October 21, 2016 - Teenager bamboozles England Teenage off-spinner Mehedi Hasan to ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Local weed cultivation on the rise Marijuana cultivation is on the ris ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Pollard vents on his failed UAE tour PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad – Kie ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Teen faces indecency charge A St George teen who was charged in ... +++ October 21, 2016 - GAIA wage dispute resolution in sight A prolonged and sometimes bitter wa ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Combermere thrash Graydon Sealy Former champions Graydon Sealy had ... +++

Health authorities probe mothers’ deaths

Health authorities are investigating the deaths of two mothers who had given birth at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in the past three to four weeks.

Acting Chief Medical Officer Dr Kenneth George said this morning these maternal deaths are of particular concern because Barbados has been doing so well regarding rates of maternal mortality.

(more details to come)

64 Responses to Health authorities probe mothers’ deaths

1. Ryan Williams
    Ryan Williams January 8, 2016 at 12:53 pm

So wunna raising clouds now over breeding and giving birth? Ya mean we got more ta worry bout dan gang wars and getting rob while we by stop lights? Just now getting ah checkup gine be deadly like calling ah govamunt office…….i know people dat dead trying ta get thru ta MTW and Inland revenue.

• Gailann Rouse
      Gailann Rouse January 8, 2016 at 1:01 pm

So true

• Gailann Rouse
      Gailann Rouse January 8, 2016 at 1:02 pm

Can’t get we income tax but them celebrating 50 years of independence…. stupea

• A.McClean January 9, 2016 at 9:23 am

You need to stop using words like breeding , to describe women giving birth.

2. Keyshia Barrow
    Keyshia Barrow January 8, 2016 at 12:57 pm

Brazil blamed zika virus

• Heather Cole
      Heather Cole January 8, 2016 at 7:14 pm

I thought that it only affected the Babies

3. Cherylann Bourne-Hayes
    Cherylann Bourne-Hayes January 8, 2016 at 1:12 pm

It is a serious matter. It is not uncommon for countriws to do this if there is no indication if it is from the delivery itself.

4. Cherylann Bourne-Hayes
    Cherylann Bourne-Hayes January 8, 2016 at 1:12 pm

It is a serious matter. It is not uncommon for countries to do this if there is no indication if it is from the delivery itself.

5. Karon Nurah Ollivierre-Haqq
    Karon Nurah Ollivierre-Haqq January 8, 2016 at 1:18 pm

So sad.
    My family actually knew one of the young ladies…

6. Paula Polin
    Paula Polin January 8, 2016 at 1:20 pm

7. Pam Brathwaite
    Pam Brathwaite January 8, 2016 at 1:24 pm

I lost a cousin just yesterday ti one of these is soo sad to see a joyous occasion turn to mourning to a loss ..mow that this baby is motherless..may her soul ….R.I.P…I’m soo sad

8. Browneye Kat
    Browneye Kat January 8, 2016 at 1:40 pm

Saw this just now and it hurt me cause its only now that precious lives are gone for u to now investigate smh

9. Sparkles Wentt
    Sparkles Wentt January 8, 2016 at 1:44 pm

So true sis

10. Tony Webster January 8, 2016 at 1:54 pm

@RyanW….Cha man…telephone is small-change bohsie….you en hear de what de PM say ’bout we “already great”….and we cud be “de greatest”? Sorry, “de greatest in de world”. Man, soon from now…dese magicians gine mek watuh flow up…an’ come out a tap!

11. Ashanda Coward
    Ashanda Coward January 8, 2016 at 1:55 pm

The sad thing about this is, that its a practing hospital where alot student doctors and nurses are and suing them wont be an easy task, in Trinidad the other day a lady died from a C-Section after have bleeding from delivering her daughter, they took her back to surgery to try to stop the bleeding but she died, the headlines had it as a “BOUCHED SURGERY” now those two doctors are suspended from work until and investigation. I was given a C-Section with my last child, and mind you the very first time I took the test and got a positive results, I was praying until then. My prayers where always “Lord dont let them leave anything inside me, dont let them stick me the wrong place and cripple me, let them not give me the wrong medication” I prayed that each time everyday, I was up during my surgery, they make you slough and bend your back a little to numb the bottom of your body I just prayed they dont stick me the wrong place. After the surgery and everything they take you to recovery you stay there for about 30 minutes or so to make sure you can feel your feet moving. My son’s father all he was saying he hope I am ok and I am not cripple or anything like that. These days when you step on that premises you have to pray and go with God hear, to much mistakes and mishaps up in there. Up to this morning I was there and a lady they couldnt find her ultrasound notes and the lady was very upset. SMH.

12. Bionca Manrow
    Bionca Manrow January 8, 2016 at 2:13 pm

:'( r.i.p Sunshine Sherrese

13. Toshelle Foster
    Toshelle Foster January 8, 2016 at 2:18 pm

R.I.P Tasha Sweets and Sunshine Sherrese

14. Julianne Barker
    Julianne Barker January 8, 2016 at 2:31 pm

R.I.P to those mother’s families who lost their loved one. With each of my pregnancies I prayed to God everything would be okay. Please people understand that every pregnancy carries a tremendous risk and they’re hundreds of complications that can happen in childbirth and many do happen suddenly and without any warning. Each individual and case is different and unique. Please give the authorities time to do their investigation
    I’m by no means defending the hospital cause I’ve witnessed a great deal there. I could have been a statistic too.

15. Roxanne Broome
    Roxanne Broome January 8, 2016 at 2:40 pm

I always tell people and believe that prayer is the most important weapon when you are going to give birth to your child. The enemy tried to take my child’s life 5 years ago while giving birth to her but little that the devil knows that God had already conquered victory. Prayer changes things. My daughter is healthy and growing beautifully a day like today. Glory to God.

• Stacia Newsam
      Stacia Newsam January 8, 2016 at 6:41 pm

Amen. Prayer can go places we cannot.

• Samud Ali
      Samud Ali January 8, 2016 at 8:18 pm

And all those mothers who prayed so hard and still lost their children …. Guess they’re loves weren’t worthy

16. Ria Cassandra
    Ria Cassandra January 8, 2016 at 2:45 pm

Sigh seeing this just offset my whole day…. Lord please help us

17. Divine Duchess
    Divine Duchess January 8, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Im pregnant and just lost my appetite seriously!!! Lord I trust that you’ll always be by my side and all the other expecting mothers …Rip ladies hmmm

• Michelle Stephens
      Michelle Stephens January 8, 2016 at 3:55 pm

GOD BE WITH U!!!!!!! seriously

• Michelle Carter
      Michelle Carter January 8, 2016 at 5:26 pm

My dear u should not let this dishearten u qeh have some of the best maternal rates in the Caribbean plus none of us know the peculiarities surrounding each case i wish u a safe pregnancy and birth.condolonces to the family and friends of the deceased

• Divine Duchess
      Divine Duchess January 8, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Thank u both!

18. Alva Hope
    Alva Hope January 8, 2016 at 2:59 pm

But mothers dying at child birth goes way back…could be any number of complications. All who’s pregnant just don’t catch’re gonna do yourself more harm raising your blood pressure. As the ole ppl say pregnancy is always uncertainty..just pray you’ll get thru it safely

19. Alva Hope
    Alva Hope January 8, 2016 at 3:00 pm

My condolences

20. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce January 8, 2016 at 3:28 pm
  21. Llemor Grant
    Llemor Grant January 8, 2016 at 3:29 pm

Mrs Hope i agree pregnancy is uncertain but i also know there is such a thing as malpractice and negligence etc when it comes to people getting health care and we all know how laid back most government institutions are but you cannot cannot caaaaaaannot be that way when dealing with the sick and people’s lives

22. Marsha Layne
    Marsha Layne January 8, 2016 at 4:29 pm

No surprise here…..maternity health has been an unaddressed issue in Barbados for years…

23. Anita Straker
    Anita Straker January 8, 2016 at 4:42 pm

Pregnancy is beautiful but u have to take care of your self very good some times u have complecations

24. Cherylann Johnson January 8, 2016 at 5:11 pm

I am glad that they are investigating the deaths as of those women was my friend from childhood.

That being said I would like to add this. Sometimes it is not the negligence of the Drs or medical staff nor the fault of the institution itself. The is a saying that when a woman is pregnant she has one foot in the grave and the other out…..just saying…

Anything could’ve happened. I will tell you it was a shock and hurts a lot and I’m just a friend. Imagine how their families feel.

Granted they are times when the service leaves a sour taste in your mouth and I have experienced that but I’ve also experienced excellent and professional service as well.. So I guess we really have to wait on the post mortems to determine and fine and lock up the medical teams

We as a people jump to conclusions too fast….that is my humble opinion…. I just hope people understand where I am coming from.

All the speculation doesn’t change the fact that a family has lost a daughter, mother, sister, cousin, aunt and doesn’t change the fact that we have all lost a friend…..

25. Wavney Rouse
    Wavney Rouse January 8, 2016 at 5:26 pm

this is very sad in this day n age… My prayers are for the families , the babies & the mums.. wanna rest in peace.. i real sorry to hear this…

26. Sheena Beans
    Sheena Beans January 8, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Pregnancy is a joy but they say… its one foot in the grave n de other out…. having just had my daughter what woman doea gotta deal wid in labour ward is bare stressssssssss but i can say….. Dr. McIntyre team handle me well im sorry for the lost of the mothers its sad very sad…. hope they get things in order

27. Megan Farmer
    Megan Farmer January 8, 2016 at 6:14 pm

That is an awful ending to a joyous moment in these families lives. My condolences to the families and friends. R.I.P.

28. Heather Cole
    Heather Cole January 8, 2016 at 7:03 pm

My heart felt condolences.

29. Heather Cole
    Heather Cole January 8, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Barbados had a great record with neonatal care. This is shocking. A sign that you risk your life going to the hospital. The peoples tax dollars are to provide for the best care and supplies for the hospital not the waste that was delivered by government on Wednesday. I am praying that this will not occur again. Something needs to be done to channel all available resources to the QEH because there is valid proof now that the lives of citizens are at risk.

30. SMakombe January 8, 2016 at 7:23 pm

This is very sad indeed. I sincerely believe that the medical staff at QEH wants to do the right thing but they are limited by resources. That being said…there needs to be a general probe into the standard of care across the board and not just in maternity. The medical staff needs to be creative with using what we do have to do the most good. We need to do a better job following medical evidence and not just practicing based on what was current when QEH was built. It breaks my heart that we do not do screening colonoscopies to detect colon cancer early and not after someone has symptoms, that we aren’t screening adults for diabetes, that we are cutting women in labor (episiotomy). ..because it looked like they were starting to tear. In cases where evidence and guidelines were not followed…there should be disciplinary action taken.

31. Olwen Edwards-Pile
    Olwen Edwards-Pile January 8, 2016 at 7:39 pm

Oh dear. What’s next

32. Camille Shareece Roach
    Camille Shareece Roach January 8, 2016 at 7:44 pm

33. Denise Layne
    Denise Layne January 8, 2016 at 8:24 pm

Omg for real

34. Concerned Citizen January 8, 2016 at 8:31 pm

Maybe you all should look up Maternal Mortality and its causes before jumping to the conclusion it was negligence. I am quite confident that the medical staff would have tried their best to save and treat the patients.

35. lswiltshire January 8, 2016 at 10:09 pm

Death in childbearing is not uncommon worldwide for a number of legitimate reasons. which I wont list here

It is the norm for investigations and clinico=pathological conferences to be done at QEH for over 40 years re quality control measures

36. lswiltshire January 8, 2016 at 10:16 pm

Suppose these women had pre-eclampsia or eclampsia?

Suppose these women had DIC disseminated intra vascular coagulation?

I personally saw cases like this years ago
    read it up online and stop the … the hysteria
    Th authorities are doing what thy ought to be doing

37. lswiltshire January 8, 2016 at 10:26 pm

You guys are jokers
    You keep the hysteria and you block my KNOWLDGEABLE COMMENTS

Wist thou not that I qualified in Medicine in Barbados, teach medical students overseas and actually KNOW what I am talking about
    Why dont you look up pre eclampsia and DIC online

38. Sandra Lorde-Breedy
    Sandra Lorde-Breedy January 8, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Condolences to their families. So sad and I am seeing that this is a reoccurring problem in Trinidad.

39. Sandra Lorde-Breedy
    Sandra Lorde-Breedy January 8, 2016 at 10:32 pm

Condolence to their families so sad and this is becoming a epedemic in Trinidad.just last week a school principal died from a botched c section.hope we don’t go down that road

40. Mum-to-be January 8, 2016 at 10:52 pm

Reading this while on ward was probably not a very good idea….

41. ch January 8, 2016 at 11:38 pm

Some of you need to calm down. The excellent track record in maternal (and child) health in this country is due to first-class antenatal care at the polyclinics; hospital and by private doctors. All under the umbrella of the Ministry of health and that is why they will analyze these cases.
    Most times, complications relate to the mother if she has certain medical conditions like sickle-cell or high blood pressure. Or if she gets a clot after delivery. Wait for the facts. If it was human error, let it be dealt with honestly.
    Condolences to their families and I pray their childen will be loved and well-cared.

42. Kimmy January 9, 2016 at 5:25 am

As a mother who gave birth last month I want to say that it is a scary yet enjoyable to be in the hospital. I personally hate them but was given great care by both the doctors and nurses. I was able to thank them for their great work. We all must understand that the hospital is usually short of staff. Doctors have patient on 4 or more wards are a that each need to be seen every day. Please do not jump to conclusions, let’s all wait for the facts.

43. rebelglam January 9, 2016 at 10:13 am

To them I was none

She spoke to me like I was guilty
    Like I stole her money
    Like my baby was another mistake destined for doom
    And that is why
    Before I met her
    My tears slid down my face like rain running down the windshield
    My face stunned as though it had just been hit with a jagged stone
    My elastic soul stretched to its limit, I begged God not to rip it
    Before I even stood with her in the same room.

And she was many but she was one
    With the same hate for anyone who was not someone
    With her vain ratings no one would ever be some won
    And so I was none
    To them I was none.

44. Ego January 9, 2016 at 5:07 pm

This is serious matter, lets think.

45. Adele Smith January 9, 2016 at 5:16 pm

While investigating these, what about also probing the mishandled delivery of babies whose mothers’ survived, but the baby/babies suffered brain damage, need special care and who often suffer with ongoing seizures. It seems that no one takes responsibility for that which was totally avoidable by an earlier episiotomy. Scans show brain damage due to oxygen deprivation.