October 21, 2016 - Teenager bamboozles England Teenage off-spinner Mehedi Hasan to ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Local weed cultivation on the rise Marijuana cultivation is on the ris ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Pollard vents on his failed UAE tour PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad – Kie ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Teen faces indecency charge A St George teen who was charged in ... +++ October 21, 2016 - GAIA wage dispute resolution in sight A prolonged and sometimes bitter wa ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Combermere thrash Graydon Sealy Former champions Graydon Sealy had ... +++

Parkinson launches CVQ

Principal of Parkinson Memorial Secondary School Jeff Broomes believes that all students should be well rounded upon leaving secondary school.

Yesterday for the first time cosmetology students came to school dressed in their scrubs. Here Jaeesha Samuel practices her technique on Viandra Jackman.

Speaking to Barbados TODAY yesterday afternoon after students enrolled in the Level One Caribbean Vocational Qualification Programme launched their new uniforms, Broomes threw his full support behind the programme. The uniforms are now a prerequisite for the CVQ programme, with cosmetology students the first to wear their scrubs to school.

Broomes said he has come to realize that they were some very skilled students at the school, whose talents just needed to be tapped into.

“. . . .  In Barbados everyday you find someone that needs a cake baked, or someone that needs flowers, or that wants something build, so there is definitely a place for it. The academics are important to yes, but everyone needs a skill,” he said.

However, Broomes quickly added that by taking part in the CVQ Programme, it did not take away from the student’s academics.

“The CVQ courses are factored into the schools timetable so the students have ample time to do both,” he said.

The programme also includes courses in baking, carpentry and agriculture.

Under the direction of Major John Morgan, the CVQ programme at Parkinson has 154 fifth year and 210 fourth year students enrolled.

Morgan said the TVEC Council was looking to implement the programme at all secondary schools.

7 Responses to Parkinson launches CVQ

1. Empresz Jana
    Empresz Jana January 26, 2016 at 9:09 am

When I was going skool thy it was nthing so . I must admit broomes uplift tht school and he alwys does a good job. Don’t gve up sir . Sme parents need going bck to school honestly . God bless u

2. Angela Fergusson January 26, 2016 at 9:10 am

I fully support this inclusive approach for students at Parkinson. Jeff Broomes is truly a great Educator with care and concern for “the student.” Blessings upon every student crossing his path with ears wide open. Thank you Principal Jeff Broomes!

3. Coreen Holford
    Coreen Holford January 26, 2016 at 11:38 am

Best wishes to my old school

4. Empresz Jana
    Empresz Jana January 26, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Damian Hinkson I love ur status . As I SD it’s sme thm kind of patents tht want going bck to school. Broomes changed tht skool completely. I spent 5 years thy while I was in bim and tht skool was alwys in nation for behavior and thing . From time Mr broomes went all I see is scholarships and alot educational stuff to help these kids .even if thy don’t leave school with a certificate he sure to mke thm leave with a skill. Mr broomes I salute u doing a great job keep it up. I am going try to donate something to the school whn I come bim . I ask God to cover u and protect u with his precious blood in ur good wrk. Ur out thy everyday from 8 to 3 battling with kids all types of behaviours . Smetimes u don’t gt lunch and some these ungrateful parents out here fussing up . Think thy shud sty hme and hme teach thm kids or tke ur plce for a day and see ur job nt tht easy. Bless u sir stay strong

5. Hunte Omar
    Hunte Omar January 26, 2016 at 1:14 pm

This is the right direction .

6. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce January 26, 2016 at 3:25 pm

Good! Jeff Broomes an excellent principal that wanted the very best for the students.

7. baja January 27, 2016 at 11:45 am

I am so please to see this happening at my old school. This is one time the principle has my full backing and support. I love my school. I hope the kids there now embrace what he is trying to do and take in as much as they can.