Rotary West honours four
Rotary West yesterday evening honoured an animal lover, two medical doctors and a doctor of philosophy for outstanding work in their chosen fields.
The exceptional Barbadians –– Royal Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty To Animals’ Chief Inspector Wayne Norville; teacher and author Dr David Browne; paediatrician Dr Anne St John; and historian and retired surgeon Professor Sir Henry Fraser –– received plaques for sterling contributions to their vocations during a ceremony at the Radisson Aquatica Resort in Christ Church.
Norville began as a RSPCA volunteer in 1975, spending his Christmas, summer and Easter vacations there, doing whatever was needed.
Reading the citation, Rotarian Leslie St John described him as the man to call when there are “reports of a cow stuck down a well, a dog on a cliff somewhere, a cat in a tree”.
Norville has received the Barbados Service Star for contributions to the country in the fight for animal rights, and earned a silver medal and certificate from the RSPCA in 1980 for animal life-saving.
He authored what is credited as the first-ever Barbados dog management programme, in conjunction with the Food and Agriculture Organization
of the United Nations.
Queen’s College principal Dr Browne has a long distinguished career in education. He taught history at a range of secondary schools, and among his academic qualifications, holds a PhD in political history and Diploma in Education.
He authored a number of publications, including the textbook Atlantic Interactions for Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination history students and Race, Class, Politics, And The Struggle For Empowerment In Barbados, 1914-1937.
Dr St John was an associate lecturer in paediatrics at the UWI Faculty of Medical Sciences, Cave Hill Campus, from 1980 and served as head of the Department of Paediatrics for nine successive years.
She has been in the post of senior registrar of the Department of Paediatrics at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, and consultant from 1981 until the present time.
She has practised medicine for the past four decades, 37 years of which were dedicated to working in the care of children.
Sir Henry began lecturing in medicine at UWI in 1977, and working as physician consultant at the QEH.
Among the activities in his long career, he established a Clinical Pharmacology Laboratory and Drug Monitoring Service, and is a founding member of the National Formulary Committee, and Caribbean Drug Testing Laboratory.
He is also a member of World Health Organisation Expert Committee for Essential Drugs and the International Union of Clinical Pharmacology Committee.
Sir Henry Established the Chronic Disease Research Centre in 1992 and served as foundation director until 2005.
He was appointed dean of the School of Clinical Medicine and Research in 2001, university dean in 2005, and commissioned to lead the expansion of the Faculty of Medical Sciences.
Sir Henry retired in 2010 after 33 years of service to UWI and QEH.
He has had alternative careers in art, architectural history and heritage preservation, and served, among relevant positions, as Barbados National Trust president.
His publications include 15 books on architecture and heritage.
He is an award-winning artist, exhibiting paintings in Barbados, Jamaica and Britain.