October 23, 2016 - Remembering David Thompson Today marks the sixth anniversary o ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Today’s weather The Barbados Meteorological office ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Lashley urges innovation Minister of Culture, Youth and Spor ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Christmas Wonderland is back After a 12-year break, Simpson Moto ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Husbands wins St James South nomination Sandra Husbands has been elected th ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Burst main near Springer Memorial A crew from the Barbados Water Aut ... +++

Police officers lend helping hand

Police officers carrying out repairs to this house

Fulfilling their social responsibility, 49 Barbadian and Anguillan recruits from the Regional Police Training Centre [RPTC] will be participating in a month-long community outreach project to assist those in need.

The aim of the project is to “put a human face to what policing is all about”, revealed public relations officer with the Royal Barbados Police Force, Acting Assistant Superintendent David Welch.

Welch highlighted that it was the responsibility of the Force to not only solve crimes and arrest offenders, but to assist those citizens who may be in dire need of help.

Commandant of the Regional Police Training Centre Sylvester Louis was among the helpers

The project, which timely occurs during the 60th anniversary celebrations of the RPTC, was conceived by the youngest recruit at the centre and came to life due to the assistance of Commandant Sylvester Louis, and lecturer and Chairman of Crime Stoppers Latin America and Caribbean Julie Dash.

With Dash’s support, over $30, 000 in cash and time was accumulated by 55 donors towards the project.

Twenty challenged households will be receiving repairs, renovations and donations, such as toiletries and household items due to the charitable efforts of the RPTC and Dash.

One of these lucky house owners was Genetha McCarthy, an 83 year-old pensioner residing in Moncrieffe St. John.

Genetha McCarthy explaining how thankful she was to have her house repaired

Thankful for extensive renovations being to her home, the St. John resident was overcome with emotion as she tearfully thanked the officers and Dash for the much needed assistance.

“I feel so glad . . . I was asking every since for it to do since . . . 27 years ago,” said a tearful McCarthy.

McCarthy added that due to her bad knees, she was unable to walk up the six stairs outside her home, much less do the repairs herself.

“I work from the time I was nine years old, and I had 2 operations [on her feet] so I cannot do nothing now,” she said. (KK)

32 Responses to Police officers lend helping hand

1. Maria Leclair
    Maria Leclair February 13, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Excellent job helping this lady who waited 27 years. Nice to hear citizens helping each other. Keep up the good work RBPF.

2. Margreet Thompson
    Margreet Thompson February 13, 2016 at 8:15 pm

Great PR ….

3. Santini More
    Santini More February 13, 2016 at 8:24 pm

An excellent lesson for these police recruits…Great idea.

4. Tristan John
    Tristan John February 13, 2016 at 8:29 pm

RBPF serving the people. Nothing unusual here…

5. Margaret Alleyne
    Margaret Alleyne February 13, 2016 at 8:58 pm

I think they should bring out some of the prisoners and let them do some of this wk.let the police do they wk.

6. Cyprian Greaves
    Cyprian Greaves February 13, 2016 at 9:02 pm

What about the #BDF draw a salary, what do these Guys really do!! Boggles the mind.

7. Pam Carew
    Pam Carew February 13, 2016 at 9:06 pm

#greatjobguys Cyprian Greaves the BDF do their part more often than not! Check back the Nation news online and I’m sure u will find evidence …. Or call the police to help find the evidence of the BDF working lol

8. Line Dupuis
    Line Dupuis February 13, 2016 at 10:12 pm

Not surprised. Barbados residents are polite and down right great people.

9. Edith Judkins
    Edith Judkins February 13, 2016 at 11:19 pm

Wonderful blessing to all

10. seagul February 14, 2016 at 4:36 am

27 years Mandela sat imprisoned. Corrupt drug dealing police can’t fool us, likewise the fastfoods–drugs in bellies of horses.

11. michael parker February 14, 2016 at 5:16 am

seagul, what is your point.

12. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce February 14, 2016 at 5:30 am

Community Spirit! That’s what I like to see.

13. Sheldine Dyall
    Sheldine Dyall February 14, 2016 at 5:58 am

Very good officers. Community spirit.

