October 26, 2016 - Debt burden still a fiscal drag –– Forte No need for wild celebrations! That ... +++ October 26, 2016 - It’s Rubbish! Fresh from a recent bout of illness ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Pollard hits back Kieron Pollard has challenged the W ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Still hurting At one point Tuesday, Kenville Mayn ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Falling growth Government’s hopes of a near two ... +++ October 25, 2016 - Woeful Windies ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates  ... +++

No honour for bcc top student

After three years of sleepless nights and countless sacrifices, Lorin Warren finally graduated from the Barbados Community College (BCC) at the top of her class with an associate degree in arts (accounting and economics) with distinction, and a 4.0 grade point average (GPA).

However, on graduation night Warren was shocked to discover that despite her achievements, the BCC failed to recognize or reward her. She had been bypassed for a scholarship or exhibition because she completed her associate degree in three years instead of the mandatory two years.

This, she said, she understood. But she found it difficult to understand why the school acted as though she had never gone through the programme.

“I was extremely upset . . . I kind of understand why they can’t give me a scholarship, but what really had me upset was that I got no recognition at all. Not at graduation; I got no award, nothing,” said the 20-year-old.

Lorin Warren was shocked to discover that despite her achievements, the BCC failed to recognize or reward her

“Working so hard over three years . . . three years does not undermine my achievements, it doesn’t undermine all the hard work I put in; I still got straight A’s so it was very upsetting that no mention could have been made.”

She explained that her ineligibility for the scholarship was a bitter pill to swallow because she only found out during her final year.

Warren entered BCC in 2012, choosing to pursue three majors but dropped one at the end of the first semester. It meant having to complete her courses in three years, which she thought would have meant a less intense schedule. But not once did she ever imagine she would be disqualified from receiving an award to pursue further studies.

Even the tutors, she contended, did not seem to realize what was to come.

“I don’t think they were sure that I was going to be affected. If I knew earlier I would have done something to make sure I was still going to be eligible,” she said.

However, the former St Michael School pupil said while she was disappointed she was not disheartened and would explore her options to further her education.

When contacted today, acting BCC Registrar Roger Worrell said the Barbados Community College had not overlooked Lorin’s achievements, but rather there was an oversight on part of the presenter at the graduation ceremony.

“The school did not fully overlook her achievements because in the handbook that is prepared prior to graduation, it is specifically mentioned that she was awarded a distinction,” he said.

However, “what should have happened, is that the presenter at the actual graduation [when] calling the names, they should have mentioned that Ms Lorin Warren received a distinction – that was overlooked”.

Recognising that this was the first time that a student has received a 4.0 GPA over a three year period, Worrell noted that changes must

be implemented in order to ensure there was no recurrence.

“We have to look . . . next time to ensure that persons who reach that type of situation, in terms of a perfect GPA, they are specifically mentioned,” he told Barbados TODAY.

“Even though they might not be qualified to get a Barbados scholarship, they should still be recognised by the college itself and we are looking into that” Worrell added. (KK)

13 Responses to Overlooked

1. Raymond Jones
    Raymond Jones November 20, 2015 at 1:05 am

Since of entitlement, you take 3 years to do a 2 year degree get a hint.

2. Bajan away November 20, 2015 at 9:46 am

U did realize that she had 3 majors and decided to drop one right? Ok jus checking. Also I went to school and graduated with Kirin and she has always been on top of her game. You don’t know if there were issues at bcc that caused her to finishing in 3 yrs and not 2. I live away and I should be finishing my program soon but I won’t because of bad advice and advisors. Those are things you have to look at. Don’t think she just boasting because she got a 4.0. The hell many ppl would love that GPA.

3. Elma Medford November 20, 2015 at 9:53 am

Well done Lorin.

Achieving a perfect GPA is no small task whether you completed the program in 2 or 3 years. The fact of the matter is that you accomplished this task. I am sure there are a number of students who completed the program on time who are yet to see an ‘A’ on their paper.

Keep striving for excellence. You will get your just reward.

4. Mark St John November 20, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Raymond, you probably don’t get it. She only took three years because she dropped one of her majors at the end of the first semester, she didn’t had a choice to complete it in two years even if that was what she wanted to do, and it still doesn’t change the fact that she graduated with a 4.0.

5. The Bajan Scholar November 20, 2015 at 2:09 pm

She got a distinction and a 4.0 average. The issue is not if she got a scholarship or award. It is that the presenter did not mention that she has the award with a distinction and perfect grades. That is like getting your degree with honours and the presenter does not mention it. Also I see that this could have a black lash for evening students so I am going to make another thing clear. The morning programme at the BBC is two years. The evening programme is three years. I hope that employers in Barbados know the difference and don’t discriminate against people just because they were working and had to do the evening programme.

Secondly, I would advise all these young people who coming out of school, BBC, UWI to avoid the public sector. See the comment above. This is what they think of you and a few other bad things. Besides, there are no jobs there anyway. Look to start your own business or a family business if you can. If not, try the private sector.

6. Dave November 20, 2015 at 3:18 pm

It looks to me from the article that she earned 2 degrees in 3 years. That would be 2 degrees times 2 years or 4 years schooling. Took only 2 years… Now I would be aware that some of the common ptep courses would count on each degree but still she did good.

I also didn’t see a sense of entitlement from her. She just wanted recognition for a 4.0 GPA….

7. Maarcia Clarke November 21, 2015 at 12:13 am

The grade is what matters!!!!!!!!

8. Linda Loo November 21, 2015 at 10:17 am

Ok now we know you got a distinction and straight A’s….let’s move along.

9. Quinn Weekes November 22, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Keep up the good work! It doesn’t matter if you took 2 or 3 years as long as you have obtained knowledge. I hope you continue to strive for greatness and believe me when I say no one can stop you from shining. #LeagueOfGrinders

10. JG Clarke November 23, 2015 at 2:06 am

i don’t think you guys understand, she only did extra time because she switched degrees. She has straight A’s, she should be recognized for her hard work. CONGRATS TO HER !!

11. JG Clarke November 23, 2015 at 2:10 am

why do we make a special effort to cry down each other ? we cannot become a nation of hateful, spiteful individuals. she worked hard and because of a misunderstanding she had to do an extra year. She still deserves to be applauded.

12. Menace II Babylon November 23, 2015 at 10:26 am