GUYANA – Two charged
Godbrother and friend of slain British teen remanded
GEORGETOWN –– At around 4:40 p.m. yesterday, with the sun emitting its rays on the stairway of the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts, the two men accused of bludgeoning British teen Dominic Bernard to death before burying him in a shallow grave at Nurney, Corentyne, Berbice, were brought to face a city magistrate. They were jointly charged.
The victim’s 23-year-old godbrother Aaron Hing, also known as “Neutral”, and his 24-year-old friend Staymon George, called “Sherwin”, both of Kildonan Village, Corentyne, Berbice, were not required to plead to the indictable charge, which alleged they killed Bernard on October 14.
Magistrate Judy Latchman remanded the men to prison until today, when they were to appear before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan.
Bernard’s decomposed body was found on January 9. The victim was fully clothed and his body appeared to have been mutilated. A post-mortem showed that he had been clubbed at the back of the head until his skull fractured.
According to reports, Bernard had arrived in Guyana on the day in question, for a three-week vacation with his godbrother. He was scheduled to fly back to England on November 5, but failed to do so.
It was reported that his father Andrew Bernard contacted his godson (Hing) about his son’s whereabouts after he did not return home. However, Hing reportedly told his godfather that he was unaware that the teen was coming to Guyana.This raised suspicions and the older Bernard flew to Guyana to locate his eldest child.
British and local law enforcement were called in to investigate. Several CID ranks from Georgetown and Berbice, acting on an anonymous tip via phone, found the teenager’s decomposed body in a shallow grave at Nurney, Corentyne Berbice.
The victim was fully clothed and appeared to have been mutilated. A post-mortem revealed that the young film-maker had been struck at the back of the head. He sustained a fractured skull, as well as a broken neck.
Attorney Nigel Hughes represented both accused. He requested that his clients be given a speedy trial. Hughes pointed out that the police had delayed bringing his clients before the court even after the additional 72 hours had elapsed.
The lawyer also made a request for all statements in the matter to be disclosed and access to all scientific evidence. According to Hughes, this would help assist him with presenting his clients’ cases.
However, Police Prosecutor, Inspector Vishnu Hunt told the court that police investigation was still ongoing. He said that additional advice was being sought from the Director of Public Prosecutions.
Meanwhile, police have recovered the mobile phone that was among items stolen from Dominic Bernard following his brutal slaying.
Kaieteur News understands that the instrument was recovered shortly after an individual took it to a repair shop in an attempt to have it unlocked. A number of people are said to be still in custody.