Family of four left homeless after fire
Mere days before the biggest holiday of the year, a St George family of four is in search of a place to call home for Christmas.
Charles Selman, his girlfriend Etta Wilson and their two children of 1st Stage, Waverley Cot, St George, lost their home and the majority of their possessions to fire over the weekend.
Selman’s timber home of ten years was burnt to the ground as only a few clothes and household items could be saved from the blaze.
Neighbour Ina Clarke told Barbados TODAY Charles was lucky to have escaped unhurt, as “he aint got no good foot “.
“He was lucky to get out,”said Clarke after Selman narrowly escaped injury.
Sunday’s fire, which occurred around 5 p.m., also caused minor damage to Clarke’s home next door, which she shares with her granddaughter and great grand children.
However, the quick response of the Fire Service saved her home from total disaster.
“If the fire truck didn’t come, me house did sweep down,” said a shaken Clarke.
Another neighbour, who did not want to be identified, said Selman’s house burnt quickly due to the strong winds and the low water pressure in the area.
“[It] was very difficult trying to get things out of the house because of the intense heat so the important thing was saving lives,” she said, adding that “the community will do all they can to help”. (KK)