October 23, 2016 - Barbados welcomes MV Viking Star The MV Viking Star docked for the f ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Griffith wins BLP nomination in St John   Charles Griffith will repres ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Hudson Griffith withdraws from BLP nomination for St John seat     As supporters of the ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Chelsea thrash Mourinho’s United 4-0 Source: AFP- LONDON, United Kingdom ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Relief on the way, says BWA The Barbados Water Authority (BWA) ... +++ October 23, 2016 - SSA board could face legal action, Comissiong warns Outspoken social activist and attor ... +++

Return of the doc?

Dr Duguid open to run again

Having extracted dentist Dr Maria Agard from the party, the Opposition Barbados Labour Party (BLP) could insert Dr William Duguid as its candidate in the Christ Church West riding.

Dr Duguid, also a dentist, quit active politics in 2013 after representing the constituency from 2003, paving the way for Dr Agard to represent the BLP stronghold. However, the continuing row between the sitting Member of Parliament and the party has led to calls by constituents for Dr Duguid’s return, and the former MP appears interested.

“Obviously I would have to be cognizant of what the people are saying, but I really have to put it to my family because I cannot make a decision like that on my own. This would be something for the family to decide. Once the family gives its approval then I would have to seriously consider it,” he told Barbados TODAY.

When a team from Barbados TODAY toured some areas within the constituency, several constituents said they would welcome back their former representative should he decide to return to elective politics.

While most of those interviewed declined to give their names or to be photographed, they stressed that he was a very good representative during his tenure.

“Dr Duguid is a good man, but on the other hand, Dr Maria Agard did not offer me any assistance. I had to go and look for work from the other political party. I would welcome him back because when he was the parliamentary representative for Christ Church West he gave me work on a house he was building and three apartments,” said a young building contractor  in Clapham.

A young women who also lives in Clapham and who also declined to give her name said she too would welcome Dr Duguid back, but she was interested in finding out what he would offer the constituency.

Over at Symmonds Land, a retired human resources manager was high in praise for the quality of Dr Duguid’s representation and his visibility and accessibility to constituents.

“I would definitely vote for Duguid. I used to see him often. He would always pass through the constituency. He was a good representative. I saw Dr Agard once when she was being introduced to the constituency by Herbie Yearwood. I have not seen her since that introduction.”

Dewayne Brewster, a young tradesman, said he regretted Dr Duguid’s withdrawal from elective politics, arguing that if he was still the representative “he would ensure that I find gainful employment”.

“Duguid did a lot for my family and many other families in the constituency. He was able to get a bus service for my district even though it has been withdrawn in recent times. He also ensured that we got natural gas. He even tried to get a playing field for the youth of Rendezvous. We would welcome him back in the constituency,” he told Barbados TODAY.

While willing to accept Dr Duguid with opened arms if he decides to return, Robin Ifill argued that Dr Agard is a good representative, pointing out that she frowned on the practice of vote-buying.

It was not immediately clear how the BLP hierarchy feels about a return of the doctor, but he stressed that if his family agreed that he could have another run, he would sit with the party to discuss the way forward.

“Family comes first and I need to find out what it is saying. I do hear the people definitely and I do understand why they are asking for me. I received several calls from constituents encouraging me to reconsider my decision to quit politics. Once I get approval from my family I would discuss it with
the party,” Dr Duguid said, leaving the door open for a possible return.

9 Responses to Return of the doc?

1. Sue Donym December 11, 2015 at 7:02 am

Move over, Peter Wickham. It appears the Barbadian elector is an uncomplicated, predictable being. No science please, we’re Bajan!

2. Lica December 11, 2015 at 7:49 am

Dugid you was the right person after Sir Henry Forde! You is a people person very humble n calm!

3. jrsmith December 11, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Amen ,Amen. this is my home area.

4. Adrian Hinds December 11, 2015 at 3:28 pm

has always being liken to a fifedom.

5. dave December 11, 2015 at 8:47 pm

These ignorant hand to mout mendicants need to be educated. This is what politics has come to ? Extreme Mendicancy ? Barbados Gone through the eddoes -yuh hear !

6. ADRIAN Hinds December 12, 2015 at 12:40 am

Oh please Adrian, anythijg that riddles with BLP you are against. As for dipping in and out it just goes to show you dont have to work long hours all the time. Its called working smart. A man tat had tremendous presence and addessed many issues of many on his constituency.

7. Sam clarke December 12, 2015 at 4:32 am

I am sick and tired of constituents constantly blaming their representatives for they not getting jobs. It is time to stop this foolishness. The political parties have created a situation that has the government in this economic predicament.
    By placing these people in government jobs, that were specifically designed for them.
    No private company would do such a thing and be a successful business. But yet governments continue this bad policy. If you listen to the comments of the woman, claiming that Dr. Agard didn’t get her a job, but the other party did, speak volumes as to why Barbados is in such bad shape.

So with this contued practice, no wonder that throughout every facet of government, there is such incompetent people working. Hence you can never grt anything done at the various government offices.

8. Rev. H. Malcolm A. Gibbs-Taitt December 12, 2015 at 11:39 am

Here’s the predicament: both Drs. Maria Agard and William Duguid are regarded as people I would support.
    Dr. Duguid was the parliamentary representative but left Parliament after securing his pension.
    Dr. Agard, is doing a credible job without the frivolous stuff that should not be qualifying factors.
    But, as I have continually argued and will continue so to do, this whole thing is about the security of one’s turf. I am willing to claim that if Dr. Duguid was a fervent supporter of the Owen Arthur clan, he would not be welcomed to return.
    Oh, let me state my position, I do support Dr. Duguid’s return. This should not be regarded as a play toy. I call it as I see it. None of these people cook for me so my freedom to express my view will not be hindered.
    To the people of Christ Church West: if you wake up with a functioning brain, use it, it is yours!
    Now that the matter of the way the BLP dealt with the expulsion affair, I will refrain from comment until after the Court’s Ruling.
    Be reminded, though, that Dr. Clyde Mascoll was not elected in 2008; Rev. Joseph Atherley, Messrs. David Gill, Arthur Holder and Ian Gooding-Edgehill (2013) were not elected in seat considered safe. You see, if these were elected The Rt. Hon. Owen S. Arthur, MP would be Prime Minister today. Have you ever wondered why it was alright to canvass against people, considered to be your own?
    It has always about one’s turf. Nothing else matters.
    Rev. H. Malcolm A. Gibbs-Taitt.

9. Adrian Hinds December 31, 2015 at 10:29 pm

the last representative spent money. He bought his seat, so did the one before him; The people of that constituency are not loyal to the BLP they are loyal to the representative who spends money.