement, the market was dominated by St Lucy-based Arawak Cement Company Ltd.

Maloney said the company, which started operations about three months ago, had already witnessed tremendous growth in market share locally and was about to embark on expansion to other Caribbean markets.

“We are probably close to 70 per cent of the market share but most important to us is ensuring that all of our customers using our cement are happy with it.”

Maloney said he was hoping to launch similar operations in Trinidad, Grenada, St Lucia and St Vincent by the end of next month.

“In Guyana, we will be launching with a good part of that market share with a partner there,” added the RHC boss.

The workshop attracted participants from Grenada, Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago, St Lucia and St Vincent.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *