October 26, 2016 - Wanted man bulletin Police are seeking the assistance o ... +++ October 26, 2016 - School feeding programmes could help fight NCDs A food and nutrition official has i ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Government has run out of options – Arthur Government’s fiscal policy is inf ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Sick airline A top official of regional airline ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Teachers back away from court threat The Barbados Union of Teachers (BUT ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Beacon supports regulatory move Beacon Insurance Company is giving ... +++

‘High-class robbery’

Residents of White Hill, St Andrew have accused the Barbados Water Authority (BWA) of committing “high-class robbery” by sending them excessive water bills.

Today, residents produced evidence of ‘high’ water bills.

Today, residents produced evidence of ‘high’ water bills.

Some of the residents, who have been expressing their anger and frustration at the BWA over regular water outages, say their bills have more than doubled despite the dry taps they have been experiencing in recent months.

Margaret Gill is among those who have complained in the past about the struggles that the people of her community endure just to take a shower or cook a meal.

She told Barbados TODAY she could not understand why she received a bill for $112 in January when “we hardly getting water”.

“From 50 somebody dollars to $112 and [I] ain’t getting no water. How you get that work out? They [must be] dealing with estimated bills.

“They got to do something about it because I can’t pay $112 for something I ain’t getting. It ain’t right; this is high-class robbery for poor people,” Gill said.

“And my fish in there suffering because it ain’t getting no water,” added Antonio Springer, another member of Gill’s household.

The story was the same from Eurie Holder whose bill also jumped by approximately 125 per cent, climbing from $95 to a surprising $221.

Holder said she was so stunned that she called in a plumber to investigate whether there were leaks, but found none.

However, she said her daughter paid the bill because she did not want the service disconnected.

“It is unfair that I did paying water bill for so long and dem sending me this bill. But I pay the bill, God knows I pay it,” Holder explained.

Cries of woe also came from Carlitha Andrews who had a difficult time making sense of rising bills while “the service poor”.  Add an unfinished road and growing piles of refuse to their water plight and it was too much for residents of the districts to endure, she told Barbados TODAY.

“We shouldn’t be getting any bill at all. The bills escalating and when you go to the water works you getting no satisfaction. I ain’t paying no bill because I ain’t getting no water. They tell me I got to pay for a service and I want to know what is the service I paying for. Nobody can’t answer that. They telling you where to pay the bill and ain’t giving you no water,” Andrews complained.

“Everyday is a different disaster up in here. Looka the garbage there that they don’t even want to take up. It ain’t easy up in here. Your garbage can’t get take up and you can’t get any water.  Well they plan kill we.”

Meantime, Gill summed up the residents’ sentiments, saying: “This is nonsense that we Bajans up in hay in White Hill, St Andrew going through.”

BWA Communications Specialist Joy-Ann Haigh told Barbados TODAY late this evening that residents should take their concerns to the General Manager Dr John Mwansa, who will investigate their queries.

10 Responses to ‘High-class robbery’

1. Tony Webster February 4, 2016 at 5:51 am

One phone-call from Bay Street, would stop this tom-foolery , instantly… plus would produce a rotund, honourable, and quite irrrelevant gentleman on Ch-8 , apologising for a stupid computer over there at B.W.A.

Common sense, ain’t so common dese days. Nor is simple decency. That bill, were it delivered to my home up in St. Joseph, would sen’ me straight into A&E…where at least dem has watuh.Verily.

2. jrsmith February 4, 2016 at 6:37 am

Well , well , what do us bajans expect, no proper management , where is the MP for the people, bajans get together take the BWA, to court, bajans make some noise, don’t forget no water no vote, no satisfaction no vote…

3. Ralph Talma February 4, 2016 at 6:44 am

1. Well said @Tony Webster, I agree with you 100%. Were is all the water going? Is it to keep the grass green on the numerous golf courses springing up all over the island?
    2. Surely, an urgent water-pipe repair programme is required, and it is also time we looked closely at desalination plants!
    3. People of St Andrews etc I feel sorry for you.

4. Sue Donym February 4, 2016 at 7:27 am

There is nothing high-class about this!

5. Joanne Barnard February 4, 2016 at 7:39 am

I’m having the same problem in St. Thomas where water is turned off at least 3 to 4 days a week . My water bill has increased or remained the same despite the fact that I am using less than half the amount I normally would. If I can get through by phone to someone at the BWA’s fancy new building, I’m told that the water levels are low and the pumps cannot be turned on until the levels rise. I live in Walkes Spring , St. Thomas and I promise you that if it is raining anywhere on this Island it is raining here ! There is a burst water pipe behind Buckleys Factory that has been spilling water into the ground since the beginning of November. There was a burst pipe in St. Joseph last week that was spewing enough water to supply the island for weeks. Those of us in St. Joseph, St.Andrew, St. Lucy and St. Thomas are being deprived of water to supply the rest of the island. This is wrong on so many levels. We are not even notified of outages.

6. Anne forde February 4, 2016 at 8:39 am

Send me your bill I will pay it for you ? My water bill in England is $945 a year so I can pay for you .

7. Sian February 4, 2016 at 8:45 am

Hi, do you have to pay monthly? And if so do you get discount for doing so. Try trading standards or if you have the office of fair trading. Also check consumer act in the bill of legislation.

8. mervin Stevenson February 4, 2016 at 11:09 am

The reality is that this is happening all over Barbados not only in water restricted areas.
    Nominal estimated bills for months. Then one high bill which is incorrectly calculated and in fact inflated in BWAs favour

I have successfully challenged BWA on behalf of several other persons to now find myself having to visit them on my behalf now.

9. marcia fox February 5, 2016 at 12:17 am

This is crazy! The water in st. Peter is brown and salty and the pressure varies from low to being turned off. It stains people’s clothes and uniforms. Why aren’t they accountable?

10. fjuman February 5, 2016 at 9:58 am

Since the switch over to the new meters my bill has been steadily increasing. I guess they have to find some way to pay for that fancy new building in the Pine.