October 22, 2016 - Helping Haiti The Help Haiti Today Radiothon, has ... +++ October 22, 2016 - St James man nursing stab wounds One woman is assisting police with ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Teen remanded Eighteen-year-old Adam Harris of En ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Police probe Wildey fire Police are investigating a fire whi ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Intrigue among Barbados Pride With the start of the 2016-17 West ... +++ October 22, 2016 - Water hope Relief could soon be on the way for ... +++

‘I could be dead too’

St philip man recalls brother's killing

One moment Shane Nurse was talking to his brother Troy about the death of Dwayne Burgess who was shot during the St Philip carnival just after 5p.m. yesterday. The next moment he was lying on the ground gasping for breath, the victim of an apparent random shooting.

Troy told Barbados TODAY it was a numbing experience to be listening to his little brother telling him about the carnival which neither attended, then watching him being shot multiple times, at their home in Ruby, St Philip around 6:55 p.m.

Troy Nurse showing where the assailant who shot his brother was standing.

Troy Nurse showing where the assailant who shot his brother was standing.

“I ask he what happen at the carnival and he tell me that he hear a man dead while it was going on. Then quick so this thing happen,” he recalled, the pain of watching his brother die etched on his face.

Troy recounted that the 34-year-old father of Arkamani, three, Nzinga, two, and eight-month-old Candace met his death after he asked a group of men liming outside his family property where an after carnival party was being held, to stop throwing bottles into the yard.

Shane Nurse’s children, from left, Arkamani, Nzinga and Candace.

Shane Nurse’s children, from left, Arkamani, Nzinga and Candace.

“One of the guys say, ‘or what you gine do?’ So the same time my brother and I get up and went to shut the gate. As we get up this guy just open up fire on us out of nowhere.

“It ain’t like we know he, or we had anything with him. We don’t even know where he come from. He shoot at us just because we tell them stop breaking up bottles in the yard,” an angry Nurse complained, showing the grazes on his hand from the bullets.

“I could have been dead too because me and my brother was side by side. My mother could have lost two sons yesterday.”

Troy Nurse showing where he was grazed by one of the bullets that killed his brother Shane

Calling for justice for his sibling, Nurse suggested that the killers seemed determined to cause trouble. He told Barbados TODAY it appeared that prior to the shooting a car owner had spoken to the same group of men about using bottles to scrape his vehicle.

“So them just decide them gine do anything with anybody at that point in time. It was just a simple request. What kind of frame of mind you could be in that you shoot somebody for just asking to stop breaking up the bottles.

“To me from how things unfold he was just proving a point. You ain’t from out here, you ain’t even from St Philip but you breaking up bottles in people yard,” he added.

Nurse’s mother Junie, who was being comforted by family and friends, cried out that her son was killed innocently.

“He was on he grandfather step and somebody come which part he live and kill he just so. Just for telling somebody don’t break up the bottles in the yard, dem kill my child? That ain’t right man,” she said, amidst the sobbing.

The mother said she was not home when the shooting took place. She said, before leaving hours earlier she had a brief conversation with Shane whom she asked for bus fare.

“I tell he that I gine soon come back. And then I hear to come to the hospital because Shane get shoot. You know what it is [like] somebody telling a mother so?”

The family said Shane was a fruit vendor who had just ploughed a plot of land given to him by his mother. They said he made all efforts to stay out of trouble and always indicated that he had his young children to live for.

“He didn’t deserve this, my son didn’t deserve this,” the mother wept.

Shane was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) by a private vehicle, but was pronounced dead on arrival.

9 Responses to ‘I could be dead too’

1. Angela Thompson Branch
    Angela Thompson Branch December 2, 2015 at 4:21 am

• Donild Trimp December 2, 2015 at 9:17 am

I don’t think there is a word to describe this ghetto mentality.

This is one instance where I would not feel bad if the compliment (and I call it a compliment for obvious reasons) can be returned to the shooter when he is identified.

Scum of the earth.

2. jrsmith December 2, 2015 at 10:43 am

@,Donald ,Trimp, hail,hail, on the button ,I am with you. Its frightening , I am living in the UK at the moment and I am very scared, after this particular case, hundreds of visitors , would not journey to Barbados, after reading of this case.

2 shootings, within 2 hours 2 deaths, in the same area. this is beyond the ghetto, adding to this ….
    2 guns two low lifes, shooting in Westbury cemetery, 2 can heads, 1 having 2 guns,…
    2 men having an altercation on a minibus the bus stop, they got off , out comes a gun man is shot.

Hope all of our clever people is recording the statistics , on this my comments, which shows itself as …. 3 shooting incidences, ….. 5 people the shooters, between them …6 weapons. Jesus Christ ,what are we to expect, is it ,you could purchase, a bag of weed, drink a coconut water, and may be purchase or hire a gun ,from the highway roadside vender. are we coming so close in Barbados , that if you sneeze too loud and some low life dick didn’t like it , you may be shot.

• Donild Trimp December 2, 2015 at 12:55 pm

You know what is baffling to me jr, the authorities know the point of entry for all these guns coming into Barbados.

Why are they afraid to act?

3. jm December 2, 2015 at 3:38 pm

I hate this,I was born and raised in the BX.I have a tight affiliation with Bim since the age of 3. I love it there.

This is not as bad as you think.At least there in Bim ,children aren’t getting killed like in Chicago or Detroit.Here in America children are getting shot everyday.

Folks can say ,that their child is innocent but no knows the “real” on what these folks are involved in.

4. Observer December 2, 2015 at 5:11 pm

Trimp I agree with you their are scum bags and wannabes thugs I believe in this motto what goes around comes around

5. zeus December 2, 2015 at 8:06 pm

If my mind serves me correctly the deceased in this incident was charged for killing a man for breaking bottles in the same area he was found guilty of murder but was freed by the appeal court now he is dead over an issue of breaking bottles also …makes me go hmmmm….check it out BT …I may be wrong

6. Shirley December 2, 2015 at 10:56 pm

They need to start hanging these criminals that shooting people for no reason. The first one they hang the rest would stop because they find it easy to kill but they are afraid to die. Stop letting the US and UK dictate what goes on in Barbados. This is a serious problem. Government needs to stop comparing crime in Barbados to other countries and islands and focus on what is happening in Barbados. It will get worse and people will stop traveling to Barbados due to increase crime. Barbados depends on tourism how will our island survive when the tourist stop coming.

7. Mike December 4, 2015 at 8:14 pm

I think the attorney general should resigned. I can not remember any time in the history of Barbados that our attorney general didn’t move swiftly to address crime as serious as this. I am not seeing joint police and army stopping and searching vehicles. A matter a fact I hardly see police vehicles on the road at night, far less stopping and searching. The Minister of Tourism and his team work extremely hard to bring tourist and foreign currency that is much needed to Barbados and here crime under the attorney general watch is eroding the gains. We must hang these murderer and stop wasting tax payers money on them. The bible says the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. The fear of the hang man will reduce the murder rate and bring peace and much needed foreign currency to Barbados.