14. Katrina Welch
    Katrina Welch February 14, 2016 at 8:25 am

This is really good news. May many more initiatives like this come about in our island.

15. Peachesnaddy Brown
    Peachesnaddy Brown February 14, 2016 at 8:57 am

Very good mi like it……now go catch the bad guys

16. seagul February 14, 2016 at 9:43 am

The executive Judiciary….abuse of authority, it leads to calamity….

17. Sharmila Julien
    Sharmila Julien February 14, 2016 at 10:15 am

Great job officers

18. Rawle Spooner
    Rawle Spooner February 14, 2016 at 11:14 am

Good work RPTC recruits.

19. Hunte Omar
    Hunte Omar February 14, 2016 at 11:24 am

From time to time the police engaged in this kind of activity. This demonstrates that thier task is not only dealing ith crime, but reaching out to the Society and lending a helping hand.

20. Jason February 14, 2016 at 11:45 am

Amazes me how people always find negativity when people are trying their best to do positive stuff. People like seagul with short sighted thinking will always be the down fall of this country.

21. Mack Clarke
    Mack Clarke February 14, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Well done to the B P F Respect

22. Cheryl Price
    Cheryl Price February 14, 2016 at 12:58 pm

Good wrk officers

23. Cecil P February 14, 2016 at 2:11 pm

M.P I’m with u on this one I don’t understand what seagul is talking about either . he have me confused on this one. I’m still trying to figure it out. lets wait and see if seagul could explain to us and every one else who don’t understand .very COLD @ the north pole . by the way M.P it’s so damn cold @ the NORTH POLE it would freez the NUTS OFF OF A BRASS MONKEY .happy valentine 2 every one in BIM

24. Archie Blenman February 14, 2016 at 5:09 pm

Will some body tell me what Seagul is speaking of.What In the mane of heaven Mandela has to do with police officers helping the old folks in Barbados, I am proud of you officers keep it up.May the good Lord bless and protect you all from harm,love to you brothers and a very happy valentine to the force. let the force be with you

25. seagul February 14, 2016 at 5:19 pm

In this world of calamity
    Dirty looks and grudges and jealousy
    And police weh abuse dem authority
    Media clowns weh nuh know ’bout variety
    Boom!–The youngest veteran a go murder dem slow
    Ragga muffin sent to call me from the bush bungalow
    Unnu watch mek I clear out my voice now Figaro!
    Children abuse ah so we ah go
    Fast food online ah killing them slow
    On the road to zion-GO…….

26. Cecil P February 14, 2016 at 6:46 pm

oh my goodness seagull I’m so sorry I ask u to explain what u said early on. now you’re trying to explain it to us. I read it over and over .sorry but this kind of language I still don’t understand I hope someone could help me out here .I think have been living @ the north pole for too damn long now .I forgot how BAJANS SPEAK .sorry seagull

27. Venice Daisley
    Venice Daisley February 14, 2016 at 7:25 pm

Good job

28. Venice Daisley
    Venice Daisley February 14, 2016 at 7:26 pm
  29. Panwallie February 14, 2016 at 7:32 pm

‘The project was conceived by the youngest recruit at the Police Training Centre.’ Unless he declined, and if so it could have been mentioned, why was this recruit not given honorary mention like Commandant Louis and Julie Dash? We must do it right and give jack his jacket. Where is he in the photo? Kudos to him first for the idea and the RBPF for it’s effort.

30. seagul February 15, 2016 at 7:04 am

Acceptance of the rule of law means that courts must be able to exercise jurisdiction over the executive, otherwise the conduct of the executive would not be restrain by law—an affront to the principles of democracy. Without independent judicial control, we cannot give effect to the essential values of our society. –Law and freedom is the basic ….Corruption in high and low places. A lil house each month or so should be donated to the struggling class. This on and off help from babylon is just a distraction…
    Seagul is understood by the section of people who have been abused by the po-po and the speaker of our house… A word to all you cash-cow dummies, Jah will be waiting there—ah me ah shout.

31. Cecil P February 15, 2016 at 11:00 am

seagul. I now this is what I’m talking about I understand u loud and clear .it took a while but thank u have a nice day .from the cold north pole .find away to send me up some sunshine BAJAN BOY