News Feed

October 27, 2016 - United win Manchester derby Juan Mata struck to win a tight Man ... +++ October 27, 2016 - IAAF wants Bolt’s services KINGSTON, Jamaica – IAAF Pres ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Proper shutdown protocol needed, says Bynoe The Department of Emergency Managem ... +++ October 27, 2016 - ‘Out of touch’ Economist Ryan Straughn says the la ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Lowe looking to protect the south coast A senior policymaker has warned tha ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Road Hockey 5s hit halfway mark After three weeks of competition th ... +++

Windies first

Twenty20 specialists advised on eligibility

The West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) has made the criteria clear to those who want to play for the region.

Show commitment to playing for the West Indies, especially in the longest format of the game; demonstrate the right attitude; and perform.


Twenty20 specialists (from left) Dwayne Bravo, Chris Gayle and Darren Sammy.

That was the indication from WICB chief executive officer Michael Muirhead during an interview with ESPNcricinfo today where he explained the rationale behind the awarding of 15 retainer contracts and the status of six Twenty20 specialists.

Muirhead explained that the likes of Chris Gayle, Dwayne Bravo, Andre Russell, Kieron Pollard, Sunil Narine and Darren Sammy would be eligible for selection for upcoming tournaments, including the World Twenty20, despite not being given annual retainer contracts by the WICB.

The only condition the WICB has placed is that the players will need to meet criteria set in place by the selection panel, led by former West Indies captain Clive Lloyd. The six players are not part of the group of 15 who were given retainer contracts for the period between October 1, 2015, and September 30, 2016.

Muirhead said the selectors had shortlisted 15 players for the contracts based on certain criteria that were drawn keeping in mind the future of West Indies cricket. He pointed out that the six players –– including Sammy who captains the West Indies T20 side –– did not fit into the selection panel’s vision and hence were not given a contract.

“The selectors did the retainers based on where they saw West Indies cricket going and the philosophy which they wanted to encourage and adopt, principally being loyal to commitment and really build for the longer form of the game,” Muirhead said.

“Lloyd had previously said how and where he was projecting our cricket to go, and how he wanted to build it,” he added.

Muirhead said the 15 players were shortlisted by the panel and endorsed by the WICB based on the “combination of their performances in the regional tournaments as well as their attitude”.

Muirhead insisted the six players should not misread the situation as they would be eligible for forthcoming series, if the selectors deemed fit.

Some of the six players have failed to feature in the list of contracted players in the past, for reasons ranging from disputes with the WICB to voluntarily declining the retainer contracts. In January 2015, Gayle and Narine refused the retainer contracts as they wanted to focus on playing lucrative domestic Twenty20 leagues around the world, where they are marquee players.

“When Chris Gayle and Narine refused our retainer contracts some years ago it was so that they had the freedom to do what they wanted,” Muirhead said. “But they are eligible to play all our games if they meet our criteria. This is not a penalty.”

Muirhead said most of the players had made the decision to make themselves unavailable because they wanted to be free to play in T20 leagues to earn more. “And they took that business decision to do so,” Muirhead said.

Muirhead also stressed that most of the six players had already made public their intentions of not playing Test cricket.

“Many of those players have withdrawn from the long form of the game officially and are not interested in playing for the West Indies in all formats,” he said.

In the last two years, Bravo and Sammy announced their retirement from Test cricket. Pollard has never played Test cricket and is seen by selectors as a limited-overs specialist.

Although Lloyd has always been keen for Russell to play Test cricket, the allrounder told the chairman of selectors he would like to play only limited-overs cricket due to a bad knee.

Narine, who has played six Tests, is busy remodelling his bowling action after he was suspended by the ICC in November last year. Only Gayle, a 103-Test veteran, has openly stated he is still keen to return to Test cricket in 2016.

Though not mentioned, Trinidad and Tobago opening batsman Lendl Simmons who plays in the India Premier League and Australia Big Bash Twenty20 tournaments has also retired from Test cricket.


Source: (cricinfo)

One Response to Windies first

  1. Byron January 14, 2016 at 4:32 am

    Here another set of rubbish out of the mouth of WICB, led ny clive llody. Lloyd is bad news for WI cricket. I maintain that view. He reminds me of Peter Short, and the conial mentality he imposed on the game. WI cricket has been building since 1990, and each coach n each head of selector say the same garbage. Clive vision is a nightmare. The players they claim they building with since 1990 have all aged and ouy of the team and new players taken in and are aging and no evidence of building. Such gatbage. Get lloyd out please. Gordon Grenedge was better.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *