QEH confirms probe into maternal deaths
The grieving families of two mothers who recently died after giving birth at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) will soon get answers from authorities at the health facility.
In a statement this evening, the QEH disclosed, “a full investigation” was ongoing into the circumstances surrounding the two maternal deaths, which occurred within the last two weeks.
“The Director of Medical Services Anthony Harris will meet with the families of the deceased shortly to apprise them of the status of the investigations, “ the statement said.
Harris and a five-member team which includes the Head of Obstetrics and the Gynaecology Department, the Director of Nursing Services, the Clinical Risk Manager, the Legal Officer and a representative of the Barbados Association of Medical Practitioners has been conducting the probe.
Last week, Barbados TODAY learnt that the mother of one of the deceased was contemplating legal action against the hospital.
Acting Chief Medical Officer Dr Kenneth George told journalists at a news conference last Friday that “maternal deaths should not occur,” as he promised that new systems would be put in place to ensure there would not be a repeat.
Health Minister John Boyce empathized with the affected families and assured Barbadians his Ministry would continue to monitor the situation and alert the public if necessary.
The QEH has pledged to release the findings of the investigations to the public as soon as the report is available.