News Feed

October 27, 2016 - United win Manchester derby Juan Mata struck to win a tight Man ... +++ October 27, 2016 - IAAF wants Bolt’s services KINGSTON, Jamaica – IAAF Pres ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Proper shutdown protocol needed, says Bynoe The Department of Emergency Managem ... +++ October 27, 2016 - ‘Out of touch’ Economist Ryan Straughn says the la ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Lowe looking to protect the south coast A senior policymaker has warned tha ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Road Hockey 5s hit halfway mark After three weeks of competition th ... +++

Never again, says BWU

The Barbados Workers Union (BWU) has called for “closure” in the case of a protesting Apes Hill Club employee who was recently struck by a car while on the picket line.

Deputy General Secretary Dwaine Paul told reporters today that the union had yet to hear from the Royal Barbados Police Force (RBPF) on the incident, which allegedly took place earlier this month while some 40 workers, comprising mainly maintenance staff, were on strike to press the luxury facility to recognize the union as their bargaining agent.

Paul stopped short of demanding an arrest, but called on the police to expedite the matter.

“What we have not heard at this point in time is an update as it relates to the young man that was injured. We are really hoping that the members of the RBPF can bring that matter to closure sooner rather than later. The young man is resting comfortably, we are in contact with him, but we would really like to see closure to that matter as it relates to the members of the RBPF. I know that they are stretched, but we would really like that matter expedited,” the senior trade unionist said shortly before a meeting with about 20 Sandy Lane Resort workers at the BWU’s Solidarity House headquarters.

He described the incident as “unfortunate and unprecedented” in the country’s industrial relations climate, and insisted it must never be repeated.

“In our 75 years of the union we have never had such an incident taking place and I would never like it to happen again to anyone on the picket line,” Paul said.

The two sides have since begun talks under the chairmanship of Chief Labour Officer Vincent Burnett and the BWU has reported that a settlement was imminent early in the New Year.

5 Responses to Never again, says BWU

  1. Gloria Mendes December 22, 2015 at 7:29 am

    I do not agree with what happen d. But I also do not agree with picket lines refusing people to peacefully drive through it is different if the company is bringing in outside labour. To do their jobs. But to unilaterally block the road is not acceptable

  2. Samud Ali
    Samud Ali December 22, 2015 at 9:48 am

    Was the driver white? Do we know that detail?

  3. eddy December 22, 2015 at 2:21 pm

    My problem with this is that the people are following the government. The same government you have to go for settlement. So how come you going to tell me I can not do that when you are the head one doing it.

  4. bajan December 22, 2015 at 4:02 pm

    We don’t know the facts of the accident yet. But I know that if I was dtiving through a picket line and my vehicke struck someone by accudent and the peaceful protesters turned into a a vicious mob agaunst me I would flee for my life too.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *