October 26, 2016 - Wanted man bulletin Police are seeking the assistance o ... +++ October 26, 2016 - School feeding programmes could help fight NCDs A food and nutrition official has i ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Government has run out of options – Arthur Government’s fiscal policy is inf ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Sick airline A top official of regional airline ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Teachers back away from court threat The Barbados Union of Teachers (BUT ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Beacon supports regulatory move Beacon Insurance Company is giving ... +++

Out of luck

St Lucian-born businessman fed up with treatment in Barbados

Saying he was fed up with the type of treatment foreigners get in Barbados, a naturalized Barbadian, who has been living here for the past 19 years, today made an impassioned plea for justice.

St Lucian-born Alexander Philemon, who lives at Bakers, St Peter complained to Barbados TODAY that he had been
the victim of three separate robberies, which all occurred in November 2013.

And while he claims that all the alleged perpetrators are known to him, to date he said he had been unsuccessful in getting any of them apprehended by lawmen.

Alexander Philemon

Alexander Philemon

“Three times in November 2013 I was robbed and I reported the cases to the police. The last one was crystal clear,” said the clearly upset businessman, who said he was now at his wits end, having lost most of what he owns.

Speaking to Barbados TODAY from the living room of his home, Philemon, who is married to a Barbadian, said he was now left with nowhere to turn and was totally “fed up with the type of treatment foreigners get in Barbados”.

On account of the most recent attack, he said he had been forced to give up his six-month-old restaurant business, which he started in May 2013 in Greens, St George.

The alleged perpetrator was a “handyman” who had previously assisted around the restaurant.

“I used to leave the key with him so that when the female employees arrive at 8 a.m. they would gain entry to the business,” Philemon explained.

“One day around 6 a.m. he [the handyman] called me to inform me that he could not stay to hand over the key to the morning shift because he had to go and load some furniture for a company.

“I accepted his excuse and decided to come and open the restaurant. Five minutes after, he called me to say the restaurant was robbed and all of the stock was stolen,” Philemon recalled.

He said by the time he arrived at the restaurant, the handyman had disappeared.

“On arrival the police asked who had access to the place. They checked the roof, the windows, and the doors and there was no evidence of forced entry.

“[However], everything had disappeared and someone had unlocked the door.”

Philemon said he saw the handyman four days later and he said, ‘I only hope you did not believe it is me who entered the restaurant’, before “he [the handyman] dropped out of sight”.

The businessman, who also has his own registered construction firm, said he subsequently filed a complaint with the Police Complaints Authority because of the long delay in investigating the case.

He further reported that initially, the sergeant who was assigned to the case was very cooperative, but was later transferred to another police station without any settlement to his matter.

“I gave up the business after spending $40 000 in upgrading the property and then the landlord put me in court,” he told Barbados TODAY.

Philemon’s run of bad luck also saw him being “held up in broad daylight by armed assailants”.

The building contractor, who is the owner of Simon Building Construction, also complained that having built a home, the prospective homeowner refused to pay him the final $110,000, claiming that he had completed the house too quickly.

“Everybody started to rob me one by one [while] the police [are] doing nothing about the three robberies,” he told Barbados TODAY, while also charging that “they [the perpetrators] said they know the police and there is nothing I can do.

“I thought they were joking, but now it seems to be gospel,” he said.

Philemon also complained that he had bought a Nissan Navara for $90 000 from a dealer, who has since found himself before the law courts, leaving him to discover that the brakes on his vehicle were defective.

He also revealed that over the past two years he had tried his hand at farming, but “everything has crashed. “Construction is a bit slow at present. Everybody is feeling the pain where construction is concerned,” Philemon lamented.

When contacted this evening, police Public Relations Officer Acting Assistant Superintendent of Police David Welch said
he was aware of the case but promised to address the matter at a later date.

7 Responses to Out of luck

1. jrsmith November 17, 2015 at 8:35 am

My friend you are not a white person. I have black bajans friends , who is in the same boat. All because bajans don’t like to see black bajans prosper, at any business. that’s why foreigners is snapping up Barbados which is there for the taking, but not by bajans.

• Donild Trimp November 17, 2015 at 10:10 am

JRSmith, you really believe that crap?

Somebody not paying you because you “completed the house too quickly” is not robbery. Let him put a construction lien on the property.

Buying a vehicle for $90,000 and later finding out brakes are defective is not robbery. If it is out of the warranty period, the buyer is responsible for fixing the brakes. This is wasting the Police time with a nuisance report.

No break and enter at the restaurant and all stock missing. Blaming the handyman with keys to the restaurant. Gimme a break.

This so call businessman seems a little off to me. I don’t see any black/white issue here.

• Olutoye Walrond November 17, 2015 at 11:17 am

” bajans don’t like to see black bajans prosper”

Really, JR. And how did you arrive at that?
      So how do you account for the success of Channell and Jordan’s Supermarkets, Carlton, Brancker’s, Popular discount et al.

2. dave November 17, 2015 at 1:18 pm

There are always those who defy the odds but generally speaking, Bajans have an attitude that fights down their own and that situation extends to every sphere of activity . How can you Mr. Wadrond deny this ?

Donald Trimp ! Whats your point ???

• Donild Trimp November 17, 2015 at 2:14 pm

Dave, play dumb to jrsmith’s response to the article.

I responded to jrsmith turning this nonsense story into a white and black issue and the following rediculous statements “My friend you are not a white person” and “bajans don’t like to see black bajans prosper, at any business”.

Idiotic as far as I am concerned.

3. BOBO THE SAME CLOWN November 17, 2015 at 2:26 pm

If it could have been proved without doubt that this St.Lucian/Bajan was indeed robbed by someone he trusted ,then, the accused should have been brought to justice.
    Philemon, I hate to say it ,but for a businessman you don’t seem to be very smart,and as a result it would seem to me that your stupidity has contributed largely to any losses that you have had.
    When you state that after building a house that you were told that it was finished too quickly, and as a result, you weren’t paid tells me or anyone that you don’t seem to have the ability(common sense) to have a lien placed on the house until the owner comes up with the monies owing.
    Don’t blame the Police or the establishment for your stupidity when you are the culprit. You are married to a bajan of course,so maybe you are having regrets since there is no justice if you are an outsider. I could only imagine the constant bickering over the fact that Bajans are less than accommodating to foreign business owners.
    It would have been better to have kept your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool ,than to have opened it up and remove all doubts.

4. BOBO THE SAME CLOWN November 17, 2015 at 2:39 pm

Why don’t all of the Barbados bashers immigrate to Syria ,France, r Iraq,Iran, Libya or Russia. Everything is good and rosy over there, and there are lots of opportunities too.
    I guess Barbados is a bit more civil even though we are a little tiny speck in the Caribbean Sea.
    All of those that agree with Mr.Philemon’s should take him along with them to somewhere that would offer them the Utopia that they think is out there somewhere ;where everything ,is everything.