Jahan’s file remains open
Investigators are still questioning people in connection with the June 29 mysterious death of six-year-old Jahan King, formerly of Jackson in St Michael. Acting crime chief Assistant Commissioner Livingstone Eversley told Barbados TODAY this afternoon lawmen have been questioning a number of people in relation to King’s death, but have not completed the exercise.
“The investigations are still ongoing,” ACP Eversley said.
The senior police officer had earlier expressed hope the matter would be concluded by the end of last month.
Among those interrogated and released were the boy’s mother Lasonta Gill and her boyfriend Dwayne Marshall with whom King lived.
The boy’s grandmother, Margaret Gill, has claimed that the child was the victim of abuse. Gill had also put blame for the boy’s death squarely at the feet of the state-run Child Care Board (CCB), which she said was made aware of Jahan’s situation, but did nothing to help him.
However, the child’s mother said her son was not a victim of abuse, claiming that the boy suffered an asthma attack before his death.
She said her son was not troublesome, and she never had any reason to beat him, explaining that she often found “minor alternatives” to corporal punishment if he did anything wrong. She also swore she had no reason to believe that her partner abused Jahan. (EJ)