October 27, 2016 - United win Manchester derby Juan Mata struck to win a tight Man ... +++ October 27, 2016 - IAAF wants Bolt’s services KINGSTON, Jamaica – IAAF Pres ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Proper shutdown protocol needed, says Bynoe The Department of Emergency Managem ... +++ October 27, 2016 - ‘Out of touch’ Economist Ryan Straughn says the la ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Lowe looking to protect the south coast A senior policymaker has warned tha ... +++ October 27, 2016 - Road Hockey 5s hit halfway mark After three weeks of competition th ... +++

Jones guilty of driving with expired licence

Minister of Education Ronald Jones had to part with $1 000 on Tuesday after he appeared in the District ‘B’ Magistrates Court on two traffic offences.

Jones’ traffic violations came about after police were summoned to the scene of an accident, which occurred at Lowlands Junction, Christ Church earlier this year.

After pleading guilty to driving without due care and attention, Magistrate Laurie-Ann Smith-Bovell hit Jones with a $750 forthwith fine and a further $250 forthwith for having an expired driver’s licence. The fines were paid.

Sergeant Martin Rock prosecuted the matter.

14 Responses to Jones guilty of driving with expired licence

1. Meriem December 17, 2015 at 10:46 am

So I wonder…. will said officer be promoted, demoted or just plain blocked after this?

2. Kathie Daniel December 17, 2015 at 10:56 am

The magistrate was “pleading guilty”?

Come on, guys, you can do a better job than this with the editing of the story….

Still hilarious, though.

3. e. jerome davis December 17, 2015 at 10:59 am

Kathie, I am tired of writing about this. I am glad that someone else has picked up on it. Our journalist are writing without due care and attention.

4. Tony Webster December 17, 2015 at 11:01 am

Jonesin’ I guess! Hmm..this bush lawyer would add….is the obvious consequential question: is his insurance company going to honour a claim to fix the injured (metaphorically) party’s vehicle …or (rightly) reject any such, and add to Bossman’s woes? It evidently pays to stay on the right side of The Law, peoples!

Tip of the hat to the professional officers and all other public servants handling this case!

5. Ralph Talma December 17, 2015 at 12:17 pm

1. Hear Hear Mr Webster. If his licence is really out of date, then his insurance company would be acting against their duties in approving any repairs.
    2. Is he really a Magistrate?

6. dave December 17, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Talk about Jonesing . Let the Mouth of the South talk about that now !! Can’t even take care of personal affairs , no wonder Education descends into Confusion every-time-JOKER !!! Imagine that -How careless ! How utter disgraceful. This Govt is the Worst !!! –and it is reflected everyday. Look at that nuh ! He Jonesing !! There is no Excuse—NONE !!!!

7. Von December 17, 2015 at 5:41 pm

I pay mine every year because I know a few persons who paid for 3 years and forgot when the time came around; it happens.

8. jrsmith December 18, 2015 at 7:12 am

I am so stung ,by this caper. something isn’t right, this kind of situation doesn’t happen in Barbados,to people is his position, this doesn’t happen to. now we see why our politicians ,don’t really show interest in anything unless they have an ulterior motive in they favour.

How many more politicians , how many upper management , is in the same boat. breaking the laws or may be worst, This matter is just going to gradually, dissolve itself, and be forgotten in a couple of months, this is a massive test for us all Bajans. watch this space.

That’s why , so many bajans is against ,stop and search , no insurance, may be no driving license, and others…. THIS IS THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG. Well, well.

9. Kevin December 18, 2015 at 10:26 am

Because the pot cannot call the kettle black.

10. David G. Brooks December 18, 2015 at 11:02 am

Tony, I understand (from a second source) the RAV4 was written off and he went in and got a replacement from the local dealer forthwith.

BTW, (from my first source who was in same court that day) that the driver’s license was 2 years expired and one of the other charges was not wearing a seat belt.

I had heard about a turning right of Spring Garden H/way too and causing an accident but maybe this last part was confused as my source was giggling inwardly too much at the whole affair – since Jonesie came in talking about how much people were in court and the Govt coffers were going to get fatter – his was the highest charge and he walked out quiet as a mouse.

11. Roger Gibbons December 18, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Maybe Mr. Jones just forget about it, It happened to me once only when I presented the license as ID it was pointed to me. I was totally surprised.

12. Samuel Morrison December 18, 2015 at 6:00 pm

Spite is a nasty thing. Jones should be complimented for allowing the process to take its course. Rather than recriminations he should be applauded for his faith in the justice system and not seek to Prevert justice. From one comment above it appears that he paid forthwith regardless of the comments he made about government coffers getting some money. He paid his. How many persons were in court that day on an offense under the traffic act. I bet dozens. Why were their names not published. It is the fishy smell of journalism and the partisan politics of the country. Half Austin is a clown with Zebra stripes. The fool should know that a traffic offense is not a criminal offense. David Brooks sounds a little spiffed. I guess Jonsie should have waited on him to replace his vehicle. No charges were made about driving without licence or road tax. I can almost Betb that Jones buys a five year licence and most likely forgot its renewal date. Stop being so nasty minded. He paid, he satisfied the laws of the land. What a pitiful bunch of losers.

13. Tony Waterman December 19, 2015 at 11:15 am

@Samuel Morrison!!!! Let me start by letting everyone know that i am NOT a Supporter of Either D or B, and Sammy, you are either a FOOL or Very MYOPIC (Blinders on)
    I have seen many times over in this jurisdiction, Politicians Sacked for much LESS than Jonsey did, Can you imagine what would have happened if he had Killed someone ??? he is the same person who only a few Months ago was RANTING and RAVING about people doing the same thing.

“”Jones should be complimented for allowing the process to take its course. Rather than recriminations he should be applauded for his faith in the justice system and not seek to Prevert justice.””

Thank you for admitting that this is what would Normally have occoured, and would probably have , except for the Fact that the Victim in this altercation was more than likely from the other camp, and there was a fear that if this did not occour(No Charge) it could have been Embarassing for the Government.
    I do agree with Hal that he should be asked by the P.M. to Resign over this serious Incident. but that in my opinion is just wishful thinking.
    I am looking forward to seeing that Officer who made the charge, being posted to Crab Hill at some point in time.