Plenty to prove
Holder still hopeful of West Indies turnaround
MELBOURNE –– West Indies skipper Jason Holder has called for greater discipline from his bowlers as West Indies head to Sydney with the series lost but plenty still to prove.
The West Indies crashed to their second heavy defeat of the series in a 177-run mauling by the Australians in the second Test in Melbourne that ended a day early. Once again the West Indies could not bowl out Australia, who made two innings declarations on the way to setting West Indies an unachievable 460 runs for victory over the final two days.
Holder’s team still have the third and final Test against the Australians getting underway at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Sunday to salvage something out of the ruins of a miserable tour.
“Our bowlers still need to be a lot more disciplined than we are at the moment. We need to find ways to control the game a lot more. Although the pitches have been very good for batting, we still have to find ways to contain the batsmen. We’ve been allowing them to score on both sides of the wicket, and we haven’t been able to contain them and control the game thus far, having them run away at certain stages of the game,” he said.
Holder was reasonably content with his batsmen, despite the damning statistic that the West Indies have yet to pass 300 in any of their eight innings against Australia at home and away this year.
“Most of our batsmen if you look at this game have gotten starts, so it’s about carrying on. Darren Bravo has been exceptional so far. He’s really led our batting. He’s showing some signs of maturity. Hopefully he can continue and lead our batting in this third Test match,” he added.
Holder said taking the Sydney Test to a fifth day was not the primary task.
“Not only to get to five days but the goal is to win. I still believe we can,” the West Indies skipper said